Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> We Are The Boys And Girls, Of the ABC
betty2
post 19th Jun 2005, 12:20am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
We are the boys and girls well known as Minors of the ABC

An every Saturday all line up to see the films we love an shout aloud with glee

We love to laff an have a sing song

Such a happy crowd are we

We are the boys an girls well known as Minors of the ABC

Riders of death valley that was my favourite

Oh if I could turn back time rolleyes.gif

till here in glesca

--------------------
still here in glesca
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee mo
post 5th Dec 2005, 10:43pm
Post #2

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,515
Thanks Betty. You've solved a 40 year mystery for me. I remember singing that very song with glee as a child in the 60's but always wondered why we were the "miners" ABC.... I presumed it was due to the cinema being dark as a coalmine. Now I see.... minors.... duh! wub.gif

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 26th Mar 2007, 06:08am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Oh lol you stirred up a few memories there, I was a member of The abc Miners club at Muirend, The Toledo.Every Saturday morning off we would trot , my big brother would take me , ahem correction , was made to take me and we watched Batman and there was always an animal storyand a series as well but I cannot mind what it was.You could buy badges at the interval and one of them had a luminous edge which shone up in the dark and if you got one of them you were just the bees knees.I had forgotten all about the miners club, thanks for that one.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 26th Mar 2007, 12:59pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Oh lots of memories there, every Saturday morning at the Parade cinema in Dennistoun. Old mother Rilley must have seen it a dozen times. I remember a contest one time and my pal and I went up and sang. We won a choc bar. Those were the days.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
stratson
post 26th Mar 2007, 07:43pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Welcome Home Betty2.(know am off topic, just so good to see you back) biggrin.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 26th Mar 2007, 08:31pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Wow, did that ever ring a bell, now I will be humming/singing that tune for at least the rest of tonight wink.gif Heaven help the neighbours. biggrin.gif

GB

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 21st Oct 2010, 01:07pm
Post #7

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
Loved the Minors wae Uncle Mac at the Olympia.. Flash Gordon and Zorro.. and you couldnt wait fur next week.. I remember a lassie at my school Moira Kerr, a talented wee lassie that always did her turn at school plays then sang with a group at the interval in the Olympia.. smashing she was.. and now she writes songs and sings.. another talent from Brigton...

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 23rd Oct 2010, 12:21pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
Minors at the plaza at govan ming the merciless aw the cowboy pics man it was magic

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 23rd Oct 2010, 12:53pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (auldbutcher @ 23rd Oct 2010, 03:17pm) *
Minors at the plaza at govan ming the merciless aw the cowboy pics man it was magic

Sectarianism rears its ugly heid wance mair - I wis an Odeon Club boy- Amulree Street, Shettleston chapter an a had a luverly bunch o coconuts, two lovely black eyes an a bicycle built for two - aw fur thruppence auld money.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 27th Oct 2010, 05:59pm
Post #10

Lord Provost
we had an Uncle Sam at the Olympia at the break, god help that poor man.. the boos he got

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 28th Feb 2013, 07:37am
Post #11

Lord Provost
QUOTE (dizzybint @ 27th Oct 2010, 06:16pm) *
we had an Uncle Sam at the Olympia at the break, god help that poor man.. the boos he got

jist been thinkin and I think it wiz uncle Max, no Sam.... Ive been in the Olympia during its construction and redevelopment, what a place it is noo... so happy it wiznae tunred intae flats as first proposed.... and as some of us were on a project wae Clydegateway and Streetlevel, we got invites to the opening of the latest phase the Mediatheque.. a right Red Carpet night...felt like a toff...

+Quote Post
*Guvinjimm*
post 28th Feb 2013, 08:06am
Post #12

QUOTE (wee mo @ 5th Dec 2005, 11:00pm) *
Thanks Betty. You've solved a 40 year mystery for me. I remember singing that very song with glee as a child in the 60's but always wondered why we were the "miners" ABC.... I presumed it was due to the cinema being dark as a coalmine. Now I see.... minors.... duh! wub.gif

It was Minors of the A.B.C. You were a card carrying Minor until you reached a certain age, 12 or threabouts and you became a Monitor. Ner' missed a Seturday mornin in ra' Plaza in Govan.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 17th May 2013, 09:50am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
ABC minors 1963
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4wgcpik4FY...be_gdata_player

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 17th May 2013, 10:45am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
ABC Minors were a bunch o' wimps ! Shettleston kids went tae the Odeon Club. tongue.gif Attached Image

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.