Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Milton
flam
post 28th Jun 2014, 04:47pm
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Vallay vic I spoke to a gentleman who was nick named Scotty a few years ago and I asked his permission to put his photo on this site, but I am not too sure if this is the guy you are talking about, the last time I saw him was about 2 years ago and he regurlarly walks along the canal towpath, I wonder if he still does
Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JimC
post 27th Jul 2014, 02:20pm
Post #62

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
I lived in Cadder but remember Milton well. From 1961 to 63 I used to work for Brodie`s Dairy on Kilfinan St and delivered milk and rolls every morning around Castlebay St, Torogay St, Egilsay St, Cres, & Place, Longay St, & Place, Raasay St. Stornoway St and Shapinsay St. Then washed up a wee bit before going to School ( St. Augustines ) So if you ever remember being a pint of milk short or missing a roll any morning during that time, I was the culprit yes.gif It was hard work but the pay was pretty decent.

All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 27th Jul 2014, 03:29pm
Post #63

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I lived in one of those streets in Milton that you mentioned. I was born there and stayed till 1971 when I went to London. The dairy you mentioned was where I would go and get food on tick for my sister when I visited her. She lived in the flats by Loudens. Loudens van used to come round our street on a Friday night and, if we were flush, we would buy 6d worth of grapes or an apple, or an orange. Sometimes plums. I can still smell the inside of that van.

Also, I went to the same school as you. I left in '68.

+Quote Post
JimC
post 28th Jul 2014, 03:23pm
Post #64

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
They were decent people in the dairy and I guess buying on tick was the norm. Most housholds got paid on Fridays and by the time Wednesday or Thursday rolled around things were a wee bit tight for everybody, as long as you paid last weeks tick you were OK for the week to come.
I left St Augustines in 1963 a wee bit earlier.

All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said

+Quote Post
rainbowchaser
post 16th Sep 2014, 01:36pm
Post #65

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,504
I only just stumbled on to this thread and a couple of names on it were familiar and reminded me of the ten year old me who started a paper round in Milton in 1961 - totally illegal - staying with it until 1966 when I was 15. Many paper boys came and went in that time and some of the names I remember are Denny Gray from 18 Castlebay Street where we used to gather waiting for the delivery van full of Evening Times's and Citizens. (We kept getting moved down Castlebay Street until we were opposite Egilsay Crescent.) Denny's brother Michael later took over the round, by which time the Grays (with younger sister Susan) moved along to Liddesdale Road near Ensay Street. Also delivering were Davy Ayton, Mick Kay (from Castlebay Street) whose round was later taken over by younger brother Chris, George Marsland (I think from Scaraway Street), Bernie Boyle (from Torogay Street), Robert Geddes (not sure if that was his first name as he was only ever called by his second) from Mingulay Street and he sold his round to someone called Christian, I think also from Mingulay Street, whose younger brother Norman inherited the round. (I remember people kept singing that awful song that was in the charts by Carol Deene 'Norman - oo oo oo oo oo oo' to annoy him.) His friend Alistair McLean also came along and got his own round. Some of the nicer people were Charlie Callaghan (from Mingulay Crescent), Bauldy - name was Bauld, first name unknown - he moved to Colston and had a sister named Rubina, then there was Beany Triano - great name! - from Scaraway Street way who used to put his haversack over his head in the rain and say 'take me to your leader'. There was someone from Mingulay Street called Bruce - may have been his second name and his round was taken over by Billy Ralston (Mingulay Street again I think). Little Tam Ferguson (I think from Liddesdale Pass), someone called Stewart (surname) from the bottom of Castlebay Street. Sadly there were idiots including some moron called Martin who went on to work in Galbraiths and to this day I think he was the stupidest person I ever met, so he probably works on a Virgin Media helpdesk - Crumlin I think from Mingulay Street, and there was an unpleasant little git from 8 Cathay Street who I only ever knew by the name of 'Minty'.
Most people were aged 14 to 17, dressed in jeans (long before it was fashionable to) and anoraks and carried haversacks. The posh ones like Ralston rode bikes. The van with the papers turned up usually around 4.50 (6.50 on a Saturday)
I delivered between 38 and 58 papers per evening six nights a week. My round started in Egilsay Crescent and I delivered to 41 - Gemmell, 38 - Soutar then round to Scaraway Street delivering to number 7 whose name I don't recall, then number 8 - Snowdon (who had previously lived at 108). Down towards the bus terminus at Skerray Street, delivered to Howell at 51, then back to Scaraway Street 55 - three up the close, Rough and Young in the top flats and Schofield in the 2 up. Also delivered a Times to 57, then across the road to 56 Munro. Along to 66 - Roper, crossing back over to 73 - Pollok (who always pretended to be out when it came time to collect money on Friday.) Up to 79 - McClarty, then across to 96 - Forbes. Just across from Shapinsay Street was the close with 106 - McKendrick and possibly one more, and across again to 101 - McDowell in the bottom flat. Then it was round to Cathay Street starting at 65 - Brand, 57 - name forgotten but they had dog which used to always try to bite and ripped the paper to pieces. 47 - Pittaway, always the best tipper and a class act, then across to 50 - Clark and then on to the bit I often dreaded as quite often Some girls from St Ambrose would try and leap on me and kiss me. I kept on going to 46. There were three deliveries up that close, one was Haldane who did a flit owing money but the only one I remember was McAteer, one up to the left, because I quite liked the daughter, Maggie. at 44 below the McAteers was Gunning. 38 - Cross. Crossed over to numbers 35 and 39 (I think the name was Etherson who had something to do with coal) - across Raasay Street to 34 Cathay Street and McLean, 32 - McDade, 18 Maguire and someone else up that close. Finished up in Castlebay Street at 166 (Clark I think) and 172 - Rutherford. then I made my way back up through Raasay Street, Stornaway Street across the waste ground to the foot of Ronay Street, Torogay Street and Ensay Street back to home sweet home in Liddesdale Road. I have forgotten some names but given it all stopped nearly fifty years ago that's not too bad.
In five years I only had two one week holidays where people stood in for me (and made a mess of it). I was able to miss out on homework classes, but I missed all the kids TV programmes, getting my kicks from Bll Tennant doing 'Here And Now'. I made around 1 a week, I caught colds, got soaked, got snowed on and once in a thick fog, almost got lost. I'd love to say it was fun but it wasn't. Met lots of nice people because despite its reputation for gangs and trouble, Milton was full of nice people who just wanted to get on with their lives. I sold my round for 25/- to schoolfriend Jonah McFaul from Shapinsay Street who followed in my footsteps for a couple of years.

You would think that five years of running around Milton streets would have brought some pain, but the only time I ever had any trouble was from some divot called Hammill who lived in Scaraway Street. He attacked me and demanded money insisting I had overcharged him. (In fact he had inadvertently given their paper boy (Alistair McLean) a 6d tip - a first as they were allegedly notoriously mean.) I tried pointing out that I did not in fact deliver papers to his house, but he kept shoving and demanding money. I did not feel threatened as he talked like a big Jessie and I told him to go away with words that involved sex and travel. He wandered off looking for other paper boys to threaten and even now probably still thinks about and cries over that lost 6d. We were also constantly being asked to move by the police despite the fact we were doing nothing wrong. One night they arrested someone for climbing a tree, saying he was causing a breach of the peace.
Around ten years ago when I had some free time up in Glasgow, I retraced the route of my delivery and strange to say - some people still seemed to be living in those same houses, but last time I checked out Milton, the flats at Scaraway Street and Cathay Street had all been knocked down - and not an Evening Times in sight.

Hope this jogs some memories.

Read ‘Spies At The ABC – Vampires At The Odeon – Culture At The Cosmo’ which is all about Glasgow cinemas and films of the 1960s and
and ‘Sex At The ABC – Kung Fu At The Odeon – Uncensored At The Tatler’, which is all about Glasgow films and cinemas of the 1970s.

+Quote Post
bds1958
post 16th Sep 2014, 01:47pm
Post #66

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,862
QUOTE (flam @ 28th Jun 2014, 05:04pm) *
Hi Vallay vic I spoke to a gentleman who was nick named Scotty a few years ago and I asked his permission to put his photo on this site, but I am not too sure if this is the guy you are talking about, the last time I saw him was about 2 years ago and he regurlarly walks along the canal towpath, I wonder if he still does
Cheers Flim

Looks like "Big Scotty" to me..................... thumbup.gif

--------------------
" a nation of sheep results in a government of wolves"

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."

“The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists.”

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 16th Sep 2014, 09:52pm
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Rainbowchaser I lived directly across the street from Susan Grey. Was the dog at 57 Cathay St an Alsatian called Rex and did it belong to a family by the name of McCray on the top flat? Mary smile.gif

+Quote Post
rainbowchaser
post 16th Sep 2014, 10:03pm
Post #68

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,504
Thanks for the update Mary.

57 Cathay Street was one of those grey houses with a back and front door and a garden. To be honest, I never hung around to see what the dog looked like as most paperboys would tell you - teeth are teeth. The even numbers were across the road - mostly flats and the name McCray doesn't ring a bell with me. Sorry!

When you say you lived opposite Susan G, it must have been in Liddesdale Road as at that time, there were no odd numbered houses in Castlebay Street - it was just a few trees and green space. If you lived opposite her, I am guessing you must have lived round about 354 or 350 in Liddesdale Road, just before you got to Scalpay Place.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 17th Sep 2014, 11:24am
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Good memory rainbowchaser, 350 it was. Sadly long gone now but it was a great place to grow up before the advent of drugs and car thieves. Mary

+Quote Post
Avril
post 18th Apr 2016, 11:29pm
Post #70

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
QUOTE (rainbowchaser @ 16th Sep 2014, 02:36pm) *
I only just stumbled on to this thread and a couple of names on it were familiar and reminded me of the ten year old me who started a paper round in Milton in 1961 - totally illegal - staying with it until 1966 when I was 15. Many paper boys came and went in that time and some of the names I remember are Denny Gray from 18 Castlebay Street where we used to gather waiting for the delivery van full of Evening Times's and Citizens. (We kept getting moved down Castlebay Street until we were opposite Egilsay Crescent.) Denny's brother Michael later took over the round, by which time the Grays (with younger sister Susan) moved along to Liddesdale Road near Ensay Street. Also delivering were Davy Ayton, Mick Kay (from Castlebay Street) whose round was later taken over by younger brother Chris, George Marsland (I think from Scaraway Street), Bernie Boyle (from Torogay Street), Robert Geddes (not sure if that was his first name as he was only ever called by his second) from Mingulay Street and he sold his round to someone called Christian, I think also from Mingulay Street, whose younger brother Norman inherited the round. (I remember people kept singing that awful song that was in the charts by Carol Deene 'Norman - oo oo oo oo oo oo' to annoy him.) His friend Alistair McLean also came along and got his own round. Some of the nicer people were Charlie Callaghan (from Mingulay Crescent), Bauldy - name was Bauld, first name unknown - he moved to Colston and had a sister named Rubina, then there was Beany Triano - great name! - from Scaraway Street way who used to put his haversack over his head in the rain and say 'take me to your leader'. There was someone from Mingulay Street called Bruce - may have been his second name and his round was taken over by Billy Ralston (Mingulay Street again I think). Little Tam Ferguson (I think from Liddesdale Pass), someone called Stewart (surname) from the bottom of Castlebay Street. Sadly there were idiots including some moron called Martin who went on to work in Galbraiths and to this day I think he was the stupidest person I ever met, so he probably works on a Virgin Media helpdesk - Crumlin I think from Mingulay Street, and there was an unpleasant little git from 8 Cathay Street who I only ever knew by the name of 'Minty'.
Most people were aged 14 to 17, dressed in jeans (long before it was fashionable to) and anoraks and carried haversacks. The posh ones like Ralston rode bikes. The van with the papers turned up usually around 4.50 (6.50 on a Saturday)
I delivered between 38 and 58 papers per evening six nights a week. My round started in Egilsay Crescent and I delivered to 41 - Gemmell, 38 - Soutar then round to Scaraway Street delivering to number 7 whose name I don't recall, then number 8 - Snowdon (who had previously lived at 108). Down towards the bus terminus at Skerray Street, delivered to Howell at 51, then back to Scaraway Street 55 - three up the close, Rough and Young in the top flats and Schofield in the 2 up. Also delivered a Times to 57, then across the road to 56 Munro. Along to 66 - Roper, crossing back over to 73 - Pollok (who always pretended to be out when it came time to collect money on Friday.) Up to 79 - McClarty, then across to 96 - Forbes. Just across from Shapinsay Street was the close with 106 - McKendrick and possibly one more, and across again to 101 - McDowell in the bottom flat. Then it was round to Cathay Street starting at 65 - Brand, 57 - name forgotten but they had dog which used to always try to bite and ripped the paper to pieces. 47 - Pittaway, always the best tipper and a class act, then across to 50 - Clark and then on to the bit I often dreaded as quite often Some girls from St Ambrose would try and leap on me and kiss me. I kept on going to 46. There were three deliveries up that close, one was Haldane who did a flit owing money but the only one I remember was McAteer, one up to the left, because I quite liked the daughter, Maggie. at 44 below the McAteers was Gunning. 38 - Cross. Crossed over to numbers 35 and 39 (I think the name was Etherson who had something to do with coal) - across Raasay Street to 34 Cathay Street and McLean, 32 - McDade, 18 Maguire and someone else up that close. Finished up in Castlebay Street at 166 (Clark I think) and 172 - Rutherford. then I made my way back up through Raasay Street, Stornaway Street across the waste ground to the foot of Ronay Street, Torogay Street and Ensay Street back to home sweet home in Liddesdale Road. I have forgotten some names but given it all stopped nearly fifty years ago that's not too bad.
In five years I only had two one week holidays where people stood in for me (and made a mess of it). I was able to miss out on homework classes, but I missed all the kids TV programmes, getting my kicks from Bll Tennant doing 'Here And Now'. I made around 1 a week, I caught colds, got soaked, got snowed on and once in a thick fog, almost got lost. I'd love to say it was fun but it wasn't. Met lots of nice people because despite its reputation for gangs and trouble, Milton was full of nice people who just wanted to get on with their lives. I sold my round for 25/- to schoolfriend Jonah McFaul from Shapinsay Street who followed in my footsteps for a couple of years.

You would think that five years of running around Milton streets would have brought some pain, but the only time I ever had any trouble was from some divot called Hammill who lived in Scaraway Street. He attacked me and demanded money insisting I had overcharged him. (In fact he had inadvertently given their paper boy (Alistair McLean) a 6d tip - a first as they were allegedly notoriously mean.) I tried pointing out that I did not in fact deliver papers to his house, but he kept shoving and demanding money. I did not feel threatened as he talked like a big Jessie and I told him to go away with words that involved sex and travel. He wandered off looking for other paper boys to threaten and even now probably still thinks about and cries over that lost 6d. We were also constantly being asked to move by the police despite the fact we were doing nothing wrong. One night they arrested someone for climbing a tree, saying he was causing a breach of the peace.
Around ten years ago when I had some free time up in Glasgow, I retraced the route of my delivery and strange to say - some people still seemed to be living in those same houses, but last time I checked out Milton, the flats at Scaraway Street and Cathay Street had all been knocked down - and not an Evening Times in sight.

Hope this jogs some memories.

Read ‘Spies At The ABC – Vampires At The Odeon – Culture At The Cosmo’ which is all about Glasgow cinemas and films of the 1960s and
and ‘Sex At The ABC – Kung Fu At The Odeon – Uncensored At The Tatler’, which is all about Glasgow films and cinemas of the 1970s.

A lot of familiar names there, Ian Geddes, Robert & Norman Christian, Ronnie Crumlin all from Mingulay Street, where I lived from 1952 until 1963. Bernard Triano, one of the Clark twins from Castlebay Street, Catherine Clark from Cathay Street & Ronnie Crumlin were all in my class at Miltonbank Primary

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 24th May 2016, 12:07pm
Post #71

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
Hi, Avril, long time no see! I rarely look on forums these days - too busy with the (now) 5 grandchildren.
Hope all is well with you. We are now quite settled here, back in Hertfordshire - almost 6 years since
we left Surrey. Happy days!

It's a long way from Milton, but I do try to get back to Glasgow when I can.

+Quote Post
*Kevin Brown*
post 19th Sep 2016, 10:21pm
Post #72

Margaret went to St Ambrose (I was in her class thru primary).

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 20th Sep 2016, 07:32am
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Kevin Brown @ 19th Sep 2016, 11:21pm) *
Margaret went to St Ambrose (I was in her class thru primary).

Margaret who?

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.