Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Townhead 1940's To 1960's , Do you remember me?
Rating 3 V
lianmy
post 20th Jun 2015, 04:36am
Post #76

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
I use to go into Smith's everyday for my Granny and get him the paper, a 5 packet of Woodbine and a 5 o'clock shadow (l think it was called) razor blade. There was a woman who use to serve in there who was really mean, can't remember what her name was. She use to scare the kids, but she was always nice to me as my Granny was really friendly with the Smith's.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ogey
post 22nd May 2016, 09:47pm
Post #77

Visitor
Member No.: 5,351
Hi, I grew up in 22 James Orr St. 1 cludgie for the whole close, when I was 8, I was allowed to use it for the 1st time. Imagine that, shitting in a pot for the first 8 years of your life, laugh.gif biggrin.gif . Anyway, I grew up with the Digney's , Danny Vera, Danny Jr.,, Billy, Thomas? and Karen. They moved to Mansel St.Balornock, and we moved to Ryemount Rd, Barmulloch. I had a good friend called Jim Daly, Celtic daft he was, haven't seen him since 1970. Hope he's still around and doing well.

Oh, we were/are the McAulays!

+Quote Post
sumac
post 24th Jun 2016, 02:13pm
Post #78

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
I haven't been on the Boards for ever such a long time, being a granny now with little time to myself! I was looking through the Townhead discussion and just had to put in my tuppence worth.
Most of my family lived in Townhead when I was wee. I was born at 40 Parson Street, the Bruces, and had one brother and four sisters, Sadie, Ian, Irene, Lynn and Audrey. I was Susanne Bruce and my mum and dad were Cathie and Johnnie. My gran and paw lived at 3 Martyr Street and Granny and Granpa Bruce lived a few doors down in Martyr Street. Us Bruces lived in a room and kitchen with outside toilet.
As was quite normal then, my older sister was sent to stay with an old auntie at a very early age, once our room and kitchen got overcrowded. She lived at 63 Parliamentary Road. I loved going round there. There was so much space! A room and kitchen for just three of them!
We went to St David's Primary. My friends were Evelyn Watson (St James' Road), Margaret Campbell
(Martyr Street), Linda Mason (Parly Road?) and some of the boys were Thomas Kelly, Shuggie Shields and Shue McNaughton. My teachers were Miss Macdonald, Mr McVicar and Mrs Jack. I loved my school days in Townhead.
We lived there from 1951 till 1965 when Townhead was pulled down. They moved us to Garthamlock, to a 3 storey terrace with 4 bedrooms, a lounge/dining room, a bathroom (inside - with a bath!!!) and a kitchen where you didn't sleep or spend your day. Unfortunately, it didn't have the city on our doorstep, it didn't have all the neighbours whose doors you could chap on if you needed a "piece" or help, but it did have horrible youths who made your life miserable. We weren't used to any of that, yet they called our old home in Townhead a slum!!!
I'd love to know if anybody out there remembers me or any of my family or friends from the Toonheid.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 24th Jun 2016, 02:59pm
Post #79

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
I dont know you sumac but you write with such nostalgia for our (i left the Toonheid in 71 to come to SA) lost lives. It was slum living as we know it now but a real community for those of us fortunate to have lived there

+Quote Post
**johnkerr52**
post 10th Aug 2016, 10:38am
Post #80

i was born in townhead in 1952 along with my 3 brothers and sister we stayed at 68 rottenrow in a flat with one bedroom /kitchen ,the house situated across from the auld mans home we called it was a former shop the room was massive and an outside toilet shared by all in the close the families helped each other out in those days, my mum made a huge pot cabbage and ham rib soup and the welshes next door would get theirs too,we went to toonheid primary then onto city public secondary before moving to dennistoun in the early sixties , but i always loved the townhead where all our friends and other relations stayed at morrin square- weaver street- taylor street -collins street -cathedral street-george street ,tarbert street,balmano brae ,i can remember the families called - welshes -careys- stuarts- samsons-mclagans-coyles-baxsters-mckays-campbells-to name a few we went to the boy scouts and boys brigade at the barony church i always remembered CAPTAIN TAYLOR a really fine man but sadly the townhead i knew is no more although my mum still stays at cathedral street all the rest has been demolished to make way for mostly foreign students in the residential halls and universities now there ,how sad is that our way of life in glasgow and old traditions are dying by the second to people who will leave as soon as they get their education completed.

+Quote Post
nbjb50
post 12th Aug 2016, 04:14am
Post #81

Unpacking
Member No.: 33,075
QUOTE (sumac @ 25th Jun 2016, 12:13am) *
I haven't been on the Boards for ever such a long time, being a granny now with little time to myself! I was looking through the Townhead discussion and just had to put in my tuppence worth.
Most of my family lived in Townhead when I was wee. I was born at 40 Parson Street, the Bruces, and had one brother and four sisters, Sadie, Ian, Irene, Lynn and Audrey. I was Susanne Bruce and my mum and dad were Cathie and Johnnie. My gran and paw lived at 3 Martyr Street and Granny and Granpa Bruce lived a few doors down in Martyr Street. Us Bruces lived in a room and kitchen with outside toilet.
As was quite normal then, my older sister was sent to stay with an old auntie at a very early age, once our room and kitchen got overcrowded. She lived at 63 Parliamentary Road. I loved going round there. There was so much space! A room and kitchen for just three of them!
We went to St David's Primary. My friends were Evelyn Watson (St James' Road), Margaret Campbell
(Martyr Street), Linda Mason (Parly Road?) and some of the boys were Thomas Kelly, Shuggie Shields and Shue McNaughton. My teachers were Miss Macdonald, Mr McVicar and Mrs Jack. I loved my school days in Townhead.
We lived there from 1951 till 1965 when Townhead was pulled down. They moved us to Garthamlock, to a 3 storey terrace with 4 bedrooms, a lounge/dining room, a bathroom (inside - with a bath!!!) and a kitchen where you didn't sleep or spend your day. Unfortunately, it didn't have the city on our doorstep, it didn't have all the neighbours whose doors you could chap on if you needed a "piece" or help, but it did have horrible youths who made your life miserable. We weren't used to any of that, yet they called our old home in Townhead a slum!!!
I'd love to know if anybody out there remembers me or any of my family or friends from the Toonheid.

Hi Susanne

I came across your post by chance and discovered you are my niece. I am Norrie Bruce your Dad's younger brother. I live in Australia now and have been for 50 years.

I won't go into details just yet but my email is nbjb1940@gmail.com
Hopefully we can catch up. Take care.

Norrie.

+Quote Post
nbjb50
post 19th Aug 2016, 10:46am
Post #82

Unpacking
Member No.: 33,075
Trying to contact Sumac.

Norrie Bruce (Uncle).

+Quote Post
sumac
post 19th Aug 2016, 11:59am
Post #83

Super Lord Provost
Hi, Uncle Norrie! I've sent you an e-mail. I am so delighted to hear from you. I have very happy memories of visiting you when you lived in Barlanark (?) when I was really wee.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sumac
post 19th Aug 2016, 02:26pm
Post #84

Super Lord Provost
Oh, Dave, how I would love to go back to the Auld Toonheid! On one of our Doors Open days here (every September you can visit a host of places for free) I took Mum to St Mungo's Chapel. We had lived next door to St Mungo's school and the Priests' House so it really was a treat to go. Mum got talking to the priest then and discovered that Father John Mary had recently died. Although we were not Catholic, Father used to pop in to see Mum (and us) practically every day. We both remembered him fondly. After leaving the chapel, we went for a wee walk. Where our tenement had stood was on the now motorway. We then went to visit St David's School and City Public to discover that my beloved primary school had been mostly demolished and one wall was all tattered with wall insulation blowing in the wind, and that City Public still stood but I don't know what it had become. I am so sad that I can't let my children and grandchildren see where I came from. You said I sounded nostalgic. Yes, I am, but I'm also heartbroken. blush4.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 20th Aug 2016, 05:53am
Post #85

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
I remember Father John Mary very well, sorry to hear of his passing.
My Grandad worked in the chapel house and the priests use to come to my Granny's house quite a bit for a chat and a cup of tea.
Every time I come back to Glasgow I always pop into St Mungo's Chapel and say a wee prayer for my Granny and Grandad.

+Quote Post
bamp
post 16th Dec 2016, 07:32pm
Post #86

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,532
QUOTE (sumac @ 19th Aug 2016, 02:26pm) *
Oh, Dave, how I would love to go back to the Auld Toonheid! On one of our Doors Open days here (every September you can visit a host of places for free) I took Mum to St Mungo's Chapel. We had lived next door to St Mungo's school and the Priests' House so it really was a treat to go. Mum got talking to the priest then and discovered that Father John Mary had recently died. Although we were not Catholic, Father used to pop in to see Mum (and us) practically every day. We both remembered him fondly. After leaving the chapel, we went for a wee walk. Where our tenement had stood was on the now motorway. We then went to visit St David's School and City Public to discover that my beloved primary school had been mostly demolished and one wall was all tattered with wall insulation blowing in the wind, and that City Public still stood but I don't know what it had become. I am so sad that I can't let my children and grandchildren see where I came from. You said I sounded nostalgic. Yes, I am, but I'm also heartbroken. blush4.gif

Hi sumac I am bamp or John scott I echo all you say. I went to St Davids and used to take diversions to let me drive past it. I did this for years as it was one of the remaining buildings I could relate to. I would be in my fifties when one day I passed by to find it flattened, that night I shed a few tears as my last link to my happy childhood had gone

+Quote Post
**David M**
post 11th May 2017, 09:17pm
Post #87

QUOTE (Ogey @ 22nd May 2016, 09:47pm) *
Hi, I grew up in 22 James Orr St. 1 cludgie for the whole close, when I was 8, I was allowed to use it for the 1st time. Imagine that, shitting in a pot for the first 8 years of your life, laugh.gif biggrin.gif . Anyway, I grew up with the Digney's , Danny Vera, Danny Jr.,, Billy, Thomas? and Karen. They moved to Mansel St.Balornock, and we moved to Ryemount Rd, Barmulloch. I had a good friend called Jim Daly, Celtic daft he was, haven't seen him since 1970. Hope he's still around and doing well.

Oh, we were/are the McAulays!

Jim Daly: Is my cousin and he is still alive and well. Still living in Balornock not far from his old family home on Ferness Road. Jim is 70 now and a grandparent more than once. If you visit the old neighbourhood and ask for Jim Daly you will not be long in finding him. Not in the "broomie" as you may be aware it burnt doon.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 1st Jul 2017, 10:18am
Post #88

Hello! I'm trying to piece together my father's childhood/adolescence. Name: Daniel McKirdy; He was born in 1933 at 10 Canning Place (that's what his birth certificate said); Anyone on this message board know him?

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 2nd Jul 2017, 02:06pm
Post #89

Hi! Trying to piece together my dad's (Daniel McKirdy) childhood/adolescence. Born in 1933 at 10 Canning Place. He attended Canning Place Public School. Anybody know him?

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.