Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> City Centre Compared To War Zone, Cheap drink ruining city's reputation?
GG
post 13th Feb 2010, 01:04pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
In a move that is likely to have members of the city's marketing board ducking for cover, the newly-appointed chair of the Glasgow Restaurateurs Association (GRA) has said that Glasgow city centre at the weekend resembles a war zone, rather than the hub of European café culture claimed by the city's promoters.

Ryan James, the proprietor of the Two Fat Ladies chain of restaurants, compared the weekly mayhem in Glasgow city centre with the mood of Picasso's famous painting of Guernica (see below), a war-torn city destroyed by German bombers during the Spanish Civil War. Mr James claimed the comparison was appropriate because of the "gangs of drunken youths" bringing disorder to city centre streets, scaring tourists and locals alike with their antisocial behaviour.

Mr James, whose organisation represents 76 restaurants in the city, said that the problem was caused by the widespread availability of cheap drink sold by local shops and supermarkets, ensuring that young people were already 'blootered' well before they even attempted to enter a licensed premises. The chair of the GRA also said that he fully supported proposals to limit the availability of cheap drink through the minimum pricing scheme advocated by the Scottish Government.

Speaking the week after police said that they would start a programme of trial deployment of controversial Taser stun guns in the city centre, Mr James said:
"In Glasgow on a Saturday night you’d think you were in Guernica, and not part of the European café culture society. Young people turn up drunk because they’ve bought ridiculously cheap alcohol in shops and supermarkets and consumed it before coming in to town.

Gangs of drunken youths rampaging through the streets is putting off not only tourists but also local people from coming into town to eat in a restaurant.

They see policemen in high-visibility vests patrolling the streets, and though this may be a comfort to locals, it can be alarming for tourists who feel an unpleasant incident is imminent.

This is simply unacceptable, especially in the run-up to the Commonwealth Games in 2014 when it will become one of the biggest conference centres in the UK, if not Europe.

The source of the problem is the retailers. Shops and supermarkets are being allowed to continue with special offers on alcohol when publicans and restaurateurs cannot. We’re allowing people to get so off their faces they don’t know what they’re doing. For this reason I would support the introduction of a minimum price for alcohol."

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 13th Feb 2010, 01:48pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
So James thinks the people of Glasgow suffer as much at weekends as the people of Guernica suffered . ?

What an idiot.!!!

Glasgow is no worse than many other Cities in the UK.

This pearl of wisdom from him will do his Restaurants and Glasgow no good.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 13th Feb 2010, 02:20pm
Post #3

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
I have been up to Glasgow about 6 times in the past year. When my wife have been out and about looking for something to eat we usually go around the Byres Road area or into the City Centre. I am writing this as a 'tourist'.

In my opinion most of the restaurants have been badly affected by the recession rather than any anti-social considerations. We have often ate in places that have very few diners - really not sustainable for a business. For example my wife and I ate at 'The Two Fat Ladies' in Dumbarton Rd - it was lunchtime and we were the only people in - more staff than punters. Throughout the UK the pub and restaurant business is in real crisis - due to the recession.

I don't believe in state intervention into minimum alcohol prices - there is enough tax and VAT. However, the supermarkets should ask themselves the question over who really drinks those huge bottles of cheap cider - they are the worst offenders when it comes to the units of alcohol per £. But I doubt very much if those types of folk are the sort to frequent places like the Two Fat ladies.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 13th Feb 2010, 02:42pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
A minimum price on alchohol is nothing more than a tax on the poor..

Two Fat Ladies will have Two Fewer customers. !

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 13th Feb 2010, 03:34pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
In Sweden, in my days there ('84, '85) a pint of beer was four pounds fifty compared to about 50 pence in Germany. The idea was that with the higher prices (bottle of brandy was about 80 quid) excessive alcohol consume would be reduced.
Every home which I visited had it's own wee still. Anything which could be reduced to alcohol was used to make some form of hooch. We would be invited purely to see how one still was better than the other.
But booze could not be bought in supermarkets at all.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 13th Feb 2010, 03:42pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
No more price hikes on drink, its just another tax on social drinkers
I do agree that something has to be done about young folk geting access to drink
Up the age limit? ID? upping the age limit hits the young folk who are responsible drinkers
I dont have any answers

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
stratson
post 13th Feb 2010, 04:42pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Am never in town at night therefore cannot make fair comment. Any knowledge is hearsay and comments such as your poster Ryan James. Have a neighbour who is a bus driver and he has told me it's bad at night coping with drunk passengers.

In my day worked as conductress on trolleybus, the saturday night the 108 service(I think, memory is poor) I never collected a busfare, we used to call it "the wine special.
Seems no change their. rolleyes.gif

Re. restaurants perhaps they are too expensive.!

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 13th Feb 2010, 06:51pm
Post #8

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
For goodness sake, I live in a very well to do part of Surrey but we suffer from drunken youth syndrome on a Friday and Saturday night, believe me, as do many other parts of the country.

I am looking forward to my next visit to Glasgow and a visit to my favourite restaurant, Cafe Gandolfi.

It is so bl***y annoying.

GQ

+Quote Post
elso
post 13th Feb 2010, 06:55pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,459
QUOTE (stratson @ 13th Feb 2010, 04:40pm) *
Am never in town at night therefore cannot make fair comment. Any knowledge is hearsay and comments such as your poster Ryan James. Have a neighbour who is a bus driver and he has told me it's bad at night coping with drunk passengers.

In my day worked as conductress on trolleybus, the saturday night the 108 service(I think, memory is poor) I never collected a busfare, we used to call it "the wine special.
Seems no change their. rolleyes.gif

Re. restaurants perhaps they are too expensive.!
Or maybe the smoking ban has never helped,the restaurant that we have been going to for the last x amount of years says their bookings have halved since March 06 and they have even started closing their shop at lunch times,and this is in the city centre!

+Quote Post
Tam blair
post 13th Feb 2010, 08:32pm
Post #10

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,005
So Mr James wants publicans and eating establishments the right to sell cheap booze. Not really bothered about the problem, just the profits. Time he looked at cities world wide, the same problems exist even where the booze is dearer. Wake up Mr James and look for solutions out side of your comfort zone,the answer is not let me do the same as others or I may not make enough money. GET REAL.

--------------------
Ozzie down under

+Quote Post
patsy
post 13th Feb 2010, 10:16pm
Post #11

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,898
Stratson, did they trolly bus you worked on, go straight up Royston Road to the terminus, change the lines and go back again. If it was, where did it begin it's journey. Just wonderd!

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 14th Feb 2010, 06:07am
Post #12

I dont see how upping the age limit would help Im 33 and get stopped in the supermarket for buying a bottle of malt whiskey along with £60 worth of food shopping like some teenager! I dont like going into the town now for a night out, its far too stressfull especially later at night when everyone seems to be totally paraletic! You cant go out on a night out now and relax and I hate it when my 15 year old daughter goes out to the under 18's too at the weekend in Glasgow City Centre because of all the neds hanging about getting drunk and wanting to fight with people especially the girls who are the worst! Im a girl lol I know what girls can be like when they are drunk!

I dont think the original topic was a fair comparison but something definitely needs to be done! Its down to off licences and anywhere basically selling alchohol to under age or very young adults who shouldnt been out drinking in the town! Sometimes though the "adults" can be just as bad!

I think there should be a drink limit system where you go out and the first pub or resuraunt you buy alcohol in that night gives you a card and everytime you have a drink you get it stamped according to the strength of the alcohol and you only get so many spaces to use up in the one night!

Once your card is full no more drink for the rest of that night and if you have no card then you dont get any alcohol! People out on a night out need to learn to drink alcohol responsibly which is the problem, that and the ressecion too! It doesnt matter if they put the prices up theres always going to be some other way to get cheap alcohol and its unfair to everyone else who does watch what they are doing and doesnt overdo it!

We can all do what we want in our own homes but am sure every one of us have at one point, drunk far too much and done something stupid, felt ill and regretted it the next day or said they will never have a drink again! However there are cases where people wake up in jail having attacked or stabbed someone or done something a lot more dangerous than others.

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 14th Feb 2010, 09:48am
Post #13

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
I think Mr James is just annoyed that people are buying their booze in the Supermarkets at a decent price instead of paying the horrendous prices charged by Pubs and Restaurants in the town centre. It's starting to get to the state where you are hard pressed to find a pint for under £3.50, (unless you go to Wetherspoons) get real Mr James, if you want people to use your Restaurant chain then stop charging like a wounded Rhino, and people might start eating out again.

+Quote Post
**Glesga Keelie**
post 14th Feb 2010, 10:09am
Post #14

I am a regular visitor to the city centre and I haven't seen any violence in the town for years or maybe I am just lucky. Sauchiehall Street near Charing Cross on a Saturday night has a certain buzz about it and is on par with most European cities where young people congregate. Yes Mr James let's have a price limit on beers of say £2.00 and I am sure more people will frequent your establishments if they they weren't getting ripped off as they currently feel in most city restaurants.

By the way most neds are into 'bunging' stuff up their nose rather than ramming liquid down their gullet so you are way off there in so far as the drinking habits of the ned culture of the city.

+Quote Post
*nigey*
post 14th Feb 2010, 10:15am
Post #15

"City centres have become the 'Domain of the Young'.

Paula Fass: American Sociologist 1980

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.