Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seamore Cinema Maryhill, Does anyone else remember it?
Dimairt
post 28th May 2009, 10:07pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
I just got this from E-bay. It's the Seamore Cinema on Maryhill Rd at the junction with North Woodside Rd and Hopehill Rd. It was a regular venue for us in the '50s and '60s - the others being the Blythswood just up the Maryhill Rd and The Astoria on Possil Rd.

I live near here now and pass the site most days. Does anyone else remember it? No stories about jam jars please!

Le durachd,
Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
championi26
post 28th May 2009, 10:51pm
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,968
I remember going to see snow white there....used to visiyt my uncle every weekend at 273 maryhill rd..

+Quote Post
michael67
post 6th Mar 2016, 07:27pm
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 29,114
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 28th May 2009, 10:15pm) *
I just got this from E-bay. It's the Seamore Cinema on Maryhill Rd at the junction with North Woodside Rd and Hopehill Rd. It was a regular venue for us in the '50s and '60s - the others being the Blythswood just up the Maryhill Rd and The Astoria on Possil Rd.

I live near here now and pass the site most days. Does anyone else remember it? No stories about jam jars please!

Le durachd,
Eddy

The last time i was in the Seamore was 1954 and the film showing was the Joe Louis Story this was April 1954 the reason I know was, buried my granny the day before, watched the Jolson story there also.

Do you remember the big organ in the Seamore, THE ONE UNDER THE STAGE. not what some will be thinking about. When I was wee they sometimes had variety acts on as well this was in the forties
Michael McQuaid

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Mar 2016, 03:20pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
In the mid to late fifties I used to go to it with my bigger older older cousin James Simpson who lived with his family in a nearby street.

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
rainbowchaser
post 28th Jun 2016, 06:34pm
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,504
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 28th May 2009, 11:07pm) *

Le durachd,
Eddy

I can date the above picture for you from my book ‘What We Watched In The 1960s’ which shows that the double bill of “Cinderfella” with a reissue of “Lucky Jim” played at the Seamore from Thursday 20 April to Saturday 22 April 1961. I was only ever in the Seamore once to see “Help” on Friday 27th August 1965 (details taken from that book again) and I treated myself to the balcony which I was glad I did as it seemed a bit rowdy downstairs – and when Paul McCartney made his first entrance, girls actually screamed. “Help” was pretty bad though apart from the music and the b movie “Mozambique” was almost unwatchable which is probably why I never bothered returning there, preferring the Blythswood or the Vogue in Possilpark.

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 28th Jun 2016, 07:46pm
Post #6

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
used to go to the seamore on a regular basis. The seamore, the blythswood, the star, the roxy, the rio and the wee douglas in milngavie. Actually more or less met my wife there. she, sheena west and ruth broadley were there when tommy Mccaw and i started talking to them. Tommy had a crush on Ruth. Loved all the picture houses on the maryhill road.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 29th Jun 2016, 11:58am
Post #7

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
I've very happy memories of going to the Blythswood on Saturday matinees in the 1950s with my wee sister and my best pal Sandra Lennie. Sandra lived in Doncaster Street and we lived in Hinshaw Street. We sometimes went to the Seamore, depending what "picture" was showing.

How easy it was to please kids in those days. We got our pocket money which was enough to get us in and we could buy either a bar of chocolate or a bar of highland toffee. The toffee was best as it lasted as long as the film! A big part of our childhood in Maryhill on Saturdays.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
rainbowchaser
post 10th Jul 2016, 04:44pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,504
I loved the Blythswood. The very first time I dogged school I ended up in the Blythswood seeing 'Dr No' and when I was going out with my girlfriend in 1969, we used to go to the city cinemas which were pricey at 3/6 for the Odeon and ABC 1. One night when there was nothing on in town we fancied, I noticed 'Carry On Cleo' was at the Blythswood so we took a 61 and got to the Blythswood and what was great was not only the admission price of 1/9, but the fact we could buy penny liquorices and fruit sticks at the sweet stand. 'Infamy, infamy - they've all got it infamy'

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.