Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Night Song Of The Last Tram, Harry Forshaw
lindamac
post 18th Nov 2006, 01:05pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
smile.gif Has anyone thought to purchase the book by Avril dalziel Saunders ? It is called what`s Fur ye/ Won`t go by ye.
I wait in sheer excitement to recieve it from Glesga pals. It`s about a Galasgow girl being brought up in 50s/60s starts off in possilpark I can`t hardly wait,I will get these other books too as I just adore any book re Glasgow from a Glaswegians viewpoint. Thanks for that painting photograph, my father was born & raised in Maryhill,Iam privalaged to realise this topic.happy reading bookworms eh! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 18th Nov 2006, 01:22pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
Lindamac,

You may be interested to learn that the author of "Whit's for You Won't Go By Ye", Avril Dalziell Saunders, is our board member who uses the name "Georgia" on the board.

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 20th Nov 2006, 03:13am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
smile.gif I knew of Georgias book as I had worked it out earlier in the piece, via posts under GGBBs various postings old & newer, Thanks for the intro anyways Luceo but I had it sussed mate.

I have found & realised I could get it at Glesgapals( purely by accident may I add) I was delighted as it is 8 bucks cheaper there. Have you read it Luceo? was it a good read? I cannot wait for it to get here. I think Georgia has a great outlook on Glasgow & she must have done a heap of research as she seems to know much & she is very descriptive .

Georgia sort of takes you there,you know, pulls you into her posts & you are there,Iam sure excited she comes from here too,1 of GGGems of GGBB Kind of makes one proud to say we know of her eh.

Cheers Luceo,it is always a privalage to learn of new Glasgow authors,I think we get hungry for stories of Glasgow when we leave it, I also want to get Billy connolys autobiography for xmas too,believe it was his wife who wrote it?(Pamela Stephenson) smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 30th Jan 2007, 05:40am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
biggrin.gif Och noo a shouldve goat oan back intae this wee subject oan books cos ave read that book tae the end & may I just say the name of it was one reason I purchased that book "Whats for ye won`t Go By Ye" Because my mammy says it even tae this day haha I hold this book especially dear tae me not because it is oor Georgia that wrote it mind ye,it helps but isnt why I like it. It is such a genuine read. I loved that it covered several eras,frae war tae 60s etc & well I just lived across the rd & yonder past the auld shunt yard & dummy railway frae Milton so I knew many of the places on a personal level as well as in Possil etc tae & I lived in springburn all my days also.

The author has captured a wee bitty of what seemed like my life through her wee character called Linda The daughter of Margie & Douglas Macgregor,here theres even a we love story oan how they met & a few other wee lovydovy stories etc so ladies we have a few nice we things in it for ourselves haha(my name is also Linda)& wee Linda reminded me of maself & her big brother was a brave young man to a huge extent. uncanny how much I had in common with that wee lass. This excellent wee Glasgow story features many places most of us recognise. I love that it covers around about 2 generations we hear a bit about 1930s/40s as it covers a wee bit of the wartimes & effects it had oan people in general as well as those fighting for our country. postwar situations & times of the 50s are worth reading about also,cos we Glaswegians & our struggles at them times are highlighted as well,the much required need for housing etc we hear of some of the catholic protestant /rangers/celtic sectarian clashes. This wee Glasgow Gem is a book that grips yer whole attention & ones heart gets caught up intae its times & places,so many things we , I feel sure have gone through at one time or another.

I feel this Author has captured awe the best times & bits of Glasgow & Glaswegian spirit & their huge hearts of generositys & much humour through the often hard times familys had between 30s to 60s.Even right down to the music of the fab 60s how fabulous we all remember them times to be,we are treated to an odd mention or few of the music/dancehalls of the times haha.Get yer hankerchiefs oot you men would enjoy it tae so make sure theires a sleeve furr ye tae wype yer tears from the sad& funtimes this author seems to naturaly tap intae via her story. I think she has excellent penmanship she has done her homework on this book cos her research appears so accurate tae me. This authors detailed accounts of the times was exciting funny sad emotional at times,I certainly have walked away from this book with a fairly good idea of what our parents/grandparents went through yet for some reason us kids never truly noticed what they were going through,no doubts about it we had a fair idea it was hard for them but this book actually brought a huge emphasis to me on why our parents acted as they once did especialy our dads.I love that there were successfull times & following the family through their good & bad times was bringing to mind my own familys comings & goings so anyone can relate to this wee Gem of a book,get it read it for yerselves cos it`s worth the read I have read it & enjoyed evry bit of it cover tae cover. Happy Reading GG Gems. :Dmy hope is that it will have a sequel cos iam wanting to know what else wet oan efterwards haha come oan roll oot the sequell woohoo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 1st Feb 2007, 03:28am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
wink.gif Sorry folks ave posted these comments of mines in the wrong place these here posts belong to the What`s For You Won`t Go By You Book column as said above sincere apologys to all & hopefully ave not tread on toes in here do check this book as it`s soooo good too,unfortunately I thought that thiis one topic covered all books oops laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
scossie
post 4th Feb 2007, 12:57pm
Post #21

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,223
QUOTE (lindamac @ 1st Feb 2007, 03:45 AM)
wink.gif Sorry folks ave posted these comments of mines in the wrong place these here posts belong to the What`s For You Won`t Go By You Book column as said above sincere apologys to all & hopefully ave not tread on toes in here do check this book as it`s soooo good too,unfortunately I thought that thiis one topic covered all books oops laugh.gif

Its ok pet......The punters eer are a great crowd by the sound oh them..He'He'..awlavwaaaaaaaaaaa..
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Jockstrap

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 10th Feb 2007, 05:48pm
Post #22

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
I just finished reading a book I bought at a second hand book store. The title is..."The Hills is Lonely" by Lillian Beckwith. It is about a lady from England who is ordered by her doctor to take a complete rest. Anyway, she ends up in the Hebridean Islands. This book illustrates vividly the culture, living, and speaking habits of the Hebridean folks..Funny and at times sad..I loved this book,and had a great time figuring out some of the dialect...And yes, the book title is as I have written above..If you can find this book,I know you will enjoy it...Rena wink.gif

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 12th Feb 2007, 11:55am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I just got my copy of "The night song of the last tram' my sister in law who came for the day to see me brought it, also the new book that is the second one in the series.
so I have a couple of new books tae get into wink.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 17th Feb 2007, 08:50pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
I have been reading the "night song of the last tram" aaand I findit very good I can see me and ma pals going to mulguy!! with oor bottles of watter and me seeing the Bennie rail car and saying "my brother John telt me thats Buck Rogers Space ship" and feeling dead knowledgable rolleyes.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
*dumenelion*
post 1st Apr 2007, 07:43am
Post #25

I've just finished Night Song of the Last Tram and intend to read the follow up next week. I really liked it and I burst out laughing when I read what they did to the tenement busker... also I can relate with what they felt when they entered the blubell woods, I feel the same way every year when the blubells come out in Chateleherault where I go walking and it's only a couple of weeks till that time comes round again. I was very much a street kid who was also a bookworm and I knew what he felt like when he entered the library... it was my Disneyland, lol,.... now I work in the library as an assistant librarian. His childhood memories hit the spot.

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 3rd Apr 2007, 11:41pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Iam sure you will like the follow up I found it a good read ,I hope you enjoy it as much as I did

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
angel
post 4th Apr 2007, 02:52am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
catarina, you can get more of Lillian Beckworth at your local library.
Angel

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
*dumenelion*
post 8th May 2007, 06:35am
Post #28

Just in case anyone is wondering why I've said I'll read it and not posted I've decided to take it on holiday with me in 4wks.

+Quote Post
*Guest Londongirl **
post 29th Jun 2007, 10:29am
Post #29

QUOTE (wee mags @ 3rd Apr 2007, 11:58 PM) *
Iam sure you will like the follow up I found it a good read ,I hope you enjoy it as much as I did

Whats the follow up called?
I really enjoyed the first book, I read it last year.

Thanks

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 10th Jul 2007, 12:43am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
the follow up is " Somewhere To Lay My Head " its just as good as the first book biggrin.gif

'

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.