Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The La Scala, Sauchiehall Street
GovanWumin
post 5th Jun 2005, 01:36am
Post #1

Resident
Member No.: 1,694
I huv great memories of the La Scala on Sauchiehall Street.

My Da, rest his soul, was the projectionist there .

I mind sitting in a big stool looking through the wee window down intae the Cinema.

The big velvet curtains swinging open and the Pathe News Reels comin on wi yon Rooster givin it cockadoodledo.

The reels huvin tae be changed and ma Da liftin me up tae help me click something or other tae make the reels switch oer so the film wid keep going. I wiz wee though but a mind like it like it wiz yisterday.

A alwiz got an Orange Drink afay the Woman wi the tray and a wee tub a ice cream. The usherettes wid let me play wi their torches..haha...bliss so it wiz . I loved going tae the pictures. wub.gif

GW

This post has been edited by GovanWumin: 5th Jun 2005, 10:10am
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wee Annie
post 12th Mar 2006, 06:33pm
Post #2

Settling In
Member No.: 2,951
Hello Govan Wumin I just read your post about helping your dad at the La Scala ,it was just great . I hope you dont mind but it was your name that jumped out at me { Govan Wumin ] my screen name is Govan-nite. But I am getting off the subject. If you are a Govan Wunin do you rember the Vogue & the Wee Elder { I think thats what it was called}we called it the flee Elder ,had some of the best times their . Then there was the Lycume { hope thats the way its spelled } there was an other one but I just cant remember the name . It was up near the Copland Rd {seinor moment } And the ushers name was Margaret she wore her hair pulled back in a bun. Boy your wee message brought back a lot of great memories and if you are from Govan or anyone elce out their from Govan heres a great big hello from Wee Annie from Neathan St

--------------------
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner...................was you

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 12th Mar 2006, 07:03pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Hi Wee Annie,
Was that picture hoose called the "Mosspark", right behind was Craigton Cemetery. I lived all around Kinning Park, Tradeston etc. but I knew ma way roon Govan, those were the days! wink.gif

+Quote Post
lizeeloo
post 12th Mar 2006, 08:26pm
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,209
Hello you Govanites. I'm fae Govan too.

Spent many a Saturday Matinee at the Lyceum and the Flee Pit Elder.
Then there was the Plaza at Govan Cross.
I know there was one a bit further along , near Summertown Rd I think which is going toward Copeland Rd...I think... memory vague on that one.
Can't remember the name of it. George you might remember that one....

After matinee we would head on out to get rolls from a bakery at Govan Cross. Jacks rolls. Two for a penny. Ate them dry..nae butter biggrin.gif

And the La Scala....where my first big heart throb took me..

lizee

--------------------
lizee

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 13th Mar 2006, 12:27am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
I've just finished having an enjoyable few moments reading about the movie houses in Govan.

Wee Annie, you mentioned " there was an other one but I just cant remember the name . It was up near the Copland Rd ". I think this would have been the Plaza at Govan Cross, as mentioned by Lizeeloo. I don't recall a movie theatre near Summerton Rd. Aside from the Plaza, the nearest to Summerton Rd. would have been the "Lorne" at the tramcar barns.

George, that's a great picture of the Mosspark, on the south side of the Paisley Rd. I remember it well. I don't recall there being a wall in front of it though, but I do recall there was fish & chip shop right beside the theatre. I don't think the cemetery behind the Mosspark was the Craigton Cemetery, which lies between Berryknowes and Barfillan Dr. on the north side of the Paisley Rd. I'm not sure of the cemetery behind the Mosspark, but it could have been called the Corkerhill Cemetery as it is in an area we use to call "Corkerhill".

Lizeeloo, it must have been a long time ago when you were getting rolls at two for a penny! I can taste them now, great treat!

Cheers, Dugald.

+Quote Post
Wee Annie
post 13th Mar 2006, 02:35am
Post #6

Settling In
Member No.: 2,951
Thanks to you George,Lizeeloo & Dugald for sharing your thoughs and memories of the Picture houses in Govan , my but didn't we have fun then. They really were the good old days . The Lyceum was across from St Anthonys and the Plaza was going towards the Copland Rd. Dugald it is so funny that you mentioned Corkerhill I was listing to Fats Domino to-day singing Blueberry Hill and was putting Corkhill in its place ,we moved from Govan up to Corkerhill when I was maby 11 but moved back to Govan a few years later . Lizeeloo I do remember the rolls but do you remember the chip factory up near the Vogue we would go up there and for a penny we would get a bag of broken chips{ you know the wee bits at the bottom of the chip bag } and they tasted so good . Well this has been a smashing walk down memory lane for me .Thanks again to all Wee Annie biggrin.gif

--------------------
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner...................was you

+Quote Post
davyab44
post 13th Mar 2006, 05:24am
Post #7

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
Hi Dugald & George, I may be all wet here but was that perhaps Cardonald cemetery? Thats where our family plot is.

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 13th Mar 2006, 06:10am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
HI Davy,
You beat me to it,
Correct!! {Cardonald Cemetery,}thats where my Parents are buried,

HI Folks, I also remember all the picture house's in Govan I lived in Linthouse for 5 years, walked to Govan all the time 10 min walk,
But cannae remember the broken chips, Wee Annie, also Cockerhill brings back a lot of memories, ,
Used to go to Dewar's Dance Classes on a Saturday Afternoon,at Mosspark, anyone remember them
What I hear Govan is more or less a Ghost Town, now, but there is talk of trying to restore Govan,
Sad because it was a great Place, sad.gif

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 13th Mar 2006, 09:09am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
There are a couple of good sites on Glasgow Cinemas which have been referred to before on Glasgow Guide.

Glasgow Cinemas

and

Cinemas and Theatres

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 13th Mar 2006, 12:33pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks for all the nostalgia folks, really enjoyed reading them. It makes sense that the cemetery behind the Mosspark is called "Mosspark Cemetery" now, as it really is located in Mosspark. ( but i wonder if it was ever called the "Corkerhill Cemetery"?)This area around here was always a bit 'swanky' to us real Govan types.

Annie Laurie, I went to Dewer's studio once, and it was on a Sunday afternoon. I couldn't have enjoyed it, as I never went back to it. Surprised you didn't mention the Vogue cinema since that would have been the nearest one to Linthouse. You're right about Govan being a ghost town; they have some great palns for it, but as far as I know they are still 'planning'.
Cheers, Dugald.

+Quote Post
lizeeloo
post 13th Mar 2006, 12:58pm
Post #11

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,209
A friend sent this link to me a couple of years ago and I enjoyed it so much that I keep in my bookmarks.

A woman's walk from Copeland Rd Subway right out to Elderpark.

It brought back a lot of memories for me.
Thought you Govanites might like a walk down memory lane with her.
http://www.sunnygovan.com/Features/RT/walk007.html

lizee
p.s music is a bit annoying keep it low.....

about that other cinema...I am sure there was an old one somewhere on Govan Rd. I was never in it. Somehow the names Hoey Street and Summertown Rd stick in my mind with it ??

Dugald..the rolls at 2 for a penny were the ones they couldnae sell....all mishapen and maybe a wee bit burnt laugh.gif
We could also get the same deal at another bakery on Broomloan Rd near Govan Rd end. They also had mutant Paris buns for a hapenny now and again.

Wee annie... I don't remember the chip factory....maybe I'm a wee bit before your time.. lol....or perhaps I have just forgotten it. I do remember getting broken chip bits from the chippies though. My Mum worked in one at the bottom of Neptune St and also one in Copeland Rd, near Merryland St I think.

--------------------
lizee

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 13th Mar 2006, 02:49pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
My goodness last time I was in the Mosspark ,was when I was home in early 70s the movie wait for it .... The Last Tangoe in Paris . Hey I never ever Tangoed like that !!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 13th Mar 2006, 06:25pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Lizeeloo, I went for a walk through Govan along with Marion Campbell, and enjoyed every step of it... and shared many of her feelings, as well as some of my own.

I knew my way around that part of Govan quite well, and I never recall a cinema being near Hoey Street and Summertown Rd., except for the one already mentioned, that is, the 'Plaza'.

You know Lizeeloo, the Jack's bakery where you picked up the "two for a penny" rolls at Govan Cross, use to be located on the Langlands Rd. opposite the Hills Trust School. I was only in this one once, and that was 65 years ago tonight... the night the Germans bombed the Clydeside!

cheers, dugald

+Quote Post
sumac
post 17th Oct 2006, 11:47am
Post #14

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
The La Scala was where I went on my very first date, to see The Italian Job with Michael Caine. We went upstairs to the balcony, back row (of course!) and had a wonderful night. It was a few years before I got to see the whole film, though! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
stratson
post 17th Oct 2006, 07:58pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
I recall a picture house in Govan called the Lyceum.

Now am going back at least 40 years.

As am not too familiar with the area all I can say is was on the

main road going towards Govan Cross.

Something in my brain is telling me it became THE VOGUE bingo hall.

wub.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.