Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

> Glasgow's Shipbuilding Legacy Attacked, Cunard dismisses workers as dishonest
GG
post 13th Feb 2011, 10:05pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A "deeply offensive" exhibition commissioned by cruise liner company Cunard has tarnished the legacy of the shipbuilding workers who built the QE2 in the 1960s, portraying them as unreliable and dishonest. The controversial display attacking the integrity of the workers at John Brown Shipbuilders, who together with others made the phrase 'Clyde-built' into an international byword for industrial excellence, can be found on Cunard's Italian-built liner, the Queen Victoria.

An un-named Scottish tourist who visited the exhibition during a cruise aboard the Victoria told the Sunday Post:
"We found the section about the QE2 very offensive and a terrible slur on [our] great shipbuilding heritage and workers on the Clyde and John Brown's in particular

Some of the statements were outrageous. They included 'Some yard workers were stealing the ship faster than she could be built' – Captain Robert Arnott, QE2's longest serving Master.

There was also a passage which read, 'There were two QE2s because so much of the original was squirreled ... the project was dogged not only by pilfering but by technical problems and industrial disputes within the dying Clyde shipbuilding industry ... it nearly bankrupted Cunard.

But what really angered us was the listing of dozens of items pilfered by one worker. To feature that so prominently was unnecessary. There was nothing there about the skill and dedication of a workforce which built the world's best ships."

Kevin Buchanan of the STUC has demanded an apology from British-American owned shipping which is based at in Southampton. Mr Buchanan said:
It would have been appropriate for Cunard to celebrate the unparalleled skills and craftsmanship of the Clyde shipbuilders who, in a hazardous and challenging environment, built wonderful ships like the QE2.

By choosing to dwell on isolated examples of dishonesty they undeservedly tarnish the reputations of the thousands of honest workers who built some of the best ships in the world.

Cunard should remove this deeply offensive exhibition immediately and apologise to those they have offended."

Clydebank and Milngavie MSP Des McNulty responded to the news of the exhibition by saying:
"The glamour of the QE2 and the other great liners built at John Brown’s reflected the outstanding craftsmanship of those who built them.

People chose to travel on the QE2 because it was the best – and it was the best because of those who built it.

It is very disappointing that this exhibition focuses on pilfering by the workforce when it should concentrate instead on the skills and artistry, the technical mastery which made the vessel what it was."

Representatives from Cunard have so far declined to respond.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- GG   Glasgow's Shipbuilding Legacy Attacked   13th Feb 2011, 10:05pm
- - GG   Some background video information: Birthday Tribu...   13th Feb 2011, 10:07pm
- - Jim D   Although, my granny had a soap dish which came off...   13th Feb 2011, 10:59pm
- - norrie123   It would have been better to have said nothing, th...   13th Feb 2011, 11:51pm
- - jamcat   Yes the best ships in the world were once built on...   14th Feb 2011, 12:36am
- - Old Sailor   Today I will emphasize the first word of my nom de...   14th Feb 2011, 02:01am
- - Oldsmiddy   I'm not surprised by Cunard's attitude, I...   14th Feb 2011, 06:18am
- - GG   As has been noted, many of the skilled craftsmen w...   14th Feb 2011, 08:51am
- - Ayeyuya   Anyone who new a Worker at the Yards knew , you co...   14th Feb 2011, 09:15am
- - tombro   Cunard have had nearly fifty years to make these a...   14th Feb 2011, 09:33am
- - greta   The reply to this is quite simple , just look at t...   14th Feb 2011, 10:44am
- - benny   Ah hid tae laugh at the comment that the QE 2 near...   14th Feb 2011, 11:48am
- - nippynell   Who the bloody hell do they think they are????? ...   14th Feb 2011, 12:56pm
- - Jupiter   Ive come to the conclusion reading this Cunard sto...   14th Feb 2011, 01:05pm
- - Bankie   I served most of my apprenticeship on the QE2 at C...   14th Feb 2011, 01:07pm
- - Jupiter   Bankie, a very interesting post fom an"inside...   14th Feb 2011, 01:16pm
|- - benny   QUOTE (Jupiter @ 14th Feb 2011, 01:54pm) ...   14th Feb 2011, 05:36pm
|- - Tommy Kennedy   QUOTE (benny @ 14th Feb 2011, 06:14pm) Sa...   14th Feb 2011, 06:02pm
- - Rab   My Uncle Tommy worked on the Queen Elizabeth and h...   14th Feb 2011, 05:17pm
- - *Bankie*   Unfortunately I cannot deny that there was some pi...   14th Feb 2011, 05:36pm
- - Tommy Kennedy   I was a boy who accompanied my father to watch the...   14th Feb 2011, 05:54pm
- - Heather   As I said on a previous thread, my husband also w...   14th Feb 2011, 06:27pm
- - Dylan   I knew a Carpet Fitter who carpeted his stairs wit...   14th Feb 2011, 06:53pm
- - GG   Another interested party, River City actress Barba...   14th Feb 2011, 09:56pm
- - *Tam*   I remember the story of a carpenter in John Brown...   14th Feb 2011, 10:04pm
- - Jupiter   Well Tommy, as its normally a surreptitious sort o...   14th Feb 2011, 10:39pm
- - Heather   In Post 24 is the old man actually saying his wage...   14th Feb 2011, 10:57pm
- - GG   Thanks, Heather, I think you are correct as the hi...   15th Feb 2011, 01:01am
- - TeeHeeHee   QUOTE I knew a Carpet Fitter who carpeted his stai...   15th Feb 2011, 01:04am
- - GG   THH, I think that's the crux of the problem wi...   15th Feb 2011, 01:19am
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.