Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> John Mulligan 1950-2005, ... death of a Scottish writer
Luceo
post 30th Oct 2005, 12:01am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
Yesterday it was reported that the Scottish writer John Mulligan was killed in a road accident in California.

Born in Scotland, John emigrated to the US with his parents and family as a young man and was drafted into the US Army when he was eighteen. On completing his basic training he volunteered for service in Vietnam explaining that he felt that as an immigrant he was obliged to do more than American kids of his age.

He survived his tour in Vietnam but in common with many veterans suffered severe psychological problems on his return to the US and for many years he battled with depression and alcoholism.

His journey back from these problems and his Vietnam experiences became the basis of his classic novel 'Shopping Cart Soldiers'. At the time of his death John's second novel, a follow up to Shopping Cart Soldiers, called MIAmerica, was nearing completion. He also leaves a collection of short stories.

While his book was well known and successful in the United States John Mulligan was less well known in his native Scotland.

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 4th Nov 2005, 02:45pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
My friends husband is a huge Military/wars reader Luceo. I'll look out for that classic you mentioned.

I'm quite impressed that after such a long time in the States that his death was given recognition at home. I've never heard of him.

My dad was drafted into the U.S. Army seven months after emigrating there in the late fifties. He passed all his Nursing exams with them and was forever grateful for the education he received.
He was also a brilliant Badminton player and won the 1957 25th Division Badminton Championship in the U.S. Army.
He wisnae what you'd call a fighting soldier type y'no! laugh.gif

Luckily for us he left after his draft time was up, for those that re signed not one in the Platoon came back from Vietnam that he knew of.

I'm glad John Mulligan battled his demons and knew success.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 27th Jan 2009, 11:11pm
Post #3

John was a truly special guy, and "Shopping Cart Soldiers" is nothing short of brilliant.

+Quote Post
*Mish*
post 24th Jan 2011, 07:04pm
Post #4

I knew John in the early 80s, had many long conversations with him in the park blocks.. he is missed.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.