Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> What's For Ye, Won 't Go By Ye, Glasgow Family at War and into the 60's
Rating 2 V
elle
post 21st Apr 2007, 12:06am
Post #31

Special Visitor
Member No.: 3,309
Georgia:

I have a very good friend called Vince Powell, he wrote just about every sit-com for Thames TV...Never the Twain, Love Thy Neighbour, George & Mildred to name a few. He read my manuscript and loved it. He told me to go for it. He advised me to be prepared for the refusals but to keep going and never give up, and just like 'Robert the Bruce' this is what I did. It was a very hard and costly business in the beginning. I spent over a couple of years writing to publishers & booksellers, sending manuscripts then finally books off and telephoning them. Now my perseverance is paying off and my novel is practically selling itself by word of mouth all over the world! (even Tesco are selling it on-line) biggrin.gif

I was just wondering if your friend Vince Powell ever suggested your book could have been turned into a sit-com? The fact he was a good friend, could he not have helped you in any way with this? smile.gif
They are always on the look-out for good sit-coms.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 21st Apr 2007, 12:20am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
QUOTE (georgia @ 12th Feb 2007, 05:13 PM) *
Hi Java,

I wrote to and emailed my manuscript to hundreds of publishers, who liked it but were reluctant to put my book into print because I wasn’t already a famous author. They all encouraged me not to give up and some recommended other publishers who might be interested in my work. Finally I got down to three publishers who loved my novel and wanted to publish it. In January 2006, I made the decision to go with Derwent Press and by March 2006 my book was on sale all over the world. You can see their website at www.derwentpress.com

Pam Marin-Kingsley, who is based in Boston and designed the cover of my book, has now taken over the company. She is a very talented lady who has worked on many films and book covers. We worked back and forth by email, she put my thoughts onto paper and after many different ideas, we came up with the final result which I was delighted with.

Self publishing is very popular now with the internet being a great sales base however a publishing company still has to accept your work because they have to put their name to it.

Most publishers who deal in self publishing for authors will get your book onto Amazon, but the author has to do their own sales and marketing and getting it into the shops is extremely difficult and costly. You have to send off loads of copies to different booksellers (which you have to buy from your publisher), some booksellers don't bother to get back, others have the courtesy to reply. I was very lucky that Waterstones liked my novel and put it onto their database to be sold in their Scottish shops. My publisher was delighted and amazed, he said that I must have wonderful powers of persuasion because Waterstones are known for NEVER accepting first time authors and very seldom take on authors who self publish, result was that Waterstones took an all the authors by Derwent Press, so my publisher was a very happy man. I managed to get Borders and Ottakars to sell my book in their Glasgow shops too.

I have a very good friend called Vince Powell, he wrote just about every sit-com for Thames TV...Never the Twain, Love Thy Neighbour, George & Mildred to name a few. He read my manuscript and loved it. He told me to go for it. He advised me to be prepared for the refusals but to keep going and never give up, and just like 'Robert the Bruce' this is what I did. It was a very hard and costly business in the beginning. I spent over a couple of years writing to publishers & booksellers, sending manuscripts then finally books off and telephoning them. Now my perseverance is paying off and my novel is practically selling itself by word of mouth all over the world! (even Tesco are selling it on-line) biggrin.gif
waterstones sold sam smiths book annie moon and my sisterinlaw said she was going to complain as whom ever proofed her book must have been brahms and list and a agree a think when somone wants money for somthing ie 78and a half percent and a large lump of money are exploiters as some books a have read were no bad but some where utter rubbish and to give false hope is a disgrace and a noticed that none of the famous people had to pay they get paid a part of the money befor the have even put pen to paper just a wee opinion georgia a cant comment on your book as the libary have not got it on shelves yet a might get it out when in scotland nextime

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
angel
post 21st Apr 2007, 12:22am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Aw Georgia,
and I thought you were a Pole Dancer,
Great Stuff. Angel

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 21st Apr 2007, 01:48am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Hi Stuarty,

I don't agree that its giving false hope.There are lots of good authors out there who can't get on the bandwaggon. Self-publishing and the internet gives them a step up. It's not just a case of paying to get your book published, you still have to be accepted by a publisher, even if you are self publishing. The self publishing company will put your book on Amazon and other internet sites and it's up to the author to do their own promotions and get their book into the shops and onto any other sites that might be interested.

It is hard work but it is a very rewarding and satisfying feeling to have written a book and had it accepted for publishing, especially when people write to you to tell you how much they enjoyed your book and ask you if you will be writing another. By the time I got my book published, I said then that I wouldn't write another one, but now here I am halfway through a sequel and only because I have been overwhelmed by the lovely compliments, emails and letters I have had from people all over the world telling me how much they enjoyed the story and how they could relate to it. I could never have experienced this if I hadn't self-published!

The larger publishing companies deal with famous people because they know the authors name will do the work and make it a best seller, so that's why they give a percentage up front and pay for all the sales promotions in the shops, newspapers and press etc.,

I disagree that companies who offer self publishing to authors are exploiting them. This a way for authors to get themselves noticed by the more famous publishing companies. It's not the first author who has self-published then been approached to sign a contract with Harper Collins etc, There was a vicar on TV recently who did just that and now he has signed a deal worth a couple of million for a film to be made out of one of his books. He would never have got that chance if it hadn't been for self-publishing!

Re. your sister-in-law's book, did she not get the first copy off the press to proof read and accept before it went on sale???? I did!.... AND I sent it back because the American editor had altered some of my Glasgow dialect and my spelling of whisky to whiskey. I made them change it and it didn't go on sale until I was happy with it!

Incidentally, Have you asked your library about my book? I only discovered last week that it is in the library where I live in Surrey. A guy came up to me in our local pub and told me how much his mother had enjoyed my book and that he was going to read it next. I asked him where he had bought it from and he informed me that it was in the library. I went down to the library a couple of days ago, the librarians made me very welcome, they said that it was popular and showed me all the date stamps on the inside cover. They also asked me about a sequel and asked me to let them know when it comes out because they definitely want to order a half dozen copies!.......And all thanks to self-publishing!

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Avril
post 21st Apr 2007, 01:57am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (elle @ 21st Apr 2007, 01:23 AM) *
I was just wondering if your friend Vince Powell ever suggested your book could have been turned into a sit-com? The fact he was a good friend, could he not have helped you in any way with this? smile.gif
They are always on the look-out for good sit-coms.

Elle, it's not really sit-com material, although it has it's funny bits, it also has a lot a seriousness to it too!

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
elle
post 21st Apr 2007, 02:25am
Post #36

Special Visitor
QUOTE (georgia @ 21st Apr 2007, 02:14 AM) *
Elle, it's not really sit-com material, although it has it's funny bits, it also has a lot a seriousness to it too!

Awe, what a shame. My husband will probably read your book first. Georgia. He pows his way through books a lot quicker than I do. I've been reading a crime novel by Elizabeth George for months. I'm a bedtime reader, and my husband reads book throughout the day. I prefer to work on my computer.

I also enjoy the British crime series from Elizabeth George's books, with Detective Inspector Lynley as the main character. I watch all the British crime series. Helen Merrin is a wonderful actress in "Prime Suspect."

Getting back to your book, I'm pleased to hear you're writing a sequel, and it's nice to hear of a Glasgow girl becoming famous. smile.gif So more power to you, Georgia!

+Quote Post
elle
post 21st Apr 2007, 02:47am
Post #37

Special Visitor
Georgia:

Incidentally, Have you asked your library about my book? I only discovered last week that it is in the library where I live in Surrey. A guy came up to me in our local pub and told me how much his mother had enjoyed my book and that he was going to read it next. I asked him where he had bought it from and he informed me that it was in the library. I went down to the library a couple of days ago, the librarians made me very welcome, they said that it was popular and showed me all the date stamps on the inside cover. They also asked me about a sequel and asked me to let them know when it comes out because they definitely want to order a half dozen copies!.......And all thanks to self-publishing!

Georgia,

Have you thought of asking the librarian if you could be booked for a one hour session on telling the public about your book, seeing they already have it on their shelves and are ordering more? Over here, they allow local authors to visit the library, and even bring along copies of their books for sale. They are always on the lookout for interesting authors who are also good speakers, if you are good at it, why not (?). People love to meet real authors.

No harm in asksing.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 21st Apr 2007, 07:39am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Elle, Thanks for your advice and your positive views, I really do appreciate your interest.

I have been asked to read excerpts from my novel in local bookshops but as yet I haven't accepted because my stomach churns every time I think about it. I feel that I would feel more comfortable reading in a Scottish bookshop rather than an English one. I don't really know why because lots of English people have read my book and said that they could relate to it which amazed me!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 21st Apr 2007, 07:41am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
come on georgia yo can do t pal

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
Avril
post 21st Apr 2007, 08:18am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Ah will, ah will Anne but ah'm jist a wee bit feart! sad.gif wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 21st Apr 2007, 08:21am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
tongue.gif tongue.gif feint heart never won fair english audience

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
Avril
post 21st Apr 2007, 08:22am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (angel @ 21st Apr 2007, 01:39 AM) *
Aw Georgia,
and I thought you were a Pole Dancer,
Great Stuff. Angel

laugh.gif Ah might write a pole dancer intae ma next book and call her Angel!, watch this space! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 21st Apr 2007, 08:25am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Anne1 @ 21st Apr 2007, 09:38 AM) *
feint heart never won fair english audience

laugh.gif An' many English entertainers huv died oan the stage at the Glasgow Empire laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 21st Apr 2007, 08:27am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
laugh.gif laugh.gif and me Anne the flamenco dancerAttached Image ave put on a bit o weight since last picture

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 21st Apr 2007, 08:29am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
laugh.gif laugh.gif well if you can win a scottish auience means youe passed the test girl

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.