Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Gegie The Scum The Scotia Picture Halls, where were they located
shugsharkey2
post 4th Jun 2004, 11:08am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,105
wub.gif these cinemas does any one remember their locations and what they were like inside the gegie the scum the scotia

--------------------
raymyhill2
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 4th Jun 2004, 11:39pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
The Scotia was in Millerston Street which ran between Duke Street and Gallowgate. I was only there once as a kid and I remember thinking that the seats were lumpy.

I am afraid the others are not cinemas with which I am familiar and they are so unusually named that I am sure I would have remembered them.

Regards,

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 4th Jun 2004, 11:46pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
If I remember right, the gegie was the EEs in Eglinton Street huh.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 7th May 2007, 12:57pm
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
From Scobie by PM:
the scotia was infact on millerston street in denistoun, myself and my wee pals all went to it, sixpence to get in,and we were always ushered down to the front of the cinema by the wee manager. i never did see to the end of the picture as being glesga weans we all got excited when war or cowboy films were on the screen we were shooting at the bad guys and in turn the wee manager would eject us out the the building, bearing in mind we were about 8 years old, great days.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 10th May 2007, 11:42pm
Post #5

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
Like George Muir, I too recall going to the EEs in Eglington St..
Cowboys and Indians,Roy Rogers,Gene Autrey. Boy what a racket we
put up when the "baddies" were about to pounce on the "goodies". We would aw scream..."hey behind ye,behindye." This always took place at
Saturday afternoon matinees. No telly then. Wonderful memories.

+Quote Post
Aman
post 22nd Oct 2007, 07:46pm
Post #6

Resident
Member No.: 4,554
The Geggie I remember was in Kilpatrick street in Bridgeton just off London Road. I think it's official name was 'The Premier'!!
Many's the Saturday I ran along Avenue street slappin' ma backside like I was on a horse either catching or being caught by the Indians.
I'd get home a lot faster that way, except of course when the horse got tired!!

I also remember the Scotia in Millerston Street, mainly for the fact that the railway ran almost underneath it. It gave great special effects and vibrations when the trains went past.

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 25th Oct 2007, 10:32pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
There was another ramshackle picture house in Pollokshaws road, or perhaps it was Victoria road? We called it the "Coffin", but the real name was the "Crosshill". Sometimes you couldn't hear the show due to the fact that it was situated right next to the railway line, just like the "Scotia".

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 26th Oct 2007, 12:18am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
There was a picture house just off Victoria Road George and it was on the other side of the road from the railway, had completely forgotten about it till you mentioned it .I seem to remember going there for a birthday party, well we saw a film and then we got picked up and taken out for ice cream .It was on a one way street , I remember cause Mrs.Davis took us down the wrong way and everyone was honking their horns.Jings where did that come from, regular wee Pandoras box inside ma wee heid laugh.gif

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
*Hugh McInally*
post 2nd Nov 2007, 07:21pm
Post #9

The Geggie was in Kirkpatrick Street, off the London Road. I lived in Bernard Street between 1947 and 1954 and it was my 'local' cinema. My favourite Saturday matinee was Flash Gordon, which was recently shown on T.V. Brought back a few memories, I can tell you!

+Quote Post
*Thom Connolly*
post 13th Jul 2008, 05:48pm
Post #10

The Scum cinema was located in Tollcross next to Tollcross Park, I believe it was on Wellshot road which ran perpindicular to Tollcross road near th old Co-op. It's formal name was Greens Playhouse not to be confused with the cinema of the same name in the city center. Once entering the building, The "Scum" nickname was quite apparent, quite indicative of the attitude towards the working class. They did give the kids value for money though, 2 full length films and a serial ala Flash Gordon etc.

+Quote Post
jock
post 16th Jul 2008, 06:20am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Does anyone remember the Electric picture house (known as the 'wee lecky') which was located on Maryhill Rd. close to St. Georges Cross? Cost tuppence to get in for the double feature westerns.
You had to sit on long wooden benches and were squeezed tight by the usher if the place was busy! This was in the late 1940's.

+Quote Post
*ROBERT A. MACKAY*
post 28th Nov 2008, 02:30am
Post #12

Yes Iremember the Eectrc Picture House at George's cross, i memory serves me right there was a second hand furniture shop, Th Castle Vault Pub, the Electric and the Bank of Scotland (which I still use) it's all a bit different now

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 21st Oct 2010, 01:03pm
Post #13

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
The Geggie "The Premiere Cinema" to the toffs.. was as someone said in Kilpatrick st, there were auld toilets there out on the street a pub and bookies facing the door.. I went there often, it was bedlam, the noise in it if it was a kissy bit, they aw booed and threw stuff.. ah goat thrown out for laughin so much at Wee Georgie.. with Bill Travers.. whit a place that wiz.. who remembers the hauf lion next to the sweetie shop in the foyer.. noo why. whit is a hauf lion got to do with anything.. took photos of it recently as the building is still standing.. The Kings in James st was bit of a dump too.. always smelly of the lavvies that ran over.. and they wid come round scooting you with disinfectant .. charmin eh.... Believe it or not.. Laurel and Hardy and Edward G Robinson all made appearances on the Kings stage, why Ill never know as the Olympia was such a lovely picture hall compared to this one..

+Quote Post
jackd
post 17th Jan 2011, 12:43pm
Post #14

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,919
The Geggie, was probably part of a cinema chain. I remember as a kid, a mate of mine had a wee summer holiday job, transferring film cans between the Geggie and the 'wee Royal' in Main street. I lived round the corner in Avenue street, the Geggie backed on to our back court. At the time I lived there, the lion was probably alive and in one piece, running about the African plains.
By the way the Geggie was also, forever scooshing disinfectant. It wiz great when they stopped usin' D.D.T.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 24th Jan 2011, 08:55am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
I think this has been posted before but then again what hasn't?

Glasgow Cinemas

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.