Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dirty Films
serabash
post 26th Aug 2013, 01:57pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
I always thought the cinema you are calling the grand central was called the classic grand where did I get that from? was there a cinema by that name?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 26th Aug 2013, 02:17pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Hi sera it's the same place. I think it depends when you grew up in Glasgow. I think it's back to being called the Classic Grand again. Not sure though.

+Quote Post
Ruchazie Rat
post 26th Aug 2013, 02:33pm
Post #18

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,702
Here`s something that`ll clear things up. And expand your horizons. Curtesy of hiddenglasgow

And yes -- as well as The Classic Grand down in Jamaica St, there was also a Classic, (the one I mentioned) up in, (sorry about the street-name error), Renfield St!

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 26th Aug 2013, 04:41pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
As I say, the one in Renfield Street was a perfectly respectable cinema in my day. The Tatler bit seems to have been an addition, once it went multi-screen. Still can't recall the name of the one along from the Locarno- it had a coffee bar upstairs. All my reminiscences are late 50s to mid-60s.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 26th Aug 2013, 04:55pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
QUOTE (Ruchazie Rat @ 26th Aug 2013, 02:31pm) *
Here`s something that`ll clear things up. And expand your horizons. Curtesy of hiddenglasgow

And yes -- as well as The Classic Grand down in Jamaica St, there was also a Classic, (the one I mentioned) up in, (sorry about the street-name error), Renfield St!

That link was an excellent read. Cheers. I particularly liked the following quote from someone who lived opposite the Tatler.." Occaisionally there would be the 'I'M HERE TO WATCH pron AND I DONT CARE WHO KNOWS IT' guy, who would flamboyantly march up to the entrance, produce a box of hankies and rip the doors off their hinges. Interestingly, there was never a queue.....God knows what the films were like, lots of moustaches, wigs, overalls and giant pants probably"
laugh.gif
It would be interesting to know what all of these buildings are used for now. The Classic Grand, as already stated, is a music venue. But what of the others?

+Quote Post
serabash
post 26th Aug 2013, 04:58pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 26th Aug 2013, 04:39pm) *
As I say, the one in Renfield Street was a perfectly respectable cinema in my day. The Tatler bit seems to have been an addition, once it went multi-screen. Still can't recall the name of the one along from the Locarno- it had a coffee bar upstairs. All my reminiscences are late 50s to mid-60s.

was it the la scala bilbo?

+Quote Post
Elma
post 26th Aug 2013, 04:58pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
We used to go to the Classic on Renfield Street to see the News and Cartoons, my favourite was Tom and Jerry!! It was only an hour in total and afterwards we would go to the Cafeteria downstairs. It seemed huge at the time, we used to sit on the high stools at the counter in the corner and had a hamburger and coke, thought we were very 'american'. laugh.gif This was between 1953 and 59, sorry to hear it changed so much afterwards.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 26th Aug 2013, 05:08pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Elma, it´s a wonder we never met ! Round about 58 & 59 I used to play truant a lot and I would go to the cafeteria from 9 until 10, then watch the cartoons twice over until 12, have a bite to eat and go to the Odeon or La Scala etc until it was time to go home. What a hard day at school ! My teenage rebel days, I fear!

A few years later I still used the cafeteria, and if I was staying in town for the evening I would have a shave in the loos, where they hired out Philishaves.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 26th Aug 2013, 07:39pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (Ruchazie Rat @ 26th Aug 2013, 02:31pm) *

I posted on this subject to the site you linked to. I have copied and pasted it to here ...

"Back in the late 70's I was manager of James Grants furniture store in Jamaica street. Next door to the store was an adult cinema which I recall being called the Grand. It was incredibly seedy and we used to get a laugh watching guys shuffling about outside until they found the courage to dash into the cinema, naturally of course neither me or any of my staff would have dreamt of entering such an establishment !! hmmm"

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Ruchazie Rat
post 27th Aug 2013, 12:49pm
Post #25

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,702
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 26th Aug 2013, 04:39pm) *

QUOTE (serabash @ 26th Aug 2013, 04:56pm) *

That`s where Waterstone`s the multi-level bookstore now is, (if its` still open), up in Sauchiehall St, just opposite Marks & Spencers.

I recall, back in the late 70`s, they "plexed" it up into several smaller halls to compete with what the ABC had done just along the road, ("plexing" 2 halls into 5).

In The La Scala`s case, the makeover was ****ing rubbish.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 28th Aug 2013, 01:18pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (serabash @ 26th Aug 2013, 05:56pm) *

No, Sera. This was almost at Charing X, past the Locarno.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 28th Aug 2013, 01:44pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 28th Aug 2013, 02:16pm) *
No, Sera. This was almost at Charing X, past the Locarno.

Heading West or East from the Locarno? If East there was a smallish cinema as you turned left on one of the side streets that may have been called the Curzon or Cosmo I remember my wife/girlfriend at that time dragging me to see a colour film about pregnancy and child birth, as I recall in the week the film was on there were quite a few men fainted during the show laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 28th Aug 2013, 02:18pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Dave, I remember that film and the report of some the men who saw it all fainting. laugh.gif

I went to see it when I was pregnant with my son and I could not figure out what was frightening about it to cause men to faint.
My husband survived it without fainting.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 29th Aug 2013, 09:20am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 28th Aug 2013, 02:42pm) *
Heading West or East from the Locarno? If East there was a smallish cinema as you turned left on one of the side streets that may have been called the Curzon or Cosmo I remember my wife/girlfriend at that time dragging me to see a colour film about pregnancy and child birth, as I recall in the week the film was on there were quite a few men fainted during the show laugh.gif

Dave, The Cosmo ( now Glasgow Film Theatre) was in Rose Street. The one I mean was between the Locarno and Charing X - could have been the Classic, perhaps the Curzon later on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
serabash
post 29th Aug 2013, 10:17am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
what about the gaumont?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.