Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Townhead 1930s
Rabbie
post 22nd Aug 2006, 11:55am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Ahh, many thanks fur that Wullie, ah remember the roller door thing now. Used tae kick it and run away, never goat chased by anyone, wus prolly empty by then *lol*

Bits of the auld Blackies and Collins Factory on Taylor St survived until Summer 76. Jings! thats thurty years under the bridge, scary how fast time move.

The auld factory I was a great place to explore at night, creepy as hell and was loads of books left aroon.

Ahm nea to sure when the old bit on the sooth side of St James Rd came doon, the bit ye could wall thro to get to Cathedral St, the building with the big chimney. At a quess maybe late 70's or early 80's.

Last time I was up there in 2002, the other bits look pretty much the same. I seem to remember the new Collins building being put up, wus is aroond 62/63?

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 23rd Aug 2006, 04:58am
Post #17

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
Rabbie,

I haven't been in Townhead for more than 30 years so I'm not sure what you mean by the "new" Collins' building. I do seem to remember that the factory that existed in the 50's was extended not long before I left, in 63.

My mother worked in this factory.

+Quote Post
jane b
post 24th Aug 2006, 02:18am
Post #18

Settling In
Member No.: 3,570
Hello all,

I've enjoyed your entries and photos. Can anyone tell me more about the co-op on Parliamentary Road and the shops that were there? Thank you!

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 24th Aug 2006, 03:56am
Post #19

City Key Holder
Hi jane b

Here's a picture of the co-op in 1963. I believe it's in the same location as it was in the 30's [ 194 -210 Parliamentary Road].

I was a couple of decades after the the 30's but there were dozens of shops in Parly Road in my day, including Lindsay's and Curley's. This particular co-op was huge and occupied a number of floors as I recall. It seemed to me to sell everything.

At Virtual Mitchell you'll find several pictures of shops in Parliamentary Road in the 30's , which I believe is the era you are most interested in.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 24th Aug 2006, 11:09am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Here is a aerial photie of part of Toonheid around 1972.

Wullie, I have marked the wut ah called the *New Collins Factory* Its no really that new, ah think it went up in aroond the early 60's, but is new relative to the rest of the complex. I believe the building is currently in use as some sort of Museum for Strathclyde Uni.

In this image, can still make out the line of Parly Rd, the wee tollbooth at the corner of St James Rd is still in evidence, just opposite Dobbies Loan flats.

Ronald and McAuslin St, look like car parks sad.gif

Can make oot the Steamie / Baths in Collins St and Mossmans in Cathedral St.

Wit a shame, as maist o the place just resembles bomb site.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
jane b
post 24th Aug 2006, 03:26pm
Post #21

Settling In
Thanks very much Oor Wullie and Rabbie - those photos are great! I will check out more on Virtual Mitchell (I found the only photo I've ever seen of Canning Place there).

The aerial photo is very interesting - and sad! I'm trying to figure it out, using an old map of Glasgow from the 70s. If possible, can you please point out the locations of the Steamie, St. David's school and City Public - formerly Provanside school. (Which, happily, is still there -- at least it was there two weeks ago when I was in Glasgow!)

Thank you!

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 24th Aug 2006, 11:20pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Aye Jane,

It is a sweet / sour image, especially when we can remember how Toonhied looked and was before it was redeveloped.

So many of us will remember a buzzing, vibrant place full of so many characters. A place where folks respected and looked out fur each other. There wusnea oany need to loack yer door or padlock yer coal bunkers either.

Wus just a big extended family who took turns of sweeping the stairs, cleaning the cluddgie and looking after each other weans. Noo whurr dae ye see that these days?!
An if you stepped outta line, the wifie across the landing wid gie ye such a skelping, and say "Noo go tell yer Maw I gied you that rid erse" Aye, like hell ah wid, I wussnaw a glutton for double helpins, well free school dinners pit me aff double helpings fur a start.

Faye, as my Grannie Tierney was known to her friends, passed to heaven after a long battle with the big C, in 1975, when she was only 66. She was a devout RC and hardly missed a mass in St Mungos in Parson St, but she did like a wee drammie with the preists. "helped the preist to confess to her", she said.

I remember some of her tales of when she was younger. How she lived up in 5 Abington St, with her Maw and Da, MaMaw and MaDaz as I called them, they both lived well into the 80's Then she stayed in Earlston Ave during 30/40's where gave raised her 6 children until she moved to Ally Parade in 50's with a new hubbie.

She was a wonderful person, typical of so many of her generation and dispute her illness, she had an indomitable spirit and never complained aboot oanything.

To me, she was yer typical stout, wee cheery Gleasga Granny, the kind we know and treasures.

~~

Have a wee doddle at the photies linked here.

The images are cleaner here and I have marked the areas of interest you mention. Well, as close as my dodgy specs let me *haha* Bring back corporation portholes, all is forgiven.

Enjoy!

Toonheid, Glasgow c1972

Toonheid

--------------------

+Quote Post
jane b
post 26th Aug 2006, 01:57pm
Post #23

Settling In
Thanks so much, Rabbie - those photos are great! Is that St. David's School near Provanside? I'm not really sure.
Thank you!!!

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 26th Aug 2006, 04:37pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (jane b @ 26th Aug 2006, 03:14 PM)
Is that St. David's School near Provanside? I'm not really sure.
Thank you!!!

My pleasure Jane,

The building at 10 o'clock from Provanside School is St David's Primary.

The building at 8/9 o'clock < is / was > Allan Glens School, built in early 60's.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kate
post 26th Aug 2006, 05:39pm
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,780
Thank you Rabbie for all the information on Townhead. My family were all from Earlston Avenue and we went to St. Mungo's school and church. My mother's parents Reilly lived at 84 from 1914 until their deaths in the in 1973. My mother Nancy and her sister Kathleen were born at 84, and myself and my two brothers and one sister were all born there too. We moved to Greenfield in 1956 but still attended St.Mungo's. I would love to hear more of your stories and who you knew, thanks again. Kate

+Quote Post
jane b
post 27th Aug 2006, 04:35pm
Post #26

Settling In
Thanks again, Rabbie, I really appreciate it!

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 27th Aug 2006, 11:50pm
Post #27

City Key Holder
kate:-

I was interested to hear you left Townhead and moved to Greenfield. So did I . We moved to Cockenzie Street in '63.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 28th Aug 2006, 05:56am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
Many of the houses in built in Greenfield in the Forties and Fifties were semi-detached four apartments dwellings. Known locally as "steel houses", they were of unconventional design and construction which proved to be a fire hazard and I believe that due to this they were demolished about twenty-five years after their original construction. I recall that many of the houses in Cockenzie Street were of this type.

There is more information on this type of construction and a picture on this link:

Greenfield Houses

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 28th Aug 2006, 07:32am
Post #29

City Key Holder
Thanks to Luceo for the Greenfield link.

The houses in the Cockenzie Street that I moved to in the 60’s were different in a number of respects from the ones described in the link, but were still “steel houses”.

Like an oven in the summer and a fridge in the winter.

They did, however, have substantial front and rear gardens and a bathroom [with a bath, no less]. A great improvement on the living conditions provided by a lot of the tenements which still stood in Townhead [and elsewhere] at that time.

I had never thought of them as being a particular fire hazard and I can't say if this was the reason for their demolition. I do recall that the planners had got something wrong because Cockenzie Street was susceptible to flooding on those extremely rare occasions when it rained in Shettleston. rolleyes.gif

It seems that this was still the case into the new millenium

"The flooding in the Cockenzie Street area is due to the impact of surface water run-off rather than a lack of capacity in the sewer network "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/2166701.stm

+Quote Post
AndyR1
post 16th Sep 2006, 06:50pm
Post #30

Visitor
Member No.: 3,402
my grandparents lived in the townhead area {Earlston ave and stirling rd from the 20 right up until the late 1950. I didnt live in the area { too young lol } but Im trying to find out anything about Earlston ave, Im also trying to trace an uncle bord in 1933 in 13 Earlston ave {william Reidford} so any help please smile.gif

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd Jun 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.