Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Braehead In Anti-terror Photo Row, Police cite terror laws over family photo
GG
post 16th Oct 2011, 08:30pm
Post #91

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Yes, Jupiter, it seems very unusual that so much public money is spent to handle public relations and yet they still do not have a functioning policy on how to effectively harness the power of social media. It's quite clear that the police online PR machine was caught napping in this incident, and has now over-reacted to try to compensate.

I read a comment on another site which kind of sums things up:
If the man is wrong he is just a clown and needs a good talking to. If the police are wrong, that is way more insidious. The truth needs to come out that's for sure.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Oct 2011, 11:30pm
Post #92

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (GG @ 16th Oct 2011, 08:34pm) *
Strathclyde Police's top PR man thrown out of hotel after row over 'fatty steak' http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish...22594998/

You really couldn't make this up!

GG.

Nor this:-

I worked back in Dec '63, as a temporary fill-in, as a waiter in the Lanarkshire House in Halfway Cambuslang where my mate was 2nd Chef. It had just opened that year I think and was the new place to go.
Bobby Shearer, of Rangers fame, and his wife were having steaks which I'd served them and his wife immediately complained about the steak. I said I'd have a word with the Chef (No. 1, an older English guy), went to the kitchen and, with my heart in my mouth, explained to the Chef that Bobby Shearer's wife was not happy with her steak maintaining it hadn't been cooked properly.
The Chef followed me to their table, picked the steak up from her plate and, with his hands, tore a piece off which he put into his mouth, closed his eyes as he chewed, and said to her, "This steak is perfect" then placed it back on her plate and returned to the kitchen having cleared the matter up.
Bobby Shearer stood up and demanded that his wife just shut up and follow him out (leaving the cost of the meal plus tip behind).

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 17th Oct 2011, 12:11am
Post #93

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
My mate and his wife were left red faced follwing an encounter with a Maitre D at a country club just outside the city.He had complained loudly to the waiter that the steak was tough.
The Maitre D eventually intervened and said with an air of authority,"Perhaps if madame was using the steak knife instead of the fish knife !Red faces all round!

+Quote Post
Harvey
post 17th Oct 2011, 11:31am
Post #94

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,377
I read this story today in a Brisbane, Qld newspaper. Security personnel and police are not always the smartest folk on the block.

A few years ago after the Glasgow airport bombing incident, a couple of policemen were questioning young male tourists taking photographs of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House.

You couldn't make it up. Put some men in uniform and it goes to their heid.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 17th Oct 2011, 03:08pm
Post #95

Mega City Key Holder
Harvey as an ex cop I take exception to your generalisation.I think it was police officers who took down the two terrorists at Glasgow Airport.As in any walk of life you will always find some who are not top kiddies.
So what about you Harvey?How do you earn your nourishment?
Joop rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
benny
post 17th Oct 2011, 07:32pm
Post #96

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 17th Oct 2011, 01:57am) *
My mate and his wife were left red faced follwing an encounter with a Maitre D at a country club just outside the city.He had complained loudly to the waiter that the steak was tough.
The Maitre D eventually intervened and said with an air of authority,"Perhaps if madame was using the steak knife instead of the fish knife !Red faces all round!

My Goad, whit a faux pas! That's oan a level wi drinkin Eldorado instead o Buckfast wi yer fish supper. Whit kinda people dae you associate wi, Joop?

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 17th Oct 2011, 08:33pm
Post #97

Mega City Key Holder
Benny,I agree,major faux pas.If that had been me I think I would have kept it tight.
Same place my wife ordered fillet steak well done.It came out and right off I saw it was a sirloin.
She was enjoying it ok and wasnt too bothered when I pointed it out to her.Again head waiter,"Everything ok sir?" "Yes except that fillet is a sirloin." Blind panic from him and profound apologies all round.
Meal on the house.
I seem to recall Eldorado done a nice tawny,ideal with fish.

+Quote Post
*Phil O'Sopher*
post 21st Oct 2011, 05:17pm
Post #98

I wonder what the security guard and cops get up to in their spare time.

+Quote Post
GG
post 21st Oct 2011, 08:41pm
Post #99

Administrator
Group Icon
Probably the same as most people, Phil O'Sopher (nice name)!

I don't think we should get too hung up on what they do as individuals though as, especially at the level of involvement in this incident, the guards and police appeared to be carrying out the rules and laws. Maybe, instead, we should be more concerned about what politicians do – or don't do – as it is they who make the laws, and they who should be able to legislate to change the rules of large corporations if these are found not to be in the public interest. I don't think we have any comment from any politician on the wider issues relating to this matter ... will need to re-check. Things seem to have went quiet very quickly!

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Shirley*
post 21st Oct 2011, 10:57pm
Post #100

Actually, the law on this is very clear. It is not illegal to take photographs of people in a public place. You don't need the subject's permission, and you don't have to be a journalist etc. Shopping centres can politely ask the public not to take photos, but it is not legally enforceable. That aside, the security guard should have used some common sense in this case.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 22nd Oct 2011, 09:05am
Post #101

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Shirley @ 22nd Oct 2011, 12:23am) *
Actually, the law on this is very clear. It is not illegal to take photographs of people in a public place. You don't need the subject's permission, and you don't have to be a journalist etc. Shopping centres can politely ask the public not to take photos, but it is not legally enforceable. That aside, the security guard should have used some common sense in this case.

Are you a lawyer by any chance Shirley smile.gif

I understand your point of view but, in law, are shopping centres public or private places ?

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
GG
post 29th Oct 2011, 11:57am
Post #102

Administrator
Group Icon
One interesting story related to this affair is published in the Cumbernauld News today. Interesting, in my opinion, because of the last paragraph:

[The Antonine Centre manger] added:
"Strathclyde Police say that it is best practice not to allow photography in the general fight against terrorism, but we basically just apply a common sense approach."

Does this information sit comfortably with the police statement earlier that:
"... When our officers became involved they did not confiscate any items, nor was Mr White questioned under counter terrorist legislation. It is wrong to suggest that the police spoke to Mr White because he claimed he had been photographing his daughter, or that officers made any reference to counter terror legislation. ..."

Issue of photography in Cumbernauld shopping centres examined
http://www.cumbernauld-news.co.uk/news/loc...mined_1_1930444

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 30th Oct 2011, 05:27pm
Post #103

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
From the newspaper report : "But he added: "We do however have a duty of care to protect our customers, tenants and staff from danger, as well as a duty to ensure that the Data Protection Act is observed."

Photographs taken for personal use are not within the scope of the Data Protection Act. It doesn't apply.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 30th Oct 2011, 05:30pm
Post #104

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
Karen added: "Strathclyde Police say that it is best practice not to allow photography in the general fight against terrorism, but we basically just apply a common sense approach."

Nothing wrong with common sense, but that's when it's sensible. Who determined it was "best practice" here? After the July 7th bombing, indeed after any such incident, it is common for the police to appeal to those in the vicinity who may have taken photographs to submit them as clues and evidence. How stupid is that?

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
GG
post 31st Oct 2011, 12:24am
Post #105

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 30th Oct 2011, 05:53pm) *
From the newspaper report : "But he added: "We do however have a duty of care to protect our customers, tenants and staff from danger, as well as a duty to ensure that the Data Protection Act is observed."

Photographs taken for personal use are not within the scope of the Data Protection Act. It doesn't apply.

Well spotted, Alex. I didn't notice that. And this is from the management who are supposed to instruct their security guards ... no wonder they get it wrong! In this context, when we consider the manager's next comment:

“Our staff have been trained to look for unusual photography, photography of shop fronts, of clearly unrelated children and of security and fire equipment.

“In such circumstances our staff will politely enquire as to the photographer’s reason for taking those pictures and our subsequent actions will depend upon the photographer’s response.’’

Then, presumably, if a customer/photographer was to tell him, or his staff, to mind their own business as the DP does not apply, he/they would call the police?

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.