Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tom Weir Died Yesterday, At the grand age of 91!
Scotty2005
post 7th Jul 2006, 11:06am
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 2,471
I'm sad to say that the man with the woolly bunnet yesterday passed away. Tom Weir, the presenter of the famous STV series Weir's Way and brother of the showbiz personality Molly, died yesterday afternoon at a nursing home in West Dunbartonshire. Tom first developed a love for hill walking as a boy when he explored the Campsie Hills (a bus ride from his home in Springburn), and continued this love throughout his life, going on to become a national celebrity as a nature commentator and environment conversationalist.

Here's to the wee man, may his memory live on!

Veteran Scottish broadcaster dies 

07 July 2006 11:00   

One of Scotland's most well-known broadcasters and champion of the great outdoors, Tom Weir, has died.  The 91-year-old was best known through his long running stv series Weirs Way in which he explored the Scottish countryside.  It is understood he passed away yesterday at a retirement home in Balloch.

He was a climber, a naturalist, an explorer, a writer but most of all he was one of the first ever TV presenters to bring the beauty of Scotland's great outdoors to a worldwide audience . In his wooly bunnet and Fair Isle jumper, Tom Weir was an unmistakable figure roaming across the Scottish landscape.

He was born in Glasgow's Springburn in 1914 and grew up without his father who was killed in the First World War.  After his own war time service, he was employed as a surveyor for Ordinance Survey but soon established a full time career as a writer, climber and and photographer. 

He traveled widely and was of the first mountaineers to explore  Nepal. In Scotland he was best known for being presenter of  Weir's Way which recently found popularity with a younger audience.  An icon in Scottish life, he will be remembered for  bringing natural beauty of Scotland to  thousand of viewers.

Scotty.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 7th Jul 2006, 11:45am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
this man was a scottish tresure bringing to us as a teenager and very sporty at that he was the inspration to make climbing the cobbler and pentland hills and the cairngorms all to televison to make the mountains look so appealing his life was so interesting as was his sister molly another famous scot passed over to the mountains in another place where ever it may be R.I.P.THOMAS WEIR

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 7th Jul 2006, 01:15pm
Post #3

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
Tom Weir was instrumental in bringing the Scottish countryside to all our comfortable armchairs. He was an enthusiastic, amiable and simplistic broadcaster who was on par with any of his peers, past and present. Unlike many presenters Tom did not bask in the limelight of television, it was in fact a medium for him to communicate his interests and for us; we got to explore our undiscovered country.

I think Tom was vastly underrated by his peers, sadly sometimes ridiculed because of his bobble hat and woolly jumper. I think for a time, STV found him to be ‘unfashionable’ but someone saw sense and repeated his series in the early hours where it once again gained cult status for a whole new generation.

I had read last year that he approached STV and asked for copies of his ‘show’ so that he could watch them privately, as he was no longer able to climb. Apparently STV refused his request but I don’t know if they had a change of heart (doubt it).

A great man, who represented everything which is great about Scotland and being Scottish, has died, but a legend has been born!

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 7th Jul 2006, 01:48pm
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
great wee man ,he brought Scotland alive,

+Quote Post
stratson
post 7th Jul 2006, 02:37pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Very sad to read of Tom Weir's death,
What a gentleman,
He brought to life parts of Scotland that I had never known.
The type of life he lived tells you multitudes about the man,
Hence his longevity.
I am proud of my fellow Scot. R.I.P.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Java
post 7th Jul 2006, 03:45pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Lack of money and transport as we were growing up meant our family didn't get out and about around our beautiful country as much as we would have liked, but we 'took many a walk' with this great man....I agree Thomas, a legend born...may he rest in peace.

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
marina
post 7th Jul 2006, 06:15pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
i loved watching his programme, his sister molly died last year and they are a very talented family its a very sad loss for scotland

--------------------
Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 7th Jul 2006, 06:28pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
Could I ask what year(s) his programmes were aired? I don't recall every seeing one of his shows. I do recall watching his sister, a very talented actress. Jaybee

+Quote Post
Java
post 7th Jul 2006, 06:37pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Jaybee, I seem to remember being mid teens which would make it mid seventies but I could be wrong...(it has been known laugh.gif )...and I'm pretty sure it's available on DVD these days..

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 7th Jul 2006, 07:08pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
QUOTE (javamol @ 7th Jul 2006, 07:54 PM)
Jaybee, I seem to remember being mid teens which would make it mid seventies but I could be wrong...(it has been known laugh.gif )...and I'm pretty sure it's available on DVD these days..

Aha.... I left Scotland in 1962, must have been after that. See, ah wisny deprived. Mind you, I forgot to mention that I was 18 when I was watching Bill and Ben...lol

+Quote Post
marina
post 7th Jul 2006, 08:02pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
flobalob weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

--------------------
Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
GG
post 7th Jul 2006, 10:26pm
Post #12

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Very sad to see Tom passing away - my gran knew both Molly and Tom from Springburn and I heard quite a few stories about them both growing up. I for one gratly enjoyed the recent late-night re-runs of Weir's Way and I look forward to seeing them on telly again. For jaybee and anyone else, I found some interesting info about the series DVD:

Weir's way dvd set , the complete collection 1 - 5. Now you can own all the five complete series on this very special 5 disc dvd set. This is the best of scottish culture & history. Climber, naturalist and explorer tom Weir has enthralled television audiences for more than a decade. Weir's way effortlessly translates tom's enthusiasm and passion for walking the countryside and Scotland's history, inspiring many others to explore Scotland's surroundings. For anyone with a love or passion for beautiful Scotland, then this dvd set is for you, you can explore with tom as he visits most and remote parts of Scotland.

Series One:

Episode No 1. "Glen Affric"
Episode No 2. "Wester Ross: Loch Maree"
Episode No 3. "Inner Loch Torridon"
Episode No 4. "North And South Applecross"

Series Two:

Episode No 1. "Wanlockhead"
Episode No 2. "At Tarbert"
Episode No 3. "Kintyre"
Episode No 4. "The South End Of Kintyre"

Series Three:

Episode No 1. "Collieston And Forvie"
Episode No 2. "The Brae's O'mar"
Episode No 3. "The Lady Of Lawers"
Episode No 4. "An Edinburgh Volcano"
Episode No 5. "Alexander Selkirk"
Episode No 6. "Anstruther"
Episode No 7. "The New Settlers"

Series Four:

Episode No 1. "The Rough Bounds"
Episode No 2. "The Seven Men"
Episode No 3. "Water, Wind And Fire"

Series Five:

Episode No 1. "Eriskay"
Episode No 2. "Sailing"
Episode No 3. "Isle Of Muck - Part 1"
Episode No 4. "Isle Of Muck - Part 2"
Episode No 5. "The Prince In The Hebrides"

Here's to you Tom, you brought knowledge and entertainment to a great many people, young and old.

GG.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
carmella
post 7th Jul 2006, 10:44pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
A most interesting man indeed. I remember only too well how he brought to life for me many parts of Scotland's beautiful countryside, and all its hills, mountains and munros.

I loved both listening to him and watching him. He had a very obvious great love for what he would impart to us all, as said earlier whilst we sat in our armchairs and watched.

A very nice, and I would think gentle man in every way.

Some of his programmes "Weir's Way" can still be seen on satellite and cable, whenever I get the chance I watch and it brings back some lovely memories of their original airing.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 8th Jul 2006, 04:09pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
I often wonder why TV companies dont repeat great series such as Toms. Their unquestioned popularity would bring in profits and we would, once again enjoy this lovely mans simple explanations of the joys of the great outdoors. RIP. sad.gif

+Quote Post
leeninaus
post 8th Jul 2006, 04:52pm
Post #15

City Key Holder
Member No.: 191
Obviously here was a guy that was very interesting! I thought I had heard of him on one of the "Dice Man" programmes which I had video'd but not the same person! can I obtain him on VCR or DVD ??

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.