Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Night Song Of The Last Tram, Harry Forshaw
andypisces1
post 6th Oct 2005, 02:00pm
Post #1

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,621
I have just read this book about life in maryhill during and after the war. It is excellent reading and i can recommend it. however there is one chapter on a teacher called Harry Forshaw. I know it was the authors opinion but i would like to give mine. Harry Forshaw was one of the fairest most memorable teachers at NKS. It was from him I learned my philosophy of trusting a person until they give me reason not to. I have very rarely been let down.

I wore glasses from a very early age. Every time i went to the eye infirmary to get tested they would put drops in my eyes.This caused everything to go blurry and i could not read. I would get these drops every night for a week. One time when i was about 12/13 i got drops that did not make my sight blurry. I thought this would be a good excuse to not do my homework or any work at school. It worked until i went to math class with Mr Harry Forshaw teaching, "Steele" he said to me "your pupils are not in the least dilated . However if you tell me you cannot see to read i will trust you as you have never given me reason not to. If i ever find you have broken that trust you will have to prove yourself before i will trust you again." The next day i could read

He was a terror but a good math teacher. He did give the belt hard but not with any pleasure. I got it several times from him. If you had anything to say he would listen.He WAS a good teacher. That is my opinion of HARRY FORSHAW......Andy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 3rd Jan 2006, 11:34pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Andy, that teacher helped shape your life. wub.gif Bunty

+Quote Post
Melody
post 7th Jan 2006, 02:39pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I thoughly enjoyed reading that book Andy. I would recommend it, a lovely although sometimes sad recollection of childhood.

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 7th Jan 2006, 03:18pm
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I read the book over Christmas and really enjoyed it although I was not from Maryhill as such.

gq

+Quote Post
wee mo
post 8th Jan 2006, 12:25am
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,515
Glad tae hear the books aw right... bought it for ma sister at Christmas... she said it was good... but ye can never trust a relative... wink.gif

+Quote Post
BallindallochNZ
post 13th Feb 2006, 10:02pm
Post #6

Special Visitor
Member No.: 465
Robert Douglas has produced a real gem here. I have read the book through tears and laughter and thoroughly enjoyed it. I grew up just around the corner from Robert in Hinshaw Street and several of my friends lived in Doncaster Street.

I had many happy memories of this part of Maryhill but Robert's memory was even better. As he went to the same schools as me (Springbank and North Kelvinside), teachers names were also recollected.

I've recommended this book to several friends and family, in Glasgow and other parts of Scotland, Spain and New Zealand and all have made similar comments.

Good on you, Robert. Here's hoping there will be more to come.

+Quote Post
Gallifreya
post 4th Mar 2006, 08:12am
Post #7

Settling In
From: Borehamwood Herts England (Researching my family history in Glasgow)
Member No.: 1,609
I too have just finished reading this wonderful book. At times side-splittingly funny but at times gut-wrenchingly sad, but always a riveting read. After finishing the book I was desperate to find out what happens to Robert next, so I did a net search and found out that he is bringing out a sequel on 31st July, to be called "Somewhere to Lay my Head". I have already pre-ordered my copy. smile.gif

Gallifreya

+Quote Post
derick2
post 17th Mar 2006, 04:29pm
Post #8

Special Visitor
Member No.: 2,161
Yes indeed a powerfull story of survival against the odds. Has anyone noticed the similarity with Billy Connelly's early life as told in his biography? I lost my father in my early teens so I related to Roberts deep feelings for his "Ma". What a strong woman she was. I look forward to the next chapter!

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 27th Mar 2006, 01:32pm
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
i thought this may interest ,this is a painting by the author of the book,nightsong of the last tram,it was sent to me from jim mcdonald who was mentioned in the book,the painting is doncaster st,maryhill

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 29th Mar 2006, 03:17pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Thanks for that Aaron , I just love paintings of my Dear Green Place , as I remember it . Somehow am not too sure if I want to see the " New Glasgow " will the magic have gone ?? .Guess we have to live with progress. wink.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
ally bally
post 13th Apr 2006, 09:28pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,196
yes i enjoyed the book too and look forward to his next one. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gallifreya
post 5th Sep 2006, 11:40am
Post #12

Settling In
From: Borehamwood Herts England (Researching my family history in Glasgow)
Member No.: 1,609
I have just finished reading Robert Douglas's "Somewhere to Lay My Head". Has anyone else read it? Once again his writing has left me 'hanging on a threddle' to see if he writes any more. This man is definitely a very talented Glaswegian indeed! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
BallindallochNZ
post 7th Sep 2006, 08:29pm
Post #13

Special Visitor
Member No.: 465
Kia Ora, Gallifreya

Now I am looking forward even more to reading Robert's second book. I would have ordered it from Amazon but my daughter in London wants to buy it for me for Christmas. If it is as good as his first, it will be terrific. I can hardly wait.

+Quote Post
Mary Doll
post 9th Oct 2006, 05:53pm
Post #14

Super Visitor
Member No.: 231
Hi All

I can thoroughly recommend George Friel to you all. Non fiction, but you won't be able to tell the difference, because anyone from the harder / non chocolate box side of Glasgow in the 50s / 60's will be there in the plots once you start reading. I was in every close, school, street, house.........everywhere looking on. Most of his books are out of print but the book I recommend is called " A Glasgow Trilogy" which I got from the library.
The first story is about a gang of kids, headed by a 15 year old, who discover stolen money. "The Boy Who Wanted Peace"
The second about an old lady living up a close who wants to "save" a child. " Grace and Miss Partridge"
The third about an alcoholic schoolteacher who takes a shine to a wee girl. "Mr Alfred M.A."
I can promise, you won't be disappointed.

MD

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 9th Oct 2006, 11:34pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
Thanks Mary-Doll,

I will keep them in mind, as I read a lot, more in the wintertime, to,
I have ordered Night Song of the Last tram,
just waiting on it coming biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.