Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Invasion Of Troon
tamhickey
post 10th Jun 2012, 05:43am
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
I am in the process of making a documentary about the people who put this trip together, where Glasgow taxi drivers give their time and effort to drive children with special needs and orphans down to Troon for the day and wondered if anyone has any memories of this and would like to be interviewed? This will be it's 67th year and just shows how wonderful the Glasgow public has been over the decades. My friend, Peter will present it as he has learning difficulties yet he has directed two films and is on the committee that makes it all possible. He has raised thousands of pounds over the years and is no stranger to a camera. Can't wait to get started on this, so even if you can't give an interview, tell me what your thoughts are on this? Thank you. P.S. it takes place on the 20th of this month, so please show your support to the children if you can.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 10th Jun 2012, 09:12am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Tam good luck with your venture.I speak to a man who is in his late 70s and he was a former Glasgow hack in the 60s-90s.I will find out if he can shed any light on it.Unfortunately I dont see him a lot but I will mention it to him.
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 10th Jun 2012, 04:10pm
Post #3

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
Hello Tam,
I remember back in the late 60s helping my Da with the trip to Troon. My Da was a taxi driver/owner in the late 60s all through the 70s
On the day of the trip we would go to Eastfield Homes on Maryhill Road and pick up 4 or 5 handicapped kids. The taxis would be all decorated in various themes, with streamers and ballons tied to everything.
While my Da drove l would be handing out sweeties and soda pop to our group of kids. When we got to Troon then the real fun began, races on the beach, if the weather was warm enough we would take the kids on piggyback into the water. You know some of the kids were severly crippled, but never did l hear a word of complaint.
I think that the trips in the early 60s were the best though, that was because the taxis then were mostly the old FX3s, the 3 door kind with the left side front door gone and a luggage compartment instead. Those older taxis had big sloping front fenders, and the decorating had more scope with a little imagination those wings could become horses, pulling a stage coach, or maybe dragons. I seem to remember that the Daily Record would be there too along with a photographer, they would run the story and pictures the following day, l wonder if they would have any of the stories in the archives?.
Anyhow Tam, good luck in your search, it's not much but l hope it helps,
Cheers
Foxy52

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 10th Jun 2012, 04:44pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Foxy that is a great wee post,very informative.You wouldnt know Eastpark home now it has been totally revamped! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 10th Jun 2012, 05:44pm
Post #5

Super Lord Provost
Hi Joop,
Thanks for correcting me, it was Eastpark Homes, Ah well, it was over 40 years ago.
Cheers
Foxy52

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 10th Jun 2012, 06:17pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Off topic a wee bit but it never fails to amaze me where our fellow Glaswegians pop up,Foxy.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 10th Jun 2012, 11:32pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
This reminds me of Corporation Transport's kindnesses, 'back in the day'.
I recall bus trips to Saltcoats and Ayr, for the day - and lavish Christmas Parties - where you came home with a carrier bag full of goodies, and all your insides bloated, from stuffing yourself silly lol

Its really good to hear the Taxi's still do it.

I understand the buses stopped doing it quite some time ago, now - but I may be mistaken.

Anyways, ... every success with your movie, and I hope you get loads of response.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 6th Apr 2013, 07:01am
Post #8

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
Many thanks to all of you. My wife and I had a really great time recording this film. All of the children were great fun, and the taxi drivers and volunteers were just astonishing. George Bowie the DJ came down to entertain the kids and we were so lucky with the weather, the sun shone all day.
It was really nice going through Glasgow, seeing people wave at the children, but when we got to Troon, I was in tears for them. In the nicest way possible. Thousands of people had lined the streets to wave them in and it was a really emotional moment to realise that these children had never been forgotten even after 67 years of running this trip.
We eventually changed the name of the film to "67...and counting" as no doubt they will go on from strength to strength thanks to the donations of all of us.
The film is complete, and if anyone is interested, make a wee note in your diary for May 2nd where it will be screened free of charge at John Wheatley College in Easterhouse.
I do hope some of you can make it along and see what goes on behind the scenes.

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 6th Apr 2013, 02:18pm
Post #9

Super Lord Provost
Hi Tam, If you get around to making DVDs of the trips, l would gladly buy one and pay for the shipping and costs,
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
Rab
post 6th Apr 2013, 05:11pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
Tam: Check out Photo No.1 on these Record archives.......

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish...amazing-1420558

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 6th Apr 2013, 05:36pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Did you read the ace reporter´s gaffe about the famous dance halls - the Alhambra and the Metropole? Priceless !

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 7th Apr 2013, 02:51am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Loved the pics of the Glasgow I remember......good luck with your film Tam!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.