Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Bluebird Cafe & Orlando Cafe, Two cafes I remember
ilookedup
post 3rd Aug 2009, 07:36pm
Post #1

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,232
Two cafes I remember, The first was the Bluebird on Pollokshaws Road near Queens Park. They did the most amazing lime ice drinks. The ice cream was blended in not just dropped in in a blob. Almost an early version of a frappuccino. (Try ice cream in Guinness it works).

I can't remember the name of the second it was at the junction of Argyle & Sauchiehall streets at Kelvingrove. We used to descend there en masse on a sunday after playing football in the park.

Best things I remember about the cafes are; drinking coffee from a pyrex cup is as cool as it gets, and the ice cream. Ice cream has to be the best dessert ever.

--------------------
Breathe in for passion, breathe out for joy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 5th Aug 2009, 03:37am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
I mind the Bluebird well.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 5th Aug 2009, 06:48am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
I worked at the BlueBird on Pollokshaws Rd. when I was a young teenager.5/-shillings a shift. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
ilookedup
post 5th Aug 2009, 08:56pm
Post #4

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,232
I might be getting on a bit Stratson, but 5 bob a shift probably predates me.

--------------------
Breathe in for passion, breathe out for joy.

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 12th Feb 2010, 12:19am
Post #5

Super Visitor
Member No.: 8,120
I remember both cafes. Queen's Park one was my favourite. On very, very special occasions I was allowed to have a Knickerbocker Glory. Kelvingrove one was when my Dad used to take me to the Art Galleries on a Sunday and we would walk from Paisley Road Toll going through the tunnel under the Clyde!!! Anybody remember that?

+Quote Post
stratson
post 13th Feb 2010, 09:31pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (ilookedup @ 5th Aug 2009, 08:54pm) *
I might be getting on a bit Stratson, but 5 bob a shift probably predates me.

This was circa 1947-49. The shift was evenings 6-11p.m.(also had day job.) smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Stillroom
post 27th Feb 2010, 09:37pm
Post #7

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,022
QUOTE (ilookedup @ 3rd Aug 2009, 07:34pm) *
Two cafes I remember, The first was the Bluebird on Pollokshaws Road near Queens Park. They did the most amazing lime ice drinks. The ice cream was blended in not just dropped in in a blob. Almost an early version of a frappuccino. (Try ice cream in Guinness it works).

I can't remember the name of the second it was at the junction of Argyle & Sauchiehall streets at Kelvingrove. We used to descend there en masse on a sunday after playing football in the park.

Best things I remember about the cafes are; drinking coffee from a pyrex cup is as cool as it gets, and the ice cream. Ice cream has to be the best dessert ever.

the cafe at he junction was the Orlando cafe, my pal and I used to go there all the way from the east end, train to charing cross and then the bus/or walk that would be about 1962, and then if there was a dance at the TA hall near yorkhill

--------------------
Katie Bairdie

+Quote Post
serabash
post 4th Mar 2011, 04:08pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
The Bluebird cafe a went tae wis oan Tollcross Road an a remember when a wis aboot 8 or 9 goan in there on ma ain and getting a wee bottle of Barr's american cream soda wae a straw and a wid put hard day's night by the beatles oan the duke box. sad or whit laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 4th Mar 2011, 05:08pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
QUOTE (Stillroom @ 27th Feb 2010, 10:00pm) *
the cafe at he junction was the Orlando cafe, my pal and I used to go there all the way from the east end, train to charing cross and then the bus/or walk that would be about 1962, and then if there was a dance at the TA hall near yorkhill

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
AScotInArgentina
post 21st Mar 2011, 02:54am
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,671
I'm another one who remembers the Bluebird cafe...happy days.

I also remember going to a cafe in Pollokshaws when I was very young in the early sixties.We used to get a plate of hot peas and vinegar. They also sold large round treacle toffees which were great.

+Quote Post
*Guest elaine*
post 15th Sep 2015, 10:20pm
Post #11

QUOTE (AScotInArgentina @ 21st Mar 2011, 03:02am) *
I'm another one who remembers the Bluebird cafe...happy days.

I also remember going to a cafe in Pollokshaws when I was very young in the early sixties.We used to get a plate of hot peas and vinegar. They also sold large round treacle toffees which were great.

The Bluebird cafe was is on Cathcart Rd, Govanhilland the other is up Cathcart both run by same family and its been there many years with amazon food and ice cream also the shop is great with the big jars of sweets lol.

+Quote Post
**Stillroom**
post 18th Oct 2015, 03:51pm
Post #12

Thank you for showing the pic of the Orlando Cafe, this on the day after my wee pal died ! After 55 years friendship to see this pic made me smile !!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.