Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shettleston
Rating 5 V
farrochie
post 9th Apr 2014, 07:50am
Post #121

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
QUOTE (beth @ 23rd Oct 2012, 04:23pm) *
Balintore, I lived in the Grange Foundry at the back of Annick street. My grandfather was Jimmy Loftus

We had a barman in The Drum, Patrick (Packy) Loftus around 1972.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Mary Campbell*
post 11th Aug 2014, 07:36pm
Post #122

QUOTE (Scots Evelyn @ 5th Aug 2007, 09:47pm) *
I've recently been doing my family history and a lot of my dad's family were born 'n' bred in Shettleston. I, myself, was brought up in Glenalmond Street, which, I was told then, was not Shettleston, but Sandyhills! (snobbery thing I think!!) My dad's family were the Begbies and they were scattered throughout Shettleston. I still have a newspaper cliping from 1940 when my dad's grandmother, Granny Begbie died. She was apparently a very well known and popular lady, and when she died, there was a piece written about her in the local paper. If anyone out there knows any Begbies from the Shettleston, please post here.

Thanks

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 7th Jul 2015, 09:11pm
Post #123

QUOTE (Rockajock @ 24th Apr 2007, 06:27am) *
I was born at 1090 Shettleston Road, opposite to where the Police Station is today. I lived there till I was a Teenager when we moved to Greenfield. Since then my life has revolved around the Town. Went to Eastbank, worked as a driver with Shettleton Co-op in Amulree Street and worked for a while in the Bottle Work in Old Shettleston Road.

Presently I am a member of a local History group, The Shettleston History Project and we operate out of Shettleston Library in Wellshot Road. (Wednesday mornings between 10am and Noon). We have two Websites that are full of Memories and Stories of Shettleston. www.shettlestonproject.batcave.net and www.shettlestonhistory.bravehost.com.

Tony Jaconelli

+Quote Post
*John Cruickshank*
post 27th Jan 2016, 12:46am
Post #124

I lived at 23 Sheddens Place. I found this site as I was looking for information for my grandkids on being chased by a train in the back garden. This site has brought back some fond memories of Shettleston. I can remember Mrs Watson from school. I can remember most of the people mentioned in previous posts. The Mcleans are my cousins. The Murphy`s used to live on the corner and where often flooded when the burn overflowed. Tollcross park was always a great adventure and mysterious place as was the sand pits between London Road and Tollcross Road, where the B&Q was. Wonder what the home owners would think id they new their houses where built on land fill. The amount of tadpoles, frogs, toads and newts you could catch in the pits was amazing. I remember the State and Odeon picture houses and the 2 at Alexander Park one was the Vouge if I remember correctly.

We moved from Shettelston to Wellhouse. I later joind the Raf and served for 15 years. I now live alone as my wife passed away. I have 4 children and 7 grandkids. I live in Cumbernauld. It is amazing what you can remember when promted. Pleas excuse spelling and punctuation mistakes. My email is jc363@blueyonder.co.uk

+Quote Post
The Music Man
post 27th Jan 2016, 05:11pm
Post #125

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,659
Hi Everyone,

My name is Alex and I have been trying to find a photo of The State Cafe.

Please can anyone help?

Alex

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 27th Jan 2016, 05:31pm
Post #126

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (The Music Man @ 27th Jan 2016, 06:19pm) *
Hi Everyone,

My name is Alex and I have been trying to find a photo of The State Cafe.

Please can anyone help?

Alex

Hi Alex. Wish I could help, as I was a regular at the State Café from 1959 - 63. Unfortunately I had no camera at the time. May I ask what your connection is? When I say "a regular", I almost lived there!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
**karen**
post 27th Apr 2016, 01:44pm
Post #127

QUOTE (andyc7 @ 22nd Sep 2009, 09:49am) *
I was born in Old Shettleston rd(88) in 1937,went to shettleston ,miss smith was my teacher then Eastbank.I remember the Kenmore gang(sannie halliday was the leader then) he was same year as me,different class.I had more trouble with the Tiger gang mainly from Ram st
andy

+Quote Post
christine 1955
post 18th Nov 2016, 09:37pm
Post #128

Visitor
Member No.: 6,662
Hello, my name is Christine (GRAHAM),
I lived in 31 Annick Street, would be about 1968/69. I enjoyed living in shettleston, I went to Wellshot Road school. I worked in the King-Co supermarket on shettleston road. It was a good place to work, we got paid on a Tuesday. I worked on the fruit counter with a lady called Ella, she came from up north. I remember the bread strike in 1970 the girl on the bread counter had just take. delivery of a board of bread, one of the customers shouted "she has got bread" and all the customers ran towards her and she dropped the board of bread and ran through to the back shop.
I remember the wee shop that was in the third dose on Annick Street, I can't remember the lady's name who had the shop, but it sold the best rolls I have ever tasted. There were three sisters stayed in the street they were friends of my mother, one was called Gardener another was called Sadie , I can't remember the other one. A girl called Rubina Riddle lived in the last close , her older sister was called Andrea. I went to school with a girl called Elizabeth Mitch, who lived in Chester Street.
There was a lady who lived up our close who emigrated to Australia she had two boys one called Paul.

+Quote Post
christine 1955
post 18th Nov 2016, 10:03pm
Post #129

Visitor
Member No.: 6,662
The lady Sadie's last name was Bryce. Her wee niece had crohns disease, she was small for her age. The Gardener family moved to Priesthill Road the same time we did in early 1972. They moved to glenrothes after about a year or so.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.