Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Every Man A Penny
Catarina
post 28th Nov 2006, 09:36pm
Post #1

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
I have in my possession a coin,which I found amongst my late father's army stuff....This coin has his name and the number 143O printed around the border,ending in a thistle..In the centre is a design,which sort of looks like a vase or something with two sticks in it making a cross...On the reverse side printed around the border is....THEY RECEIVED EVERY MAN A PENNY......in the centre is a triangle in a circle,around which is the following letters.......W S S T K S H T. Do any of you have any information about this coin? Or perhaps tell me where I may inquire in this regard....Thanks......Rena
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 28th Nov 2006, 09:48pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Caterina. Its a Masonic coin. Example shown here have a search around these pages are there are differnt coins for different Lodges - http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=na...ch+masons+coins

+Quote Post
Heather
post 28th Nov 2006, 09:48pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Rena, would this have anything to do with a man enlisting in the Army. You know when they signed up they got what was called ,' the Kings shilling'.

I'm sure some of the men on the board who have been in the forces will be able to answer your question.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 28th Nov 2006, 09:53pm
Post #4

Super Resident
Boy that was fast...Thanks Rab and Heather....Rab I cannot download the website you gave. But I do know, that my father was a Mason, a fact I only found out while going through his things after he passed away....Again,,,,Merci

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 28th Nov 2006, 09:55pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
I have re-pasted another link in my post -above - try it Caterina.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 28th Nov 2006, 09:59pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Catarina - sorry - the links are not working. Just do a Google search on 'Royal Arch Masons Coins' and you will get loads of pages to search around in. Rab.

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 28th Nov 2006, 10:25pm
Post #7

Super Resident
Thanks Rab...Did just that,and sent an e-mail to a Gentleman from Scotland who was selling a Coin relating to the FreeMasons,asking about the one in question....I do believe you are correct in believing it is connected to the Masons...Will let you know,what and if this gentleman gets in touch..

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 28th Nov 2006, 10:34pm
Post #8

Super Resident
While on the subject of old things...well sorta....I have a lovely brass tin with a picture of Queen Victoria and Albert on it..At each corner is a symbol, representing I do believe the Countries involved in the first World War....I believe each soldier was given this tin full of candy at Christmas time....Now true or myth?

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 28th Nov 2006, 10:38pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Hi Rena, biggrin.gif Lovely to see ye postin pet.

I think yer on to something, I remember another Member posting the very same thing about a tin of sweeties being given.....in fact wis it no Tommy Kennedy and it was in his Book?
Cripes mibbe no, but I remember reading that.
My Final answer is Yes...it's true laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 29th Nov 2006, 05:14pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Rena. If it was Queen Victoria on the tin then it was given during the Boer War. Victoria donated 'comfort' tins to the troops and contained tobacco/chocolate/sweets/cake. Here is an example -
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 29th Nov 2006, 05:16pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Wherr?....Hud they tae kidoan they goat it or whit Rab laugh.gif
Ah cannae see onythin......oh therr it is ah see it noo laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 29th Nov 2006, 05:24pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
just for you Cath
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 29th Nov 2006, 05:59pm
Post #13

Super Resident
Rab, the tin I have doesn't look anything like the one shown. Mine is all brass. Windn't ye jist know it. I put the darn thing away.Just went to fetch it,and it isnae there,and I can't for the life me think where I put it. Oh the joys of old age...Anyway I know Victoria is on it, and I thought Albert also,of that I am not sure. Perhaps they dished out different kinds? By the bye,received a reply from the gentleman in Scotland. with regards to the Penny which you said was connected to the Freemasons.You were correct Rab..He even gave me the address of where my father would have attended meetings etc., Well now I have the correct info to pass onto my kids and Grandkids. I shall keep looking for my Brass tin...It really is quite lovely. Not a scratch on it...And hi to you there Catherine...Are you going over to Scotland for Christmas? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 29th Nov 2006, 06:36pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Hi Caterina,
Just a thought here, if the tin is brass, is it possible that it was a Princess Mary Tin? given out as an Xmas gift in 1914? Since I don't know how old your Dad would be at that time, it could be way off. Princess Mary was the daughter of King George V & Queen Mary. She was 17 at the time. The contents varied and if you can tell me what service your Dad was in I can give you an idea of what the contents were originally. It will say Christmas 1914 Imperium Britannicum on it. Hope this helps. If you want further info. on this please e-mail me. GB

Just to stay on topic, I am think that the coin you mention is the one given to Masons upon passing the rites and is never meant to be anything other than a reminder of how it feels to have nothing and be unable to give to others. Hope I put that correctly but it is not something of commercial value, more of a, if I had it, I would give it sentiment. Anyone out there who is better informed than I of the Masonic Lodge please correct me. GB biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 29th Nov 2006, 07:06pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
GB. She says Queen Vic and Albert are on the front. QV died in 1901!.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.