Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mammograms Save Lives
Rating 5 V
Avril
post 2nd Jan 2013, 11:44pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
This is the full cover of my true story, 'Mammograms Save Lives', which was released February 2012.

The cover picture is me with my with my grandson, Miles, when he was just under 6 weeks old. He spent the first 5 weeks of his life in intensive care and had two lots of major surgery in that time. This photo was taken 5 days after he had his kidney removed and I had just finished my course of radiotherapy. As I held him in my arms, he looked up at me and smiled as if to say, 'Right Gran, onwards and upwards now!' My husband just happened to click the camera at that precise and precious moment

All profits from the above book are being donated to Breast Cancer Care and Macmillan Nurses

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Avril
post 11th Jan 2013, 11:59pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2011.

It was after a mammogram that I was called back to receive the devastating news that I had breast cancer. I felt well, had no symptoms, have never smoked, eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly so how could this be? There was no explanation, it can happen to anyone!.
Before I knew it, I had surgery to remove the lump followed by radiotherapy. Thanks to the advanced technology of a mammogrram, my tumour was caught in the very early stages. I count myself very lucky indeed.

I have written my story in order to raise awareness, and encourage every woman between the ages of 50 and 70 to go along for a mammogram. I am so appreciative to the NHS for providing this service.

In the UK, the NHS offers free mammograms to women every three years but sadly 25% do not attend.

I am shouting this out loud....Mammograms Save Lives!!!

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 12th Jan 2013, 05:30am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Just got the news last night that my sister in-law has breast cancer,apparently she has known for a while there was a problem but ignored it.
My wife is undestandably upset and more especially since my youngest daughter has a mole on her breast that has now changed colour but wont go to have it checked.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 12th Jan 2013, 07:07am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Hi Avril,

I was interested to see that the NHS provides free mammograms to women from age 50 to 70. Here in New Zealand it's much the same - up to the age of 69. When I asked at the hospital a couple of years ago if this was because there was less risk after 69, I was told NO, that is the age the Government provides the funding to.

As I will be 71 this year, I am thinking of paying for the service - around $120, I believe (around 60 pounds) but will have to see what the kitty is like in 3 months time!

Cheers

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
Avril
post 12th Jan 2013, 07:48am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Dave sorry to hear about your sister-in-law but take heart in that breast cancer is now one of the most curable of all cancers, that is providing it gets caught early enough.

I was very lucky in that my tumour was caught in a mammogram when it was just budding, the important thing is getting it before it goes into the lymph glands because from there it can travel round the body. My cancer was aggressive grade 3, but it hadn't reached the lymph glands and after my lumpectomy (during which I had a biopsy) I was given the good news that I wouldn't need chemotherapy, just 3 weeks of daily radiotherapy and that is painless, it only takes 5 minutes and is no different to having an X-Ray. I have been clear now for almost 2 years.

I urge your daughter to make an appointment with her doctor now, hopefully it's a harmless mole but if it isn't, these things don't go away on their own and the sooner they catch it the better!

Scots Kiwi Lass, We are very lucky in UK because, although we don't get called for a mammogram after we are 70, we can still request them every 3 years and they are free.

My 86 year old Aunt had a lump that she ignored, it was only after she asked me some questions that she mentioned it to her doctor. It was cancer, she was in hospital within a couple of weeks, had a lumpectomy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy, she completed her treatment a few months ago and I'm delighted to say that she is doing great.

I wrote my story to encourage women to have regular mammograms, they definitely save lives!

All profits from my book go to Breast Cancer Care and MacMillan Nurses

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 24th Feb 2013, 02:28pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
I would like to say a massive thank you to all my readers. My publisher has just informed me that Ebook sales of my first book 'What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye' have gone through the roof! I will be donating a good portion of my royalties to ...Breast Cancer Care and Macmillan Nurses so thank you one and all for assisting me in reaching this goal. Together we are helping these wonderful, worthwhile charities. Big grateful (((hugs))) to all of you, I really can't thank you enough XXXXXX

www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 8th Mar 2013, 03:06pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder

Thank you for buying my books, you have helped Breast Cancer Care & Macmillan Cancer Support

Much Love

XAvrilX

www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Image

Macmillan Cancer Support

www.macmillan.org.uk

I've just donated to Macmillan Cancer Support, do something amazing and donate now to change lives

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mrs Saunders

Thank you so much for your donation to Breast Cancer Care today.

Your donation will help us to make an immediate difference to people affected by breast cancer. We want to be here so no-one has to face breast cancer alone and your kind donation will help us do that.

Thanks to donations such ...as yours, we’ll be here every day of the year for people affected by primary and secondary breast cancer. Your very kind support means we can continue to be here providing expert information and skilled emotional support every step of the way, through diagnosis, treatment and beyond.

Your donation will help us be here for people as they face all the difficult emotions and questions that come with a diagnosis and then treatment. Your gift comes at a time when the need for our services has never been greater.

On behalf of everyone already benefiting from the services of Breast Cancer Care – and those who will seek our help in future – thank you so much for helping us continue to be here.

Many thanks again for your support.

Kind regards
Catherine McCrohan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 8th Apr 2013, 09:14am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Max Clifford promoting my book 'Mammograms Save Lives' at Macmillan Day.

www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 2nd May 2013, 08:59am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Preview my 3rd book 'Mammograms Save Lives'. This is my own true story. I wrote it to raise awareness and encourage all women over 50 to have regular mammograms. Profits from the sales of this book are donated to Breast Cancer Care & Macmillan Nurses

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=UcSFySS...d=0CGUQ6AEwCjgK

--------------------

+Quote Post
CAT
post 2nd May 2013, 10:21am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
Well done Avril. I haven't been on the site for a couple of years and didn't know of your illness. I hope you are well and wish you luck.
I had a quick look at your link and will most certainly read your book and your others. These sound like my kind of books.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 2nd May 2013, 11:19am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Cat, I am well now. I've just had my check up last Friday, all is well and my consultant doesn't want to see me for another 6 months thumbup.gif Hope you enjoy the books, thanks for your support XXX

--------------------

+Quote Post
CAT
post 2nd May 2013, 11:57am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
So glad to hear your well. I had cancer myself about 16 years ago all fine and dandy now but my sister in-law has been living in its shadow for the last 12 years.
I had a preview of your books and I do think I will like them. I need hard copy as I don't have an e-reader. (will get round to getting one sometime).
I'll let you know how I get on.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 2nd May 2013, 12:06pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Nice to see this thread once again. I have a mammogram every year. I have been in a cancer clinic for over twenty years. Not sure at what age they will cut me off. So glad you are doing well Avril. For anyone reading this Avril's books are really good, and well worth a read. Are you working on another Avril?

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Avril
post 2nd May 2013, 01:43pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
CAT, I am delighted to hear that you are doing so well, I feel for your sister-in-law, I hope she can find the strength conquer this and get her life back on track again.

Isobel, you are very lucky that they are still giving you annual mammograms after 20 years, we only get them annually for 5 years in UK after being diagnosed with BC, then it's back to 3 yearly. They stop sending for you at the age of 70 but you can still request to have them every 3 years.

Thank you for your kind words re. my books ladies, I have 4 out now, 3 fiction and one true life.

'What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye' then it's follow up 'Chasin' that Carrot'. 'Time Makes Changes' came out November 2012 and is the 3rd in the series about the fiction character Linda MacGregor.

As you know 'Mammograms Save Lives' is my true life experience.

I also made a short TV drama at Elstree Studios last year based on another one of my short stories.....there definitely is life after cancer!

Sales are proving that Kindle is be coming more popular, but you can still purchase hard copies of my books on Amazon, Waterstones, WHSmith, Barnes & Noble etc or I can send out signed copies to anyone who requests them :-)

Feel free to have a browse through my website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

Thanks again CAT & Isobel for your care & support XXXXXX

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 19th Nov 2013, 08:23am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Amazon special offer for limited period only.....
Paperback version of my true story 'Mammograms Save Lives' reduced from 5.99 to 2.68. Profits from sales go to Breast Cancer Care & MacMillan Nurses

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0...ziel%20saunders

Read more: http://glesgachinas.proboards.com/thread/6...9#ixzz2l4ud68fC

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.