Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oot The Windae, Glasgow Memories in Rhyme
Rating 3 V
Avril
post 22nd Jul 2009, 03:23pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
I felt extremely privileged recently when Glaswegian poet David Reilly contacted me. He asked if I would review his new book due out later this year and I was more than happy to oblige.

Those of you who know of David Reilly’s work will remember ‘Oot The Windae’, in which we travelled on his tramcar of rhyme through his recollections of being brought up in Glasgow in the 1950’s. He took us through his life, a life that lots of Glaswegians can relate to and he expertly relayed in verse stories about the ragman, the coalman, the steamie, the flitting, the polis, the middens and much more.

His new book is also titled ‘Oot the Windae’ but it’s a hard-back edition. You can read all his wonderful 1950’s poems as well as new ones about his memories of the 1960’s. He tells us the story of the ‘Upside Down Year’ and reminds us about the provy man’, swimming in the canal, gathering empty bottles for cash, New Year’s Eve and steak pie at midnight, The Barras, the second-hand bike, the bully etc. It is unbelievable how much he has managed to cram into this book about life in Glasgow in the 50’s and 60’s

I feel very honoured that David Reilly asked me to review his new release, which I can only describe as ‘sheer genius’. He has an extremely rare and wonderful talent in being able to get his message across in verse, reminding us of by-gone days mixed with happiness and sadness. I found his new book every bit as enjoyable as his last one, I was engrossed and just couldn’t put it down, his writing is so vivid and lifelike, it really was a journey back in time. You will laugh and cry as you reminisce your way through this excellent read of emotional turmoil and ecstatic joy. David has captured perfectly, his life and the lives of many Glaswegians during this era and what’s more, it’s all very skilfully written in rhyme.

You can see details on www.ootthewindae.net

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 23rd Jul 2009, 10:21am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
Congratulations Avril! To be chosen to review an author's work is indeed an honour, not to mention a meaningful pat on the back... you have very good reason to feel honoured.

+Quote Post
Marion Niven Dou...
post 23rd Jul 2009, 08:26pm
Post #3

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,715
An honor indeed Avril

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 24th Jul 2009, 01:20am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
Attached Image Look at you ..... playing in the big leagues!! Well done Avril, obviously ah don't know ye personally, but feel privileged tae huv shared mutual dialogue wi ye. Ah'm ferr chuffed fur ye hen. Keep up the good work. Attached Image

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 24th Jul 2009, 02:02am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Fabulous......Avril good for you, you go girl biggrin.gif

Davy's a great guy and full of the Glasgow wit and charm, he's priceless and a wonderful genuine down to earth human being, and as you say, he jist has that knack of bringing the vision of his work to the fore as you read it.
Im sure you reviewing will be a great help to him and encouraging.
It cannae be easy puttin yerself out there for the world to see sometimes.......yet when we met there's no pretense about him at all....ah thought that wis jist the best.

It;s been a long time since we've been in touch.....skedadlled fae the Board forra while so he has.......and this is so refreshing to hear that he's continuing with his talent.

Send him ma love wid ye pet.......an tell him we're comin home at Christmas hopefully.....so he should swing by in his Merc an draap aff a few orders for me biggrin.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Avril
post 24th Jul 2009, 07:32am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks everyone for your lovely comments, your support and encouragement mean a lot biggrin.gif

Catherine, I have forwarded on your reply post to David and asked him to look into GG. I bought David's first book in 2005 but I have never met him in person, he contacted me recently and we have only corresponded by email but he seems like a real decent 'down to earth' guy. I wish him well with his new version of 'Oot The Windae'...it's a cracker!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 28th Jul 2009, 11:32pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Here ah notice Glesga Pals have a place where ye order Davy's Book........Could we no have one too?

Martin get the finger oot tongue.gif

Ahd help ye set it up but ma nails urnae dry yit...oan ye go...an fill ma splash while yer oan yer feet therr wid ye pet , am ah bit low laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Avril
post 29th Jul 2009, 10:54am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Not a bad idea Catherine biggrin.gif The webmaister on Glesga Pals designs Web Sites and Web Pages for authors, musicians, artists etc. and anyone else that wants to advertise on his site. He designed Davy's shoogly tramcar of rhyme website. It's great promotion, it let's the world know about Glaswegian talent that would otherwise go unnoticed

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 13th Sep 2009, 09:53pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Rob Scott of 'The Sunday Post' gave David Reilly a nice mention today in his Top Ten column.

Well done David, you deserve the recognition biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lizziehen
post 13th Sep 2009, 10:43pm
Post #10

Super Resident
Member No.: 7,318
Avril, I enjoyed your description of David Reilly's book 'Ooot The Windae', and had read the mention of him in today's Sunday Post but I don't know him. I'm also a newbie to GG so never "met" him here either. He is writing about a time after I left Glasgow in 1946 but I'd still love to read his book, and I will.

I add my congratulations to you along with others!

+Quote Post
davy
post 14th Dec 2009, 05:58pm
Post #11

Visitor
Member No.: 47
I thought I would let my Canadian friends know that some of my work is being featured in Denis Snowdon's show next Sunday afternoon on Zoomer Radio?? www.am740.ca

a merry xmas to you all

Cheers

David

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.