Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plant Street
Andy647
post 15th Jul 2010, 07:31pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,697
I am trying to uncover some memories of Plant Street in Glasgow, which I've seen mentioned previously in passing in a thread about Duke Street.

My mum and her two brothers were all born there between 1930 and 1933 at 45 Plant Street, but sadly they are all now dead and there is no one left in the immediate family with links to our Glaswegian roots.

A couple of years ago on a trip north I called by for a look as the street appeared to be on the Glasgow A-Z, but there was nothing left there apart from a few cobbles.

I'd love to know more about the street and what it was like - my grandparents moved to Yorkshire to look for work but my grandma died a couple of years later from TB so that time in Plant Street was the only time they had togeteher as a family.

Any info gratefully received!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cash-Ma-Giro
post 15th Jul 2010, 08:59pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,023
I'm afraid I don't have any information regarding Plant street andy647. However in case you didn't take any photographs of the street when you were up visiting, here's a couple I've taken from Google Street Map/View.

Hope another member can give the info you're looking for.

cash.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Remember, just above those clouds,
the sun is always shining.

+Quote Post
john h
post 2nd Nov 2010, 09:44am
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,932
hi andy my dad was born at 45 plant street in 1936 i have one picture of my dad as a kid in plant street but for the life i cant find it when i do find it i will post onto the site good luck on trying to find photos of this elusive street i've been trying for years john

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 2nd Nov 2010, 07:03pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
QUOTE (Andy647 @ 15th Jul 2010, 08:17pm) *
I am trying to uncover some memories of Plant Street in Glasgow, which I've seen mentioned previously in passing in a thread about Duke Street.

My mum and her two brothers were all born there between 1930 and 1933 at 45 Plant Street, but sadly they are all now dead and there is no one left in the immediate family with links to our Glaswegian roots.

A couple of years ago on a trip north I called by for a look as the street appeared to be on the Glasgow A-Z, but there was nothing left there apart from a few cobbles.

I'd love to know more about the street and what it was like - my grandparents moved to Yorkshire to look for work but my grandma died a couple of years later from TB so that time in Plant Street was the only time they had togeteher as a family.

Like it Andy! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
**Mick**
post 10th Aug 2011, 10:29pm
Post #5

Hi Andy,I was born in Plant st in 1960,our house looked onto the railway line,was only 4 when we moved from there but still remember playing out in the backcourts.My wee pal's family owned the Italian cafe right across the back from us,it was situated on duke st,right next to where the pelican crossing still is. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andy647
post 6th Sep 2011, 01:35pm
Post #6

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,697
Hi Mick, thanks for the reply, if you have any photos from the time you were there then let me know. Andy

+Quote Post
*linda skivington*
post 20th Dec 2011, 04:35am
Post #7

hi i was born in plant street in may 1960 our family name was skivington and i only lived there for a short time however my mums brother lived there as well his family was daly. and when i was 18 at college i met a girl who was also born there 2 weeks before i was born her family name was mcaleer

+Quote Post
Alec05
post 29th Mar 2012, 09:44pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,270
Hi Andy , like john's father Iwas born in 9 plant street in 1936.(If john you read this my name is alec carson what 's your father's name). ilived there until i was eleven, and remember agreat amont of those who stayed there at this time.I used to travel o St. Michael's School Parkhead. OUR LOCAL PICTURE HOUSES WERE, the scotia millerston street, parade meadowpark street, park cinema, denistoun picture house,the grenada parkhead, 3 p's ( parkhead picture palace, black cat. unfortunately not many people had cameras so pictures were a luxury.please reply if you want more.

+Quote Post
john h
post 30th Apr 2012, 08:33am
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,932
QUOTE (Alec05 @ 29th Mar 2012, 09:49pm) *
Hi Andy , like john's father Iwas born in 9 plant street in 1936.(If john you read this my name is alec carson what 's your father's name). ilived there until i was eleven, and remember agreat amont of those who stayed there at this time.I used to travel o St. Michael's School Parkhead. OUR LOCAL PICTURE HOUSES WERE, the scotia millerston street, parade meadowpark street, park cinema, denistoun picture house,the grenada parkhead, 3 p's ( parkhead picture palace, black cat. unfortunately not many people had cameras so pictures were a luxury.please reply if you want more.

Hi Alec my dads name was Jim (James) Hendry he had two brothers Ronnie born 1928? and George born 1930 i think my dad stayed there until 1950? the family split up a few years after the war he then went and stayed with his dad on duke street he joined the army in 1954 sad to say he died a few years ago now it would be good to speak to someone who remembers him and the family all the best John Hendry

+Quote Post
davidhendry
post 30th Apr 2012, 10:34am
Post #10

Super Resident
Member No.: 7,214
QUOTE (john h @ 30th Apr 2012, 08:38am) *
Hi Alec my dads name was Jim (James) Hendry he had two brothers Ronnie born 1928? and George born 1930 i think my dad stayed there until 1950? the family split up a few years after the war he then went and stayed with his dad on duke street he joined the army in 1954 sad to say he died a few years ago now it would be good to speak to someone who remembers him and the family all the best John Hendry

Did any of your family move to Provanmill Rd. or Ravelston St., Carntyne ?

Davie.

+Quote Post
Alec05
post 30th Apr 2012, 04:11pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,270
Hi John the only Hendry I can recall was Alfie Hendry. He lived around the corner in Netherfield Street. Asked my older sister and she can only remember Alfie and his brother(s) sorry don't remember their names as they were older than us. Regards Alec

+Quote Post
lollli52
post 22nd Oct 2012, 05:56pm
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 14,827
QUOTE (Andy647 @ 15th Jul 2010, 08:46pm) *

Hi Andy647, i was born in no 40 plant st in 1960 and lived there till i was 8 years old but my fathers family had live in the street since the 1800s 4 or 5 generations of my dads family lived in the street , the collins family the loydall family , the nicols , the campbells all married in to the collins family and were all music hall artists except for my grandfather collins , i have a photo of my mum and auntie and cousin in the back court of 40 plant st in the 1960s but i have a lot of happy memories of the little street, it was once in its time a very nice street but was well past its best by the time my family moved out it was at one time a sought after street to live in it even had a dunny close with a creepy dungeon stair case that as kids we loved to play in and scare the wits out of our selfs , happy days

+Quote Post
serabash
post 23rd Oct 2012, 01:12pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
I have a couple of pals that lived in plant st, the gemmell's and the sinclair's

+Quote Post
Bill Elrick
post 6th Mar 2014, 11:19pm
Post #14

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,918
Hi I am Bill Elrick my father is trying to join the ggdiscuss forum . he sent me an email to pass on however.quote below

I was born at 45 plant st. On1930 l stayed on the bottom level , the family Gibson was upstairs,there was five children,Jean,Ellen, Fammie George William,we all grew up together l knew them all very well,we all played together.l think Andy your mother must have been Fammie,according to your letter.the last word l heard of Fammie was she was getting married and mooving to Eastkilbride new town, at that time. EVERY time l was up there l kept an eye open for her , but never ever seen her again Billy Elrick 45 sorry never had a photo.

+Quote Post
Bill Elrick
post 7th Mar 2014, 02:39pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,918
Hi I am Bill Elrick my father is trying to join the ggdiscuss forum . he sent me an email to pass on however.quote below

I was born at 45 plant st. In1930 l stayed on the bottom level , the family Gibson was upstairs, there was five children, Jean, Ellen, Fammie, George and William, we all grew up together. l knew them all very well, we all played together. l think Andy, your mother must have been Fammie, according to your letter. The last l heard of Fammie was she was getting married and moving to East kilbride new town, at that time. EVERY time l was up there l kept an eye open for her, but never ever seen her again.
Billy Elrick 45 sorry never had a photo.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.