Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Dr. Who Another Scotshman
Ruchazie Rat
post 6th Aug 2013, 01:39pm
Post #16

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,702
sad.gif
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 4th Aug 2013, 08:38pm) *
I bet he isn't allowed to use his own Glasgow accent, like David Tennant before him he'll have to soften it up and Anglicize it for delicate Home Counties ears.

Hard to believe he is the same age as William Hartnell (my favourite Doctor) was when he started playing the Doctor, hopefully he will bring a maturity to the show that's been sadly missing.

Oh well, back to the Tardis.

Absolutely spot on. A better example of Anglicization I`ve yet to see. Though all previous four incarnations had some degree of “Englishness”, it was never more so nakedly blatant with Davison`s arrival. Though I believe it didn`t start out that way. The “costume” was arrived at thru some Peeble Mill At One/Blue Peter stagemangaged PR bullshit with civvies calling in suggestions. But producer John Nathan-Turner admitted he`d “borrowed” the image from an episode of All Creatures Great & Small he worked on, where Davison was one of the three leads, with an episode where the three vets play cricket.

JNT ran that show into the ground thru the 80`s with repeated miscasting. Also, proper writers got junked and flunkies brought in. Russell T. Davis` resurrected show`s nothing more than a cribbage of that embarrassing era, mated with his own idiosyncractic backlog (kids` shows like Childrens` Ward and his own personal touchy-feely leftie leanings expressed in shows like Queer As Folk).

There`s a clear demarcation in Who`s history. "Proper" Who ends when T Baker left. The current slop has more in common with Who post-Baker than pre-Davison.

Since the current “revival” (post 2005) is a mainstay in the EBC`s Saturday night Zombie schedules, and has garnered good ratings, there will only be a change of faces. The same style of fickle bland namby-pamby storytelling drivel of the past umpteen years will lumber on relentless. For those hoping for a return to “proper” who... sorry, you are living in a world of denial. Too bad about Peter Capaldi. Great choice. But he`ll be kept on a very very tight leash.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 6th Aug 2013, 02:01pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
I don't think there is anything wrong with a little softening of the accent if it's very broad. The show does have to appeal to a very wide audience and it saves them putting up subtitles!!! However, none of the previous Scots have had very broad accents so I don't know what they were thinking.

I've had to slow down a bit when speaking to 'foreigners' but they've had to do the same for me.

If they avoid cybermen and the blasted daleks, I'll be happy enough. Fed up with them and brought back if they can't think of better/new baddies.

I think my favourite was Tom Baker and I hated Matt Smith when he started but he grew on me.

Dr Who is a complex, highly intelligent, caring, quirky character - so of course they've chosen Scots.

+Quote Post
Ruchazie Rat
post 6th Aug 2013, 03:55pm
Post #18

City Key Holder
They seem to do nothing but live off the back of former glories. You can bet your ass the Cybermen and Daleks will be wheeled out during Capaldi`s first season. They were dragged out last season. Plus the Ice warriors. The Weeping Angels. The Great Intelligence. UNIT. Need I go on?

Oh yes, the Zygons, a great one-off Tom Baker nemesis, (1st story of his 2nd season) are being dragged out for the 50th anniversary. Can`t they do justice with something original? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Ruchazie Rat
post 7th Aug 2013, 03:12pm
Post #19

City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 5th Aug 2013, 07:13am) *
As do i PF, but i know they won't, they refused Dunoon born Sylvester McCoy's request to allow his incarnation of the Doctor to be allowed to wear a tartan scarf giving him the reason "why would a Time Lord wear a tartan scarf old boy?", whereas they had no problem with Peter Davidson portraying his Doctor as a Cricket loving Time Lord who wore a cricket jacket an waxed lyrical about seeing W.G. Grace playing, which begged the question, "Why would a Time Lord have a obsessive fixation on a bat and ball game that only has a limited Worldwide appeal in England and a handful of former colonies?

I think we all know the answer to that.

He wore his tartan scarf in his first (dreadful) story "Time & The Rani". But, when the EBC heirarchy (South-East bloc) clocked the PR photos, word came down from on high to "get shot of it".

]Attached Image

+Quote Post
wombat
post 2nd Sep 2013, 08:13pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (Dylan @ 5th Aug 2013, 08:00am) *
In a minority of one, again .

I have never seen a single episode of Dr. Who.!!

tongue.gif believe me you didn't miss much pal. it was and still is a loada crap yes.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 2nd Sep 2013, 08:34pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
"believe me you didn't miss much pal. it was and still is a loada crap"

Shame on you!

This is culture for the higher echelons of intellect; for those who are above the grimy plebeian pleasures of the common man.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 2nd Sep 2013, 08:39pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Oh, OK then.
It's a programme for kids and some of us 'almost' adults enjoy it too.
What's wrong with a bit of fun?

+Quote Post
wombat
post 2nd Sep 2013, 10:43pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
cool.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post 2nd Sep 2013, 10:44pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
tongue.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 2nd Sep 2013, 11:08pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Ach I like Dr Who, even though at times I wonder why biggrin.gif

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.