Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Closed TopicStart new topic
> The Glesga Militia, history
big tommy
post 3rd Nov 2005, 08:31pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
cool.gif The Glesca Militia was a noble Force , recruited from the Weary-Willies and the Never Worked of the famous City of Glasgow .

It was also a regiment of tradition , for in the dim and distant past it had been founded by 1000 heroic scally-wags from out of the City Jails .

Once out ,they were dressed in tartan breeks and red coats , given a gun and some kit and shipped out to the Crimea and on landing there were told to 'fight or starve ' 'We'll Fecht' was the unanimous reply, and fight they did .

Already used to hardships ,they quickly adapted themselves to the tented field and even quicker a thirst for the blood and money of Napoleom's Guards .

This then was the beginnings of the Fame for the Glesca Militia and ever since they have been the hardest fighters and the cheeriest gang of cut-throats that ever marched through the streets of Glasgow .

I wont tell you the name of this particular Regiment ,but I am sure most of you will have already worked out who they are .

Tommy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by big tommy: 4th Nov 2005, 02:16pm

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 4th Nov 2005, 01:11am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
Aw, Tommy, pal, gawnae dae us a favour wull ye? Gawnae dae a wee bit a reading afore ye start postin'?

Ah kin jist aboot staun a loat ye write 'cos ye write awright an' it's no' too sair tae read bit ye've goat tae gi'es a brekk wi' the history, man. Ah mean hiv ye no goat a scooby whit took place an' when? It widnae maitter too much if ye were writin' aboot the English an' the Charge a the Light Brigade an' that but ye've took it oan yersel' tae write aboot the Hi'lan' Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment, by the way).

D'ye no' ken that the fightin' atween Britain an' Napoleon took place atween 1803 and 1815? The Crimean War wiz a wee misunderstandin' among the Ottomans, the Froggies, the Brits an' the Russians that lastit fur a coupla years atween 1854 and 1856; ye no' mind a that fae school? Oh an' by the way, the Froggies the Brits an' the Turks wur aw oan the same side so therr wuz nae wey the HLI wiz fightin' Napoleon's Guards in the Crimea.

Heroic scallywags fae city jails? Well pardon me! The regiment was formed in 1777 under its first Colonel Mackenzie. The regiment was given a standard government tartan to which was added red and white stripes, later adopted as the Mackenzie tartan - LUCEO NON URO!

In 1809 George III granted the privilege o' addin' "Glasgow" to the regiment's name an' it became the 71st (Glasgow Highland Light Infantry) Regiment of Foot.

Weary Wullies? Never worked? Scallywags fae city jails? The regiment hiz 53 battle honours an' you cannae tak' the trouble tae get its history right?

Tommy, GAWNAE NO' DAE THAT?

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 4th Nov 2005, 02:16pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
ok Luceo
i will edit it out

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 4th Nov 2005, 02:19pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Sorry Luceo
Ah kind of took it for granted that the HLI evolved from this Glesga MIlitia .No offfence intended.
Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 4th Nov 2005, 02:23pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
God , but this place is full of critics

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 4th Nov 2005, 03:19pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
God , but this place is full of critics

Aye, bit ye luv it, shair ye dae!

Luceo

--------------------

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 4th Nov 2005, 03:52pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
At least I know they are being read

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 21st Nov 2005, 05:14pm
Post #8

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi tommy,

I take insult at your derogatory remarks of the HLI as my Grand Father was a Colour Sergeant with them and never saw the inside of a jail. As Luceo has pointed out that your are wrong in a number of the items you mention I suggest you stop writing imaginery tales about things that you think you know about or research before you put your foot in it again.

Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 22nd Nov 2005, 03:53pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Come on Hudgy

Geez a break !! I write stories as they are told to me .Dont blame me all the time /I normally take people at face value .
By the way , i only have one foot to put in anything, due to the posting of H M Forces .

My father served in the 5th batallion HLI .so why would i say anything derogotary about them .
OK it might have been the drink talking ,but i told it as it was told to me. I wanted to go into the H L I at the time of my National Service,but they sent me to train with The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders to Fort George.

When my training was over I was sent to the Royal Scots in Trieste in Italy .still against my wishes .
Please dont take any offence .I have nothing but respect for the H L I .

Anyway ,I thought i had edited that last part out.if not , I will do it now.
I knew it !! It HAS been edited out .
Tommy

This post has been edited by big tommy: 22nd Nov 2005, 04:09pm

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 22nd Nov 2005, 05:06pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Hudgy

Dont you realise that the HLI is never mentioned in this post ? You must have assumed this yourself ..
If so .Why blame me ?
tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 22nd Nov 2005, 05:33pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Tommy,

In my reply to your post I mention the HLI by name a couple of times. You edited out the the reference in your original post in response to my remarks.

Luceo

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.