Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Every Man A Penny
Catarina
post 30th Nov 2006, 06:09am
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
well......I shall make an extreme effort to locate this tin, in an effort not to make a complete fool of myself....This tin belonged to the father of my stepmother. He served during the first World War. I just assumed that the picture I saw on it..(.before hiding it for eternity) resembled Queen Victoria. unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 30th Nov 2006, 03:22pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Hi Rab, I noticed that Catarina mentioned Vic & Albert but since he as long gone before Vicky for them both to be on it would have taken it way, way back. But I had heard of the Princess Mary tin, in fact, I have one (no I wasn't there myself laugh.gif and hence my query about which war. biggrin.gif

Catarina, I can see where you thought it could be Vicky, since Mary was her grandaughter and looks a lot like her when she was about the same age. Very interesting tins. GB

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 1st Dec 2006, 06:36pm
Post #18

Super Resident
Well I finally found the darn brass tin....Okay...I am mistaken..It is not Queen Victoria, but someone dearly ressembling her...You mentioned Princess Mary?..Details on the tin...At the bottom it says Christmas 1914..On the top centre is printed...Imperium Britannicum.......Around the tin is printed the following....Japan....Monte Neoro....Servia.....France...Belgium..Russia....If Princess Mary is correct I shall put this info into the tin so my children will know a bit of its history...Thanks to one and all for your interest..Rena

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 1st Dec 2006, 06:40pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Read all about the tins here Catarina.
http://www.kinnethmont.co.uk/1914-1918_fil...as-box-1914.htm wink.gif

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 5th Dec 2006, 05:24pm
Post #20

Super Resident
Rab, I couldn't download the site you suggest. However,I went on e-bay in Scotland, and found someone trying to sell an exact same tin I have,and he/she was naming it.."the Princess Mary tin". I must have seen a tin somewhere,sometime,with a picture of Victoria and Albert,as I could have sworn that was the images on the tin..Well, another mystery solved...Thanks to you and the others....Rena smile.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest tony **
post 30th Oct 2008, 10:44pm
Post #21

hi rena

i just read you post. the coin of your fathers is a masonic coin. i know this because i have one of my own. this coin is very valuable indeed to every freemason and im sure your father valued it dearly as it has massive symbolic meaning.

the lettering does mean something, although the order of the letters as you wrote it is incorrect. the triangle and the circle also mean somthing. it is unlikely that you will find out what they mean as that is secret.

the 1430 refers to the lodge number the coin was given from. if you look up the grand lodge of scotlands website you will see that lodge 1430 is lodge glasgow abercrombie, stevenson street, that meet every 3rd monday of the month in session. this could be the lodge that your father was a member of.

if you wanted to find out much more about your fathers masonic career, for example when he joined and how he was involved, a letter to the secretary of lodge 1430 could do the trick. failing that a letter to the secretary of the provincial lodge of glasgow might prove well.

i have known quite a few people to letter lodges to find out about their relatives in this way and they are always happy with what they find out.

http://www.grandlodgescotland.com/index.ph...&Itemid=131

good luck

tony

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 22nd Feb 2011, 05:46pm
Post #22

I have one of these coins that belonged to my wife's grandfather who fought in both world wars. Although he was a mason it does not have any numbers indicating a lodge anywhere on it that i can see.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 4th Mar 2011, 09:08am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (Gallusbisom @ 30th Nov 2006, 03:59am) *
Hi Caterina,
Just a thought here, if the tin is brass, is it possible that it was a Princess Mary Tin? given out as an Xmas gift in 1914? Since I don't know how old your Dad would be at that time, it could be way off. Princess Mary was the daughter of King George V & Queen Mary. She was 17 at the time. The contents varied and if you can tell me what service your Dad was in I can give you an idea of what the contents were originally. It will say Christmas 1914 Imperium Britannicum on it. Hope this helps. If you want further info. on this please e-mail me. GB

Just to stay on topic, I am think that the coin you mention is the one given to Masons upon passing the rites and is never meant to be anything other than a reminder of how it feels to have nothing and be unable to give to others. Hope I put that correctly but it is not something of commercial value, more of a, if I had it, I would give it sentiment. Anyone out there who is better informed than I of the Masonic Lodge please correct me. GB biggrin.gif

The "mason coin " was meant to idendify you to fellow masons in mixed company or among strangers. The quote "and to every man he gave a penny" I am told is from the bible but I cant remember from which testament.

+Quote Post
benny
post 4th Mar 2011, 12:05pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (Heather @ 28th Nov 2006, 10:11pm) *
Rena, would this have anything to do with a man enlisting in the Army. You know when they signed up they got what was called ,' the Kings shilling'.

I'm sure some of the men on the board who have been in the forces will be able to answer your question.

The original quotation that "they received every man a penny" comes from the New Testament. It's in the parable about the labourers in the vineyard who thought they were ill done to because they had worked all day and only got the same wages as those who were hired later.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 4th Mar 2011, 12:12pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (benny @ 4th Mar 2011, 01:28pm) *
The original quotation that "they received every man a penny" comes from the New Testament. It's in the parable about the labourers in the vineyard who thought they were ill done to because they had worked all day and only got the same wages as those who were hired later.

Surely it was "they received every man a benny" , thus giving them the artificial energy to work longer hours without a rest interval. tongue.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 4th Mar 2011, 12:34pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Catarina @ 28th Nov 2006, 08:59pm) *
I have in my possession a coin,which I found amongst my late father's army stuff....This coin has his name and the number 143O printed around the border,ending in a thistle..In the centre is a design,which sort of looks like a vase or something with two sticks in it making a cross...On the reverse side printed around the border is....THEY RECEIVED EVERY MAN A PENNY......in the centre is a triangle in a circle,around which is the following letters.......W S S T K S H T. Do any of you have any information about this coin? Or perhaps tell me where I may inquire in this regard....Thanks......Rena

Attached Image

The markings on a Mark Masters keystone through which the craftsman could be identified (primarily during the building of King Solomon's Temple)

Q. Among so large a number was not our Grand Master liable to be imposed upon by unskillful workmen presenting work unfit for use?

A. They were not, for King Solomon took the precaution that each craftsman should choose for himself a mark, and place it upon his work, so it should be readily known and distinguished when brought up promiscuously for inspection.

Q. What were the wages of a fellow craft whose work had been approved?

A. One penny a day.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/mas/dun/dun05.htm

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 4th Mar 2011, 12:56pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Catarina, the meaning of the letters can be seen further down on the same page on that link.

H.T.W.S.S.T.K.S.

"Hiram, Tyrian, Widow's, Son, Sendeth, To, King, Solomon."

(hope I'm not giving too much away) biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
benny
post 4th Mar 2011, 07:32pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 4th Mar 2011, 12:35pm) *
Surely it was "they received every man a benny" , thus giving them the artificial energy to work longer hours without a rest interval. tongue.gif

Might've been, Bilbo. Efter aw, Moses wis handed 10 tablets. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 4th Mar 2011, 07:53pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (benny @ 4th Mar 2011, 08:55pm) *
Might've been, Bilbo. Efter aw, Moses wis handed 10 tablets. biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 5th Mar 2011, 01:24am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
Wasn't Ailester Crowley a member of the "thistle" lodge?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.