Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bier Keller - Union Street, Union Street
GG
post 8th Dec 2008, 04:21pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Closed Glasgow pub starter topic for:

Bier Keller, Union Street under Central Station

Please discuss or tell us your memories of this former Glasgow bar here....

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Niteprowler
post 18th May 2015, 07:21am
Post #2

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,776
The Stoker Leishman Band Live At The Bier Keller Glasgow 1976.

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 29th May 2015, 09:57pm
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
6/- a pint for Lowenbrau.

That made a large hole in the paypacket awful quick.
Not that authentic as German Kellers go.

The staff used to order;
"Heh yoo, thurs nae bangin' yer gless oan the table ya mug yi".

Almost German you may be forgiven for thinking, but not quite. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post
**Andy**
post 7th May 2018, 09:25pm
Post #4

I was a barman in the Bier Keller from 1975 until it shut. Some great bands, good people and some real characters. I remember the Fri/Sat night "shelf-stacking". After each weekend we'd gather all the dregs from the tables. tip them into 2 stainless steel buckets and cover them in the cellar. Following Friday, we'd tip the contents into a barrel (had to be a Holsten lager barrel as that was air-fed so the pipe could be put back in the barrel). We'd then use that barrel to fill as many dimple glasses to the first mark with the mixture - we'd fill up to the second dimple with fresh lager and stack the shelves with these glasses. That was the way we dealt with the initial evening rush, topping the glasses to the top when the waitresses came with their orders. I remember one Sat regular coming up complaining that the beer "tasted funny" even after we poured her a new pint. After a couple of minutes, she suddenly laughed and said "I know what's up - there's no slops in it..."

Holsten was an evil beer - don't know what was in it but I do remember working behind the bar with my jeans rolled up to the knees. A few months in I bumped into the bar with my jeans and the legs broke off!

The bar closed at very short notice because the brewery did a stock-check and discovered that the bar was the equivalent of a bottle of whisky a day down - exactly the same amount of whisky that the chargehand was polishing off every day, even coming in on Sundays to drink when the bar was shut. Shame - for a student, it was a great place to work.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.