Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drivers!, Pet Hates?
mlconnelly
post 17th Jul 2013, 05:46pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I've got loads of pet hates when it comes to driving but the biggest one is queue jumpers and the drives who let them jump, they drive me nuts. That said, it might well be something else tomorrow. Mary
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 17th Jul 2013, 06:01pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
DavidT - ooops!

+Quote Post
davidhendry
post 18th Jul 2013, 04:56am
Post #18

Super Resident
Member No.: 7,214
You've never seen BAD driving!!

My driving test in India...........

I'm in the driving school car, in what could only be described as an abandoned industrial estate. A uniformed cop comes and sits beside me. " You drive." After c100metres told to turn left. c200metres told to turn right, and stop. We're on a slight gradient, and he tells me to stop. Ah, thinks I, hill start. He gives me a form to sign and leaves the car. A civvie jumps in. I ask him what's happening. " You sign paper ? You pass.

Telling the story, I was told, to save all the trouble involved in a test, I should"ve just paid the cops a backhander!!!!!!!!!

Hence, my first sentence.

Davie.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 5th Sep 2013, 10:17am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
What does it take to make people drive safely?
This pile up really shouldn't have happened, should it?

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/serious-injuries...100-car-pile-up

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 21st Dec 2013, 07:53am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
21st December and we are up to 600 deaths as the result of road accidents so far headed for our average holiday tally of 1200 no problem I think, not surprising as on the radio this morning it was reported that only 17 percent of active drivers have a legally obtained drivers licence.

in an accident two months ago it was discovered that the truck had an expired licence, the driver had bought his heavy goods licence (code EC or the old code 14) the result was 22 people killed when the inexperienced driver drove down a steep hill the trucks brakes failed and coulden't stop and ploughed into several cars and taxis

+Quote Post
anonymous
post 21st Dec 2013, 09:56am
Post #21

Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,804
My pet hate is people who cut in front of you, happended to me on the M8 a van cut out from the slip road causing me to brake sharply, looked at the back of the van and it was Mr. Kipling!

Got to Glasgow and a double decker bus pulled out in front of me, looked at the back of the bus and there was a giant Bertie Basset smiling at me.

Cut up by Mr.Kipling and Bertie Bassett on the same day!

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 21st Dec 2013, 10:13am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 21st Dec 2013, 08:10am) *
21st December and we are up to 600 deaths as the result of road accidents so far headed for our average holiday tally of 1200 no problem I think, not surprising as on the radio this morning it was reported that only 17 percent of active drivers have a legally obtained drivers licence.

in an accident two months ago it was discovered that the truck had an expired licence, the driver had bought his heavy goods licence (code EC or the old code 14) the result was 22 people killed when the inexperienced driver drove down a steep hill the trucks brakes failed and coulden't stop and ploughed into several cars and taxis

From a country where a guy can 'fool' the main political party and National government that he is sign language interpreter, get placed behind some of the worlds most powerful people Live on TV and wildly wave his arms about like a drunk trying to swat a fly, that figure does not surprise me one bit biggrin.gif

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 21st Dec 2013, 10:13am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (davidhendry @ 18th Jul 2013, 07:13am) *
You've never seen BAD driving!!

My driving test in India...........

I'm in the driving school car, in what could only be described as an abandoned industrial estate. A uniformed cop comes and sits beside me. " You drive." After c100metres told to turn left. c200metres told to turn right, and stop. We're on a slight gradient, and he tells me to stop. Ah, thinks I, hill start. He gives me a form to sign and leaves the car. A civvie jumps in. I ask him what's happening. " You sign paper ? You pass.

Telling the story, I was told, to save all the trouble involved in a test, I should"ve just paid the cops a backhander!!!!!!!!!

Hence, my first sentence.

Davie.

My test was the Monday after a local boxer won the world championship and all the examiner wanted to do was talk about the fight and at the end of the test when I asked him if I had passed he said no problem, I think everybody passed that day.
I passed that test in an old Vauxhall Victor I had bough and taught myself to drive in it going out at night when the roads where empty.

The code for that class of licence at the time was code 8 so I asked for and was given a code 9 that let me drive up to ten tons. When the new credit card licence was introduced I discovered that they had upgraded me to a code ECI that allows me to drive up to sixteen tons.
Only in Africa laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 30th Oct 2014, 09:24am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
The transport company in the warehouse next door to us proudly showed me their brand new truck yesterday an 8 ton Mercedes, brand new with 22 kilometers on the clock.
Last night their driver drove it down to the coast with its first load, this morning I am told he fell asleep at the wheel and drove into the back of a horse and trailer and had to be cut out of the wreckage.
Ah well such is the joys of SA driving. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 1st Nov 2014, 11:23pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
I have rented a lock-up garage from the County Council for about 45 years. The garage is one of sixteen which form a rectangle. My garage is in a corner.

Over the years the area in front of the garage doors has been used by strangers using it to repair their cars. Tonight I was unable to get my car out of the garage because a car was parked outside my garage door. The driver had just parked there and left his car!

I left a note on his windscreen, under the wipers, thanking him for his consideration and telling him if he does it again, I will contact the police. I can't see the police wanting to get involved, so maybe I should let his tyres down if he comes back.
What if it turns out to be a stolen car, and I have to confess to the police it was me who let the tyres down. Will I be charged for aiding and abetting in the theft?

I think it would be better for me to put on disposable gloves and put a brick through the windscreen.
With my luck it will turn out to be a doctor's car, and the doctor was on an emergency call.

Oh stuff it, I will give up the lock-up and scrap the car.

Regards to All

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 9th Dec 2014, 09:16pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Do not tamper with the illegally parked car Danny....if you contact the police they will arrange a rapid pick up of the illegally parked car and he will be charged to get the car released.If you attempt to block him in anyway the police will charge you even if it is on your property....the police also state that if the car is accidentally damaged on your property then the owner has no recall on you.....so if it just happens to be on the same day your bins are collected ah well that was unfortunate.....

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 9th Dec 2014, 11:38pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (rossmckenzie @ 9th Dec 2014, 09:33pm) *
Do not tamper with the illegally parked car Danny....if you contact the police they will arrange a rapid pick up of the illegally parked car and he will be charged to get the car released.If you attempt to block him in anyway the police will charge you even if it is on your property....the police also state that if the car is accidentally damaged on your property then the owner has no recall on you.....so if it just happens to be on the same day your bins are collected ah well that was unfortunate.....

Hello Ross

Thanks for your advice.

The 'culprit' has come back again. I didn't phone the police because, with all the bad weather, they will have enough traffic problems to deal with. Once 'normal' weather conditions return, I will act on your advice, and call the police.

Thanks again

Danny

+Quote Post
wombat
post 10th Dec 2014, 08:00pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
tongue.gif shove a spud up his exhaust pipe, tongue.gif (push it in deeper with a stick)

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Dec 2014, 10:28pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Wom, just after hallowe'en I found what I thought was a Long-haired wig stickin' out my exhaust pipe so I riped it out and had a secret wee laugh at some cheeky Kids ... until a day or two later I found more hanging out and thought they must have stuck that wig well up the pipe ... until a few days after there was more and Bonnie's owner; the Meister Motor Mechanic, told me it was the the insides of the exhaust pipe coming out and depending on how much Money I've left over Christmas it'll take at least ¤300 to replace that box rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Dec 2014, 10:54pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Tomi, one of the many advantages of the climate I now live in, is that exhausts last a wee bit longer, due to having little rain and absolutely no snow - therefore no shit spread on the roads. My car registered April 2006 still has its original exhaust. I guess being diesel also helps. Back in Scotland something would go after 18 months max.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.