Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> What's For Ye, Won 't Go By Ye, Glasgow Family at War and into the 60's
Rating 2 V
Avril
post 8th Aug 2006, 07:26am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
I have just had a novel about Glasgow published. The story starts in Possilpark in 1950 with 2 year old Linda Macgregor. It traces back to her grandparents then tells the romantic love story of her parents during the second world war. It takes in trips 'Doon the Watter' from the Broomielaw to Rothesay, over the Forth Rail Bridge to Fife and the east coast. Also Ruchill, Maryhill (including Jaconelli's cafe), Milton, Springburn, Glasgow City Centre and many other areas of Glasgow. When I was little in the 1950's, I listened to my grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, neighbours and visitors talking about the good and bad times during the war and 'the olden days'. This has inspired me to do more research and write this tale about a fiction family growing up in Glasgow during these times. In true Glasgow fashion the humour shines through, even when times are tough! The book is titled 'What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye' (By Avril Dalziel Saunders) ISBN:1-84667-013-6. It is selling well all over the world and exceptionally well in Scotland and Canada. I was going to use my maiden name of 'Lochhead' but as we already have the very famous Liz Lochhead, I thought that I had better stick to my married name. rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 8th Aug 2006, 11:28pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Good luck with the novel. I will try and get a copy sounds like a good read.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 9th Aug 2006, 02:08am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
Well done, Georgia and welcome to the Glasgow guide ah'm sure you've read a few cracking stories on here annawe, ha ha.
Good on ya, I'll look out for it over here,... sounds great,...Ah wiz born in the Milton and frequented Possil park to visit ma auntie's,... actually ah'll get ma maw to grab one when she's over hame this month,...Oh by the way... she'll be in Surrey visiting my brother,... will she be able to get a signed copy somehow??? (one can only try, ha ha.)...Cheers. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
karyn
post 11th Aug 2006, 11:22pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,418
good luck georgia xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx smile.gif

--------------------
away in a dwalm

+Quote Post
keelie gal
post 11th Aug 2006, 11:53pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,519
Gaun yersell doll wink.gif

--------------------
ITS NICE TO BE NICE

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th Aug 2006, 06:13pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks to all for your positive responses to my new Glasgow novel 'What's For Ye, Won 't Go By Ye'. Signed copies will be no problem. Visit my website www.avrildsaunders.co.uk which isn't quite finished but you can email me direct through it and I can arrange to send out dedicated signed copies of my book.

This post has been edited by georgia: 14th Aug 2006, 06:32pm

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 15th Aug 2006, 03:05am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
Hi Georgia thanks for the email...Looking forward to your website getting up and running properly soon,...by the way, good to have someone famous alang side us here and nice to put a face to a name...you look lovely. Enjoy the Glasgow guide when ya have a minute between books and your welcome to join in on the topics and patter annawe.

....Tori wub.gif

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 30th Jan 2007, 05:54am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
I just posted in another topic called The Night Soong of the last tram regarding the other Glasgow book. So I suggested one ought to read Whats For Ye Won`t Go By Ye,cos a thought folks oan here would want tae hear awe aboot this wee Gem of a book written by one of our own GG Members. What`s For Ye Won`t Go By ye was so good I even commented oan what a thought of the book, it`s a wee Gem for sure I loved it so I did cover tae cover never had a dull moment even. I liked the pure honesty in it & the research ye did was so accurate Georgia so well done dolls I definitely wish ye awe the best with it Georgia so when are we getting the sequell? och hen ye huvty tae dae the qequell am wantin tae know awe aboot the after life of the wee 60s cracker who gets on to a successfull life of Love etc. biggrin.gif wub.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Avril
post 30th Jan 2007, 09:54am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Linda,

Thanks for the marvellous feedback on my novel 'What's For Ye, Won't go by Ye' (even though you posted it on 'Night Song of The Last Tram' Ha! Ha!) Seriously though, readers reviews are very important to me and I do appreciate you taking the time to write it smile.gif

I have had great reviews on other websites too and I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who bought my book. I've just been told by my publisher that Christmas sales were excellent.

I have been asked to do a sequel. I am halfway through it and into the 70's at the moment (I'd probably be further on if I didn't spend so much time on GGBB.......Ha! Ha! laugh.gif)

Incidentally for those who have asked on GG, signed copies of my book are available on this link

www.glesga.ukpals.com/profiles/avrilsaunders.htm

Or it can be purchased on most book websites worldwide and main bookshops in Glasgow.

Best wishes to all XXX

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
matt.63
post 10th Feb 2007, 08:38pm
Post #10

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,502
hello georgia just ordered your novel on the web page you posted ,just have to read it after reading the posts praising it so much one of my many pastimes is reading a good book but what made me so interested in yours was someone mentioning the dummy railway that brought back so many memories.
I was born and lived in Panmure st and used to use the dummy railway as a shortcut to get to the Mecca picture house always remember i had an accident on the railway bridge and cut my head badly still got the scar anyway enough of that I look forwards to recieving your book and will let you know when i have read it

--------------------
A man's a man for a that

+Quote Post
Avril
post 11th Feb 2007, 02:46pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Matt, thank you very much for ordering my novel, a signed copy will be in the post to you this week. I hope you enjoy it and that it stirs up some nostalgia for you.

Best Wishes

Georgia

--------------------

+Quote Post
scossie
post 12th Feb 2007, 08:17am
Post #12

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,223
QUOTE (georgia @ 8th Aug 2006, 07:43 AM)
I have just had a novel about Glasgow published. The story starts in Possilpark in 1950 with 2 year old Linda Macgregor. It traces back to her grandparents then tells the romantic love story of her parents during the second world war. It takes in trips 'Doon the Watter' from the Broomielaw to Rothesay, over the Forth Rail Bridge to Fife and the east coast. Also Ruchill, Maryhill (including Jaconelli's cafe), Milton, Springburn, Glasgow City Centre and many other areas of Glasgow. When I was little in the 1950's, I listened to my grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, neighbours and visitors talking about the good and bad times during the war and 'the olden days'. This has inspired me to do more research and write this tale about a fiction family growing up in Glasgow during these times. In true Glasgow fashion the humour shines through, even when times are tough! The book is titled 'What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye' (By Avril Dalziel Saunders) ISBN:1-84667-013-6. It is selling well all over the world and exceptionally well in Scotland and Canada. I was going to use my maiden name of 'Lochhead' but as we already have the very famous Liz Lochhead, I thought that I had better stick to my married name. rolleyes.gif

Hi Pals...Hi Georgia...( noe Sookin)....I walked across the forth Rail Bridge With The Cowlairs Loco Works Discussion Group About 1957 period..And guess what..Yes ..Awe the money flung oot the Coach windae's was lying there..Remember make a wish time..Sorry if ye other skunners cannae remember this period..But it wiz a luvly period..And ..Yes..We picked up a few bob..Ha'Ha'..Thank goodness ah coach door didnae open or wie would awe hiv been wiped oot..A tight squeeze area..Yes..A'h know whit yir thinkin!!!!!!!!!!!..Be nice..Well at least try...Riddrieperson wiz right aboot the steamy...Yes kin talk under water..Bet that stirs ye up..Ha'Ha''Ah'm oota here..Now where did I put that sun lotion..H.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..Och aye.Its beside the hops..ciao biggrin.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Jockstrap

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 12th Feb 2007, 08:38am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
hi georgia my ex partners ma wrotr a book called annie moon it was printed and i had a wee part sayin for my dear gary and marnie and the bit a added was just because it was a rauncky book and based on real people but names changed just as well her boy didnt were well in the book a knew whom aws who minirver printed it for her but a think their proofers were crap wub.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Avril
post 12th Feb 2007, 12:28pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Aye Jock ah remember only too well the trips o'er the Forth Rail Bridge and ma daddy giein' us a' pennies tae throw over an' make a wish. There must be a wee fortune in auld pennies lying at the bottom of the Forth laugh.gif I've put these memories into my novel through the fictitious MacGregor family.

Stuarty when was the book by your ex-parters mother published and what's it about? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 12th Feb 2007, 01:29pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
it was about a wumin that lost everything and she becomes a woman of thenight but it has twists and turns and a really quirky ending it was printed in 1995a think annie moon it is orange and dusky front by sam smith the book is the only onre she had printed i have a first edition set in war time near primrose hill miniver was the printers but she had to pay them a dont think that sounds like a good deal to me a lot of nice people and the nasty people get theire comeuppance laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.