Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No Mean City, make a great movie
possilboy
post 1st Mar 2009, 12:54am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi i just read the follow up it is called mean city my sister got it in second in thailand of all places
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klingon
post 16th Jul 2009, 08:13pm
Post #17

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (johnwatson @ 1st Mar 2009, 01:48am) *
hi i just read the follow up it is called mean city my sister got it in second in thailand of all places

Been a couple of follow up books written-one I read a few years ago called "no mean people" but cannae find a copy noo

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
klingon
post 16th Jul 2009, 08:15pm
Post #18

Super Resident
QUOTE (Guest Londongirl * @ 29th Jun 2007, 11:28am) *
I really enjoyed No Mean City.
I think it would make a great film.
Who would play Razor King?

Bobby Carlyle?-Does a great wee Maryhill ned!-(also a great Adolf Hitler,Begbie,Bond villiain-etc etc)

--------------------

+Quote Post
klingon
post 16th Jul 2009, 08:18pm
Post #19

Super Resident
QUOTE (Gallusbisom @ 7th Jul 2007, 10:03pm) *
Hello all, I have not read the book because my Mum said it was not representative of "Glasgow" and she would get quite annoyed that the world over people would take this book as being the way Glasgow was. I will read it now. BEFORE I read it, I am going too hazzard a guess that some things are spot on and some are maybe more than most of our famililes experienced. GB

It's pretty accurate kid-right down to the "red biddy!"-I know -I was there!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 17th Jul 2009, 12:33am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
I read this book quite some time ago and I'd agree with GB's mother that it is not representative of "Glasgow", well not of all of Glasgow. There were of course areas of the city which back in these post WWI and during the depression years, were very much just as the book presents them. I feel the book essentially captures an ambiance of what I think those days were like, and what I myself found them to be from my somewhat meagre experience while living in Govan.

The use of "dancing" as a background to some of the incidents for example, helped greatly in making several of the scenes very realistic. Likewise, the continual use of the drinking habit among many Glaswegians served to add a touch of realism. It's worth mentioning too, how the author(s) had the centre of the city in, what I believe, was a realistic perspective. I'm thinking here about how I, when living in Govan, felt very much the same about "going up the town" as was portrayed in the story.

Yes, there were many things in the book with which I found it very easy to identify, but there were also many things which were quite foreign to my experiences in Govan. The two young ballroom dancers performing for the well-to-do people in the "Pollokshields" area (I may have the wrong area here) for example. The brutality of the gang and individual fights wasn't something I ever saw in Govan, but I had of course heard of it.

It's a depressing book. Well, I found it depressing anyway. Maybe it struck me this way because I was aware of how the Glaswegian author eventually went back to the alcoholic way of life that eventually killed him. I don't think non-Glaswegians would find the book to their liking. Depressing or not, I'd recommend the book and I'm pretty sure any Glaswegian who starts it will read it through to the end.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 17th Jul 2009, 12:56am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (AGNES & ROBERT @ 27th Dec 2008, 02:49am) *
I couldn't think of anybody better than Robert Carlyle to play Johnny Stark in No Mean City, a good book and somewhat near the truth ,razors & chains were a common thing around the Gorbals & Calton area, the Valley in Maryhill had a bad name as well, I think today's standards are a lot worse.There is a book called THREE TEARS FOR GLASGOW, THIS IS A TRUE STORY, I think his coach(MURRAY) and Manager wrote the book. It's about an Amateur Boxer Jim Watt from Kinning Park and a girl, they both lived on Cornwall St.Jim Watt stabbed his girlfriend outside the school there,then killed himself, this book is a must and every word ,fact ( A GLASGOW TRAGEDY), I believe this tragedy happened on 1963

No Mean City portrayed, for me, to the greater part, the Glasgow with which I was acquainted, (my left hand still bears the scars ... in defence of my face) but I never knew about Jim Watt's tragic story. My mate back then, also an amateur boxer, trained with him.
Of course I also knew the other part of Glasgow, the people who'd share their last bit of food in the cupboard with you, look after you when you were down, slap you down a bit when you got too uppity.
Salt of the earth.
( hope you're still like that: find out soon,eh?)
Heh, Dugald, pick your pub. We'll have a beer - nae gettin' drunk tho'.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 17th Jul 2009, 01:12am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
That's it lads..bury the hatchet...................No' too deep though! tongue.gif

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 17th Jul 2009, 09:21pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
"Heh, Dugald, pick your pub. We'll have a beer - nae gettin' drunk tho' "

Thanks for the invitation Thh, but whit kind o' invitation is this...3600 miles for one beer and nae gettin' drunk? Anyway, I'm a single malt man, 'n can't handle that beer stuff. Bit awright, ah'll see ye at the State Bar on Sauchiehall St at a quarter to, and bring that big German mate o' yours and we won't have to worry aboot any latter-day Johnny Starks. Cheers!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 17th Jul 2009, 10:39pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Your on. and in good company wi' the German. He's a whiskey man, and no blended stuff.
See you then.
PM your Handy No., sorry Mobile Cell Phone Number, and I'll give you a buzz when we're on Sauchiehall St. (Just saying that name feels great already)

--------------------

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 17th Jul 2009, 11:38pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Geez Thh, did ye no get the 3600 miles message? Cell phone, Handy, whitever, ah still use the boxes that were once red. I'll only be seeing Sauchiehall street through a thick mist of imagination, but tell the big German tae have a Glennfiddich for me... oh, and that's for me not on me!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 17th Jul 2009, 11:43pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
And here's me thinking you got the distance between Basel and Glasgow a bit wrong.
I thought the " quarter to.." was missing the 2.
We'll have one for you.
(Gonni no let too many people see this, ae no?) rolleyes.gif wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 18th Jul 2009, 12:30am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
aw thats a shame, a really thought that yoo were going dugald, a wasn't too sure aboot the 3,6000miles thing. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 18th Jul 2009, 01:04am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
You're no 3,600 miles away lass. Want tae take the p##s oot a big German?
(Love tae get that on film for Mary) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
or are you?
Any volunteers?

--------------------

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 18th Jul 2009, 01:17am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Tee am almost that far away , and aye that would be some laugh eh!. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 20th Jul 2009, 02:41am
Post #30

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
Not been in the State bar in a long while now, last time I was in there I left in a helluva state!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.