Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weir's Way
weementor
post 23rd Oct 2004, 10:02am
Post #1

Super Resident
Member No.: 41

Weir's Way
ONE of the unsung hits of night-time television is Weir's Way, made more than 30 years ago for Scottish Television, with hillwalker Tom's bobble-hat, dodgy jumpers, beacon-like hooter and no-nonsense delivery a beguiling draw to insomniacs, students, and late-home drinkers alike.
Edinburgh music group Aberfeldy recently composed a song about Tom which then led to a spirited debate with the audience about whether Tom is still alive he is, aged 90 and living in a retirement home.
One website poster yesterday described Tom as "making unemployment a pleasure". However, devotees of the show claim that Scottish Television does not pay any repeat fees to Tom for the show.
The Justice for Tom campaign can surely not be far away.

Any views aboot his travels

--------------------
weementor......Neilston Village, Scotland
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
anne
post 23rd Oct 2004, 10:26am
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 35
Wee Mentor, I remember this show it was delightful and glad to hear he is still alive.

Anne Perth Aussieland cool.gif

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 23rd Oct 2004, 02:30pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Dave. Greetings from a late son of the Royal Burgh up the road!. Yes, Toms travels made great TV watching. Never missed his programme. I remember a particular show when he climbed, I think, The Cobbler with a blind man. This guy was so clever, he almost left Tom behind!. Tom is a relation of one of my old school pals. I was a fanatical youth hosteller in the 50s and I'm sure I must have passed him somewhere along the road. Thanks for the memory. smile.gif Rab.

+Quote Post
flim
post 23rd Oct 2004, 03:04pm
Post #4

Resident
Member No.: 1,315
He also had a famous sister Molly i believe they came from Springburn the north of Glasgow,i'm almost certain he took the love of Hillwaking because he did not stay too far away from The Campsie's Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Heather
post 23rd Oct 2004, 10:36pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Tom's sister Molly Weir was quite famous in Glasgow and they did indeed come from Springburn.
She was in some radio shows The Lyons Family, and The McFlannells. She had some minor parts in some TV shows.

She was also an Author. I don't remember how many books she wrote but I remember reading one called: ' Shoes were for Sunday'.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
flim
post 24th Oct 2004, 09:30am
Post #6

Resident
Member No.: 1,315
Hi Heather I believe she was also the fastest typing girl in Britain at one time,so many letters per minute Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
GG
post 24th Oct 2004, 11:41am
Post #7

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Molly Weir
1920 -

Stage, screen, radio and television character actress and author. Born in Glasgow, sister of broadcaster and naturalist Tom Weir (b.1914), Weir began as a shorthand typist in an office in the city. Characterised by her energy and small frame, she came to prominence during World War II, as Tattie Macintosh in the BBC Radio comedy It's that Man Again (1939-49), better known by its acronym ITMA, with Tommy Handley. She went on to play Ivy McTweed in The McFlannels and Aggie in Life with the Lyons (1954). She contributed regularly to Woman's Hour and was a writer and performer on Children's Hour. Her television appearances included another children's programme, Rentaghost (1976) and Flowers of the Forest (1996). Film roles include relatively minor roles in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) based on Muriel Spark's book, Carry on Regardless (1961), Hands of the Ripper (1971), One of our Dinosaurs is Missing (1976).

She was also a popular public speaker, newspaper columnist and her memoirs run to eight volumes. Weir now lives in Pinner, near London.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 24th Oct 2004, 11:44am
Post #8

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Thomas (Tom) Weir
1914 -

Broadcaster, climber, author and naturalist. Born in Springburn (Glasgow), the brother of actress Molly Weir (b. 1920). Weir worked in a shop, before serving in the Royal Artillery during World War II. After the war he worked briefly as a surveyor for the British national mapping agency the Ordnance Survey, before making a profession of writing. His books described his international climbing exploits and his views on environmental issues. His books include Highland Days (1948) and Weir has been a regular contributor to the famous Scots Magazine, published by Dundee-based D.C. Thomson. From 1976, he hosted the Scottish Television (STV) series Weir's Way, in which he travels around Scotland exploring its landscapes, natural history and meeting the people. Repeated almost thirty years later, this series still attracted large audiences.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Davie
post 24th Oct 2004, 12:02pm
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,484
Yer right aboot us Alkies.
I am too posh to be a drunk.
I could name every mountain Tom Weir ever climbed and name every sheep he passed on his wee traipses.
Wee Baaarbaara frae the trossachs was paricularly attractive.
Every wan o ma drunken pals is the same.
Wake up at 03:50 oot o' a drunken' stooper any morn o' the week an' there was the wee fella.
Usually followed by a completely uncomprehensive (tae this Weegie onywey) programme in Gaelic.
The fact that it was presented by Cathy McDonald? meant it was worth leaving on.
Unfortunately, these wee spots have been taken over by mincing chefs and punters getting hoose makeovers.

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 14th Dec 2008, 06:02pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
Was Molly Weir the girl who used to say CAN I DO YOU NOW SIR? to Tommy Handley I used to listen to that programme during the war I can't remember what night it was on I liked the old Radio days, do they still print the Radio Tmes?

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 29th Dec 2008, 07:19pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Well it certainly looks like Molly

Se wrote a book about The ITMA years in 1976.

They still print The Radio Times

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 29th Dec 2008, 07:34pm
Post #12

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
I believe Molly Weir died in 2004 aged 94 or so. I recall she was a staunch and quite right wing tory supporter especially in the 80's/90's. I was never a fan. For those following the 'I love Lulu' thread I put the two of them in the same pot.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.