Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drivers!, Pet Hates?
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Dec 2014, 11:01pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (davidhendry @ 18th Jul 2013, 06:13am) *
... Telling the story, I was told, to save all the trouble involved in a test, I should"ve just paid the cops a backhander!!!!!!!!!

Davie.

Reminds me tongue.gif
After 4 years of driving, I decided I really should find time to take a test.
during the test I was asked to pull over and using Forward and reverse gears turn the car around to drive in the opposite direction. During this manouver I felt the rear tyre touch the kerb. Returning to base I was told I had failed the test on Observation and Control.
The normal waiting period before another test couold be taken was 6 weeks but I managed to get one within 3 weeks on the grounds that I was self-employed and needed the licence asap.
2nd test, same place, same manouver, same mishap, same tester.
Return to base. He Looks at the board on his lap and asks, "Mr Hee, can you actually turn a car without touching the kerb?"
"Off course I effin' can ... Oh, sorry!" blush.gif
"Give me your (provisional) licence please."
As I took my licence out of my wallet I managed to bring out all the bank notes too and watched them flutter onto the guys lap.
"Too late for that Mr Hee, I've already given you a pass" clap.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 11th Dec 2014, 08:09am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 11th Dec 2014, 01:11am) *
Tomi, one of the many advantages of the climate I now live in, is that exhausts last a wee bit longer, due to having little rain and absolutely no snow - therefore no shit spread on the roads. My car registered April 2006 still has its original exhaust. I guess being diesel also helps. Back in Scotland something would go after 18 months max.

Years ago I had a Mazda 323 that I had bought new, when it was stolen with almost 260,000 kilometers on the clock the only thing that had been replaced were brakes and tires.
I've never had to replace any exhaust here.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 11th Dec 2014, 09:38am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
The first car I had after I'd had my boys was a little Nissan Micra. It kept going quite happily for 12 years then it started having things wrong with it. I loved that car. I hated to part with it but it did start to need so much work it wasn't worth spending the money on it.

Sorry - slightly off topic.

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 19th Dec 2014, 12:22am
Post #34

QUOTE (davidhendry @ 18th Jul 2013, 05:13am) *
You've never seen BAD driving!!

My driving test in India...........

I'm in the driving school car, in what could only be described as an abandoned industrial estate. A uniformed cop comes and sits beside me. " You drive." After c100metres told to turn left. c200metres told to turn right, and stop. We're on a slight gradient, and he tells me to stop. Ah, thinks I, hill start. He gives me a form to sign and leaves the car. A civvie jumps in. I ask him what's happening. " You sign paper ? You pass.

Telling the story, I was told, to save all the trouble involved in a test, I should"ve just paid the cops a backhander!!!!!!!!!

Hence, my first sentence.

Davie.

Recently in Southern China, I was in a taxi who initially misunderstood the directions and on correcting the made an impromptu "U turn" on a roundabout through six lanes of traffic. Bear in mind that drivers in China are rigorously educated and tested before getting a licence. This was not an uncommon occurrence!!

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 19th Dec 2014, 06:06am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Tally Rand @ 19th Dec 2014, 02:39am) *
Recently in Southern China, I was in a taxi who initially misunderstood the directions and on correcting the made an impromptu "U turn" on a roundabout through six lanes of traffic. Bear in mind that drivers in China are rigorously educated and tested before getting a licence. This was not an uncommon occurrence!!

Our taxis are just the same its all down to lack of law enforcement and corruption, over here they would cut across those lanes to pick up or drop of a passenger, you even see them stop smack in the middle of a traffic light controlled intersection for their passengers

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 10th Feb 2015, 09:03am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I was out the other day and went to park in the multi-storey car park in East Kilbride. It's the kind with two lanes as you enter and taking a token raises the barrier. There were two cars in front of me and both went into the same lane, so I went into the other. I was conscious of the first car beside me passing under their barrier and going into the park so I waited until it was clear before going forward. Half way up the ramp I was overtaken by the second car (I've still no idea how, given the space available) ohmy.gif

The woman, driving a VW golf, then slowed down in front of me. Now't queer as folk laugh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Feb 2015, 09:36am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Morning Ash ! That's nothing - a year or so ago I was exiting a basement car park to be met by a woman entering down the exit ramp. Being a gentleman, I reversed to let her continue and, of course, the barrier had descended, leaving me in limbo (Get it ?) . I had to ring up the attendant to escape.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
*Ille Gall*
post 11th Feb 2015, 09:33am
Post #38

QUOTE (DannyH @ 1st Nov 2014, 11:40pm) *
I have rented a lock-up garage from the County Council for about 45 years. The garage is one of sixteen which form a rectangle. My garage is in a corner.

Over the years the area in front of the garage doors has been used by strangers using it to repair their cars. Tonight I was unable to get my car out of the garage because a car was parked outside my garage door. The driver had just parked there and left his car!

I left a note on his windscreen, under the wipers, thanking him for his consideration and telling him if he does it again, I will contact the police. I can't see the police wanting to get involved, so maybe I should let his tyres down if he comes back.
What if it turns out to be a stolen car, and I have to confess to the police it was me who let the tyres down. Will I be charged for aiding and abetting in the theft?

I think it would be better for me to put on disposable gloves and put a brick through the windscreen.
With my luck it will turn out to be a doctor's car, and the doctor was on an emergency call.

Oh stuff it, I will give up the lock-up and scrap the car.

Regards to All

Danny Harris

Try brake fluid on the paint work. Wont cause an accident or inconvenience but will get the message across.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 12th Feb 2015, 05:31am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
The dumbest people on the roads are not drivers, they are pedestrians, I mean drivers for the most part know how to drive on the road,drivers I know passed a test to prove they knew the rules of the road.
When have you ever heard of a pedestrian passing a proficiency test on how to walk on any road, they have got no idea how to walk on the road, they really think they have right of way once they step of the pavement and seem to be under the impression that they are far stronger than anything made of metal traveling at a speed much faster than they can walk. they seem to think a car will bounce off them, will stop at a single look from them.
They saunter across the road at an angle to the pavement, step onto the road without looking, concentrating on their cell phone, newspaper or daydreams.
Pedestrians keep them of the roads laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 12th Feb 2015, 08:37am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Dave, surely you know the pedestrian rule, that they can't be killed by a car as long as they don't look at it rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 12th Feb 2015, 09:44am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
I think the worse pedestrians are the ones who don't drive.
They don't have the automatic check left and right before moving forward or look behind you before turning right/overtaking, etc.!

+Quote Post
taurus
post 12th Feb 2015, 09:43pm
Post #42

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
I think the movies have a lot to do with how dangerously (especially young men) treat the roads when pedestrians. in the movies you`ll see the star running across 4 lanes of thick traffic,(in New York mainly),and somehow manages to get them to stop and let him reach the other side unscathed. That`s not the real world,it can`t happen like that,try that on any road in the world and you`re mincemeat.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 12th Feb 2015, 11:20pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
... but the baddies get knocked down!

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 13th Feb 2015, 05:28am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
The ones that run across the road normally dont cause any problem, its rare that they take any real chances its the other pedestrians that dont really know the difference between the pavement and the road that are the real problem, they dont seem to understand that taking that one step puts them into a place where the rules have now changed against them, no driver will enter a roundabout or highway without understanding that the traffic pattern has now moved up a notch, pedestrians that have never driven just seem to drift along without a care in the world, until that bus, truck or car decides otherwise.

+Quote Post
mossgiel
post 13th Feb 2015, 08:30am
Post #45

Visitor
Member No.: 28,565
The one that gets me,are people stepping out from behind parked cars,vans ,lorries and busses pushing a pram,whilst not being being able to see the oncoming traffic.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.