Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Death Of Demons, by Eric Moran
bilbo.s
post 8th Apr 2011, 06:52pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Crewsy. I can assure you that, in my day Shettleston certainly was in Glasgow. I must admit however, that my mother went out to the wilds of Plains, Airdrie to have me, and I only entered the Holy City 6 days later. I think you are wrong mind you, as the census documents clearly state " Shettleston, Barony, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. biggrin.gif

P.S. I see from other sources that the incorporation to Glasgow only took place in 1912, one year after the census, but I should think that is purely an administrative matter.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 8th Apr 2011, 07:11pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
Aye, of course, he is a lawyer or budding one, so the facts are important.

Im from the south my first recollection of Shettleston was about 1970 when I had occasion to travel to Coatbridge weekly, there was a green bus that went via shettleton, i remember Shettleston Rd became Old Shettleston Rd, then via Coatbridge to Broxburn, memory says it was a number 16,

Does that ring any bells.

edit, Dont listen tae Lawyers and Politicians, interesting childhood aside.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 8th Apr 2011, 07:32pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
In my day, the green buses ( Scottish Omnibuses, formerly SMT) went from Killermont Street Bus Station. Destinations to Clarkston (Airdrie), Caldercruix, Longriggend and Edinburgh via Bathgate all went through Shettleston. There was also Clarkston via Lightburn which took the New Edinburgh Road.

When my folks moved to Plains, I stayed with my aunts in North Mount Vernon for convenient travel to school ( 1955-59) and I went to Plains at weekends. There was an Edinburgh bus every 20 minutes, a Caldercruix one the same and Longriggend hourly. What a mess it is nowadays.

I am unsure if you know the facts about John Wheatley´s (1908-88) later life. Try a google.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 8th Apr 2011, 07:45pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 8th Apr 2011, 07:49pm) *
In my day, the green buses ( Scottish Omnibuses, formerly SMT) went from Killermont Street Bus Station. Destinations to Clarkston (Airdrie), Caldercruix, Longriggend and Edinburgh via Bathgate all went through Shettleston. There was also Clarkston via Lightburn which took the New Edinburgh Road.

When my folks moved to Plains, I stayed with my aunts in North Mount Vernon for convenient travel to school ( 1955-59) and I went to Plains at weekends. There was an Edinburgh bus every 20 minutes, a Caldercruix one the same and Longriggend hourly. What a mess it is nowadays.

I am unsure if you know the facts about John Wheatley&acute;s (1908-88) later life. Try a google.

Cheers Bilbo, that clears it up for me.

I worry that in some future the answer to every question is Google it,

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 8th Apr 2011, 07:49pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Crewsy Fixer @ 8th Apr 2011, 10:02pm) *
Cheers Bilbo, that clears it up for me.

I worry that in some future the answer to every question is Google it,

It is a slight worry, inasmuch as you get 734, 867,542 answers on average. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 8th Apr 2011, 07:57pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Its getting out of hand. somebody needs to control things. This thread for instance. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 8th Apr 2011, 08:04pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Ok, get back on topic mellow.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
angel
post 8th Apr 2011, 09:53pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 8th Apr 2011, 07:19am) *
Wonderful book - especially if you know Barcelona, which I first visited in 1966. smile.gif

Bill, both books are set in Barcelona and with some of the same characters,
I'm thinking that I may have a problem as to which is the better book, smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 8th Apr 2011, 10:51pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Crewsy Fixer @ 8th Apr 2011, 03:58pm) *
Ive got three growing up in Glasgow books,

One By Molly Weir, Springburn, another By John (Lord ) Wheatley), Shettleston, and one by a guy Called George Mitchell, Ruchill.

George Mtchells wee book " Comfy Glasgow" was a heartwarming read of his tales of Growing up in Glasgow. I had never heard of George Mitchell, it was the book title "Comfy Glasgow" that caught my eye..

+Quote Post
angel
post 17th Apr 2011, 03:55pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (angel @ 8th Apr 2011, 09:10pm) *
Bill, both books are set in Barcelona and with some of the same characters,
I'm thinking that I may have a problem as to which is the better book, smile.gif

I have just finished , Zafon's book, "Against the wind",what a wonderful read,
"The Angel"s game" also excellent,this book I came across while I was
in Nantucket last year, until that time I had never heard of this author
I seem to have read these books in the wrong order,and now I understand
there is another called " Prince of the mist" pubished in 1992,"his first book,"
so I'm off tomorrow to see if I can find it . smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 17th Apr 2011, 05:18pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Angel, I have not yet read "The Angel´s Game" but I will do so soon. As far as I know, "The Shadow of the Wind" was considered his first "adult" novel and " Prince of the Mist " was for "young adults", whatever that may mean. BTW I see that Angel´s Game was translated by the daughter of poet Robert Graves, who lived in Deya, Mallorca.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.