Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which? Targets Irn-bru, Falkirk Wheel children’s adventure playground
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 12
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 25th Mar 2007, 06:23pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The UK's most powerful consumer organisation has singled out the famous Scottish soft drink, Irn-Bru, for heavy criticism in a report entitled "Dirty tricks used to push junk food to children". The report released last year, but only now picked up by the media, specifically names the AG Barr product under a subheading called "Play sets, toys and books", where the report states:
Food companies have also started to sponsor playgrounds. For example, the Falkirk Wheel, a canal history visitor centre, has the Irn-Bru Fun Factory Walk, a children’s adventure playground. Irn Bru is high in sugar – 33g per can.

The attack on Irn-Bru is also mentioned in a consumers' manifesto for the Scottish Parliament elections published by Which?. The document urges the Scottish Executive to do more in the area of child nutritional health, but highlights specifically Irn-Bru, because of its alleged damage to children's diet and teeth.

The report states:
"We consider it inappropriate that Irn-Bru should be involved in sponsoring the Falkirk Wheel with its 'Irn-Bru Fun Factory and Walk', in which children slide through giant Irn-Bru cans. And the recent Irn-Bru Snowman advert clearly targets young children in an irresponsible manner as the standard Irn-Bru contains 33g of sugar per can, and the cartoon advert is clearly designed to appeal to the younger viewer."

Julia Clarke, Which?'s policy officer for Scotland, said:
"Scotland has such as dreadful record on diet and dentistry and we think that promotion of fizzy and sugary drinks to children is a problem. We're not saying that no one should ever drink Irn-Bru. But they shouldn't be advertising it to children, especially not at a time when we are trying to change the Scottish diet and dental record for the better."

However, Glasgow Tory MSP Bill Aitken, said:
"Clearly Scotland's other national drink has caused great offence. This is completely over the top. I think we are all now getting a little bit fed up of people telling them what to do. Children sometimes should be treated as adults and it's up to parents to look after their kids and not for meddlers, even if it is with the best of intentions."

A spokesman for AG Barr hit back saying:
A spokeswoman for Irn-Bru said: "The area at Falkirk Wheel was originally developed more than five years ago to support the attraction. Its organisers wanted to create an interactive area for families, and with our financial contribution they were able to do so.

Far from being a marketing ploy, we genuinely wanted to provide support where it was needed. Our partnership with the Wheel ended a number of years ago. Attitudes have changed substantially in recent times and as a company we currently do not and would not invest in activity that could be seen to directly market towards children.

Our 'Phenomenal' Christmas advert was absolutely not designed to target children. It was created to celebrate Christmas and Scotland.

The campaign has a sense of humour which appealed across the generations but particularly to adults, and the media scheduling reflected this - we never showed the ad during a children's show."

Rate this story now...

GG.

The attached photograph shows the Irn-Bru playpark at The Falkirk Wheel.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 25th Mar 2007, 06:46pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
...the Christmas Irn-Bru advert:

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 25th Mar 2007, 08:22pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
any soft drink damages the teeth that is fizzy not just the irn bru a just think its a jobsworth having a go at the irn bru as other firms make a not so good copy and it was a send up of the snowman Ifeel but people will drink what they want to drink no matter what is said
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 25th Mar 2007, 08:34pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
laugh.gif laugh.gif Which magazine gie us peace to drink our irn bru we luv it

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 26th Mar 2007, 01:07am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
huh.gif How sad this has occurred towards an national & international Glasgow Icon,for goodness sakes theres Diet IrnBru out there as a non sugary alternative leave IrnBru our other national drink alone! for goodness sakes more bossy boots Governments & dieticians going on about something they have no control over,Hacking at these companys wont help the child & their teeth but promotions of healthy teeth cleaning will! I raised my babies to hold a tooth brush & I would play along with them as a game at brushing our teeth after food & drinks which indeed had an excellent effect on them,theyve brushed there wee gums even before they had teeth! my kids teeth are fine specimens so white clean & healthy they also use mouthwash x2daily so lets shift the focus onto dentistry & perhaps cut down dentistry costs a bitty so folk can help there kids with their teeth health & hygene its very simple to do it from the begining.My Kids are glad as adults that much emphasis & focus was placed towards their tth as I oftentimes said these teeth are to last a lot of years so clean them!!! rolleyes.gif IRN BRU Is still drunk by my 21 & 19yr old & their neither overweight nor got ugly decayed teeth & good on Irn Bru for their contributions towards a xmas add to entertain all & be thankfull that kids have a playgroung provided to them courtesey of Barrs!

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 26th Mar 2007, 03:09am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Why single out Irn bru?There is sugar in just about every product on the the supermarket shelves if you read the label.As Linda pointed out , if you teach your children to use a toothbrush and look after their teeth, limit the amount of sugary snacks and drinks they have in a day , it wont make all their teeth rot and their weight balloon uncontrollably.It's like everything else , a little of what you fancy will do you no harm.
A wee message to Which magazine."G wa an bile yer heid, yer talkin mince".

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 26th Mar 2007, 06:16am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
just checked the back of a can of soft drink from thre supermarket Per 100mls there is 14 .7 gms of suger, in irn bru per 100mls there is 10.5gms.So YABOO! Which magazine pick on sumthin else like Pepsi or Coke.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
marina
post 26th Mar 2007, 06:50am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
as long as things are in moderation i dont see a problem, when mu husband travels down south every week they stop for a roll and a coffee and he says nearly all the english truckers sit in and eat a massive fry with chips at 7am no wonder you never see a skinny trucker, oh can someone tell me if its the same guy who does CUCKOO in the irn bru ad that played dadda in the tv drama lillies?

--------------------
Slinte mhor a h-uile l a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 26th Mar 2007, 10:11am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
ph34r.gif I consider it inconsiderate of Julia Clarke from G & the others whom sit behind a desk as masked Gossips whom provoke shame & Intentionaly promote embarrasssment towards national icons such as barrs IrnBru & other major icon companies,If the correct money & Budgets were available & was spent in the Health systems such as,Hospital,Dentalcare ie education & Government advertising campaigns,for the pre&post natal & school agegroups up to highschool yrs there would indeed be a marked improvement for todays children healthwise & Dentalwise.

The areas of,Dental wellbeing & inner/outer health/hygene training is both a Government & parental Issue.The promotions of activity play areas are also a councill budget issue also,yet National & International icons such as Barrs IrnBru The other national drink owners are more than willing to promote healthy wellbeing for children & provide them the need of activity playgrounds for the maintanaince of a healthy active lifestyle wether or not they do or do not drink IrnBru,that apparatus is available to all the kids ,Good on Barrs I believe the only targeting barrs are doing is in the promotion of action & healthy exercise,Thankyou Barrs,If it is only for the small price of an advertisement you stretch your profit to reach the little Kids,then so be it,It is a good thing you provide them when proper authorities do not provide nearly enough of anything for the kids of todays .

why cant Barrs whom whilst with their own legitimate desire to support Kids,why cant they themselves gain some advertising which isnt free since (they pay cash for playgrounds to be built!)!thus their provision to kids & themselves becoming an understandable solution to many problems induced by Governing councills whom do not pay out from their budgets for the Citys kids nearly enough. play areas are a need which in fact contribute & support kids overall in there wellbeing. Do not hassle & cajole nor Blame Barrs for the Governing bodies deficits. What Blameshifting banditts you all are ph34r.gif YEH! I agree go on & pick on companies such as Ribena whom has been proven recently to have been doing much false advertising towards the public regarding Vitamin c content in certain Ribena drinks (a drink so often given to babies),they claim Ribenas vitamin C content as being higher than any Orange juice. LIES!

How many Babies do you know out there whos mummy gives their child Ribena believing it is a healthy vitamin c packed drink with more vitamin c than orange juice ,Tonights news here in OZ has proven via some school students may I add,that certain Ribena drinks contain less vitamin c than orange juices,so they have falsly advertised their product as a healthy drink when it is not!
Better still Governing bodies & health departments & city councils take a long look at your own selves! .GO IRNBRU! Bring it Pennydainty Girl !Bring It!

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
baskabar
post 26th Mar 2007, 05:45pm
Post #10

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,922
I've been drinking Irn-Bru for 7 Decades,leave well alone or there will be a MURDER mad.gif

--------------------
My advice and/or opinions: are frequently wrong and may be hazardous to health and/or property; are my own, and in no way represent my employer, friends or family; and may be illegal and/or immoral in some countries!

+Quote Post
valleyboy38
post 26th Mar 2007, 05:57pm
Post #11

Lord Provost
Member No.: 219
a wee ditty fae the advert featuring bar bru and sandy. Im very thisty and your thisty to so heres a drink for you an me its BARRS IRN BRU.

+Quote Post
marina
post 26th Mar 2007, 06:19pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
my son was practically rared on the stuff and we all love it, he had a bowel problem as a toddler and this was what i was told to give him if he would take it and by god did he take it, my husband also did some of the building at there new factory,

IRN BRU IS HERE TO STAY

--------------------
Slinte mhor a h-uile l a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
baskabar
post 26th Mar 2007, 06:26pm
Post #13

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,922
Well Said Marina,The faceless,interfering desk drivers have gone too far this time,next they will ban the Forfar in our Bridies mad.gif

--------------------
My advice and/or opinions: are frequently wrong and may be hazardous to health and/or property; are my own, and in no way represent my employer, friends or family; and may be illegal and/or immoral in some countries!

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 26th Mar 2007, 09:02pm
Post #14

City Key Holder
Member No.: 318
If they stop making Irn Bru, Ah'm no' coming back tae Scotland! It's been one of the few constants o' my past that has endured. Ah love the stufffff! Mind, ye's aw hiv tae promise me yer recycling they cans....... tongue.gif Ah loved the ad too. Thought it was pure dead brilliant and clivver. Some folk need tae get a life! Catherine, dae ye think Ah'd fit doon that slide thing-y at Falkirk? huh.gif Widnae get stuck hauf way wid ah? Wid love a wee shot at it...comin'? Isobel...you too? Toerag? Anybiddy else?

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
maggie hen
post 26th Mar 2007, 09:08pm
Post #15

Special Visitor
Member No.: 2,899
Hi,We as a family have been drinking stuff for year's,and it hasnt done anything to our teeth,My son who is 15 loves it,BARRS IRN BRU will always be special as when the 1st Gulf war was on my husband wrote to them and all the guys and lassie sent him a big parcel,It was in Evening times 16yrs ago about it.The amount of english friends i have that drink it and love it,more so on sunday morning after having a wee drink on saturday night(haha)its a great hangover cure.xxx

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.