Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Discussion Forums - Are They Relevant Now?
Thomas
post 7th Oct 2015, 09:06am
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
I'm more of a reader than a contributor to forums such as these, but I've noticed over the past few months that many of the Glasgow associated/related forums are dying a death.

I know some people don't have much confidence in writing and uploading posts because they're worried about their language skills. I know that some don't contribute because they believe they don't have an opinion or knowledge on a subject or issue.

Have these forums had their day?

What stops you from posting?

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tombro
post 7th Oct 2015, 09:25am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Not really ! You don't have to post on forums every day, just post on those that tickle your fancy ! One little problem, for me, is the rapid growth of the aggressive posters, those who will jump down your throat every time you share an opinion you have because it opposes their opinions. Forums are fun places to learn, share an opinion and have a laugh. Sadly, some people use them to express their vitriol in an effort to glorify themselves, but, to most people, forums are a fun way to express their feelings !

Tombro smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 7th Oct 2015, 09:58am
Post #3

City Key Holder
QUOTE (tombro @ 7th Oct 2015, 10:33am) *
Not really ! You don't have to post on forums every day, just post on those that tickle your fancy ! One little problem, for me, is the rapid growth of the aggressive posters, those who will jump down your throat every time you share an opinion you have because it opposes their opinions. Forums are fun places to learn, share an opinion and have a laugh. Sadly, some people use them to express their vitriol in an effort to glorify themselves, but, to most people, forums are a fun way to express their feelings !

Tombro smile.gif smile.gif

I agree 100% with your sentiments.

I've witnessed more aggressive posting of late and a lot of it at the time was at people's use of spelling or grammar. I've also watched posts slump to personal attacks over political opinions and I believe folks turn off and turn away.

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 7th Oct 2015, 09:59am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Hello Thomas.
I'm fairly new to this and I have to admit that it took some courage to start writing on here but I have to say that it does brighten my day.
You really don't need to have any 'knowledge' as such - just your thoughts or stories or even a joke.
I agree with tombro about the aggressive posters but if you steer clear of politics then it's OK.
Not having language skills shouldn't stop people posting as long as the gist of what they are saying comes across. (You have to just ignore the ones who will pounce on a spelling mistake, for example, as they are just sad people with nothing better to do.)
On the whole the people on here are lovely.
You say you're a reader rather than a contributor. What is it that stops you contributing?

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 7th Oct 2015, 10:17am
Post #5

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
There are unpleasant people everywhere but here on GG in the main they are on the political threads.

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 7th Oct 2015, 11:00am
Post #6

City Key Holder
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 7th Oct 2015, 11:07am) *
Hello Thomas.
I'm fairly new to this and I have to admit that it took some courage to start writing on here but I have to say that it does brighten my day.
You really don't need to have any 'knowledge' as such - just your thoughts or stories or even a joke.
I agree with tombro about the aggressive posters but if you steer clear of politics then it's OK.
Not having language skills shouldn't stop people posting as long as the gist of what they are saying comes across. (You have to just ignore the ones who will pounce on a spelling mistake, for example, as they are just sad people with nothing better to do.)
On the whole the people on here are lovely.
You say you're a reader rather than a contributor. What is it that stops you contributing?

I do post Betsy, but only if and when it is prudent to do so. I am a member of other well known forums and some people post a response to everything (or used to) whereas I prefer to read what's been posted and if I am able to add to it, I will.

I admit that my interests are quite narrow and so if nothing interests me, I don't add to it. If I don't know something that is the subject matter, I won't add to it.

It's just the same in the 'house' with the wife and kids, I hardly get a word in and I know my place...I'm fourth in line to the remote control and usually get to add to any debate at the end when everyone has left the house.... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 7th Oct 2015, 11:02am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Forums are much better than lets say facebook. Which in the main is a lot of drivel being posted as something relevant.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 7th Oct 2015, 11:17pm
Post #8

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
When I was married 57 years ago,"remote" was the moon,now it`s that thing that sits across the room in my husband`s hand,and which I only get a sniff at on the odd evening he has to go out. So Thomas when you say you are 4 th in the queue for it,I had to laugh out loud,I can just see your tongue firmly in your cheek.I DON`T BELIEVE YOU,anyway,keep posting I like your wry humour.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 8th Oct 2015, 08:23am
Post #9

Some people frequently use these forums to express their angst. They seem basically deprived of all but the meanest appraisal of subjects presented to them for comment. There is little or nothing can be done to quell their angry rhetoric, but in their condemnation and aggressive attitude to those of whom they can have little or scant knowledge of their true feelings or personality borders on the hysterical at times.

I have said in the past and will again "Ignore them and they will (having none rise to their bait) go away".

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.