Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moeshy, does anyone remember this game
mrssnuffy
post 14th Feb 2010, 03:12pm
Post #16

Super Visitor
Member No.: 8,120
Hi Foxy52, where in Fairfax? If you hated dc traffic then you'd do your nut in now. I swear it's taken years off my life. Nobody would speak to me when I first got into the office; gave me time to calm down and have a couple of coffees!!! Don't know your other sisters. I never knew any other Foxes, only family.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 14th Feb 2010, 06:21pm
Post #17

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
Hi again mrssnuffy, l got my places mixed up, she lived in Falls Church W.Va, but worked in Frederick, Maryland. She was director of admissions for ITT technical Colleges. She moved around a lot. She is retired now and living in Lewisburg Tenn.
I have to admit that when l was driving trucks the cities l hated most were.... Chicago, New York, and L.A. I miss the job though, but every now and then my son will let me drive for a day or two,Funny when you think about it, l bought the truck!!!!!!
Foxy

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 14th Feb 2010, 10:21pm
Post #18

Super Visitor
Hi Foxy, was in Detroit once in Jan. 1978 and I think DC at present is worse. Finally got driveway cleared but more snow tomorrow. Did you mean Falls Church, VA.? I used to live there also. It's amazing how may ex-pats are in the US and how you meet them. I was in Vegas a few years ago wityh my husband and we were watching the gondolas, chatting away when the man next to us said I know where you from. His wife was getting out of gondola and came over to tqlk to us. She had lived in Castlemilk, the next close to my then boyfriend. I've had quite a few interesting meetings. Small world.

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 14th Feb 2010, 10:33pm
Post #19

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
Hello again, l just got off the phone with my sister, she told me that l had it wrong again! She used to live in Falling Waters W.Va. but she did travel to Frederick Maryland everyday for work. She told me that she lived about an hour and a half outside D.C.
I moved to Detroit in 1977, and that winter into 78 was the worst l can remember. We built the kids an igloo in the front yard in the January, it did'nt all completely melt away till the beginning of April.
I have come across many Scots in mine time here, like l said before l had a truck and would drive all over the 48.Mostly to auto plants, and that is where l met the most Scots. Then playing in a pipe band for almost all the time over here l met a lot there too, mostly spectators at the different Highland games
Foxy

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 18th Feb 2010, 12:02am
Post #20

Super Visitor
Hi Foxy, glad you finally found out where your sister was living!!! Hope you had better luck when you were trucking (tee hee)!!! Do you play the pipes? And, do you go to any of the highland games around here? Funny thing for me was that most of the people I met who were in pipe bands were "wannabe" Scots. Dated a Drum Major for awhile. Looked great in his kilt. Ah, that's a far distant memory.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 18th Feb 2010, 12:16am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (mrssnuffy @ 18th Feb 2010, 01:00am) *
... Funny thing for me was that most of the people I met who were in pipe bands were "wannabe" Scots.

Over the Border here in Basel, Switzerland, the have each year a massive big Pipe Band day with hundreds of bands. I think they actually call it The Basler Tattoo. I went one time with a German mate and couldn't wait to get chatting with some o' the big bagpipe players who all looked about as Hielan' as you can get.
Wrong rolleyes.gif
Not a Jock among them.
They were Swiss, they were German, they were Austrian to a man.
Still, it's nice to know that we have that effect on people all over the world. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 9th Dec 2010, 06:38pm
Post #22

Glad someone else remembers this game .....
Would love to know the history ?

+Quote Post
Glesga Geek
post 14th Sep 2011, 11:42am
Post #23

Visitor
Member No.: 10,803
I remember playing this game a lot in Primary school 30 + yeara ago !

we called it Moshie - I couldnt remember the exact rules - but I think it did vary like any game between pals. I googled it and came across this excellent description - but it does vary from the way we used to play it - but its close enough!
http://www.electricscotland.com/lifestyle/weekend9-3.htm

Also came across this amazing reference to Moshie or Hashie in the Glasgow Herald archives printed in 1946
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507...pg=2277,6020801

+Quote Post
delmet
post 31st Oct 2011, 12:41am
Post #24

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,040
QUOTE (big karen @ 10th Oct 2007, 07:16pm) *
Probably spelt it wrong but it was pronounced Mo-sh-ae...you dug three small holes in the tarmac out the back and you had to throw coins into the holes but you could also knock other coins away...can't remember exactly how it is played and so if anyone does can you let me know...jist so i can sleep the night..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.