Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

274 Pages V  « < 263 264 265 266 267 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 3 V
ashfield
post 30th Mar 2019, 01:10pm
Post #3961

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I’ve just been watching a rerun of a long version of Monty Pythons dead parrot sketch. Oh wait, apparently I’m watching the parliament channel eyebrow.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 1st Apr 2019, 01:49am
Post #3962

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884

"If they force us to fight a second referendum we'll beat them by a bigger margin than last time... We can be free!!"

- Nigel Farage, 29th March 2019

"They lied to us. They bullied us. They deceived us. They won't get away with that again... Freedom!!"

- Tommy Sheridan, 19th September 2015

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 1st Apr 2019, 08:04am
Post #3963

Mega City Key Holder
Sorry, but I’m not clear on the point of you posting quotes from these two irrelevant characters.

Except, of course, it being all fools day rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 1st Apr 2019, 04:50pm
Post #3964

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 1st Apr 2019, 08:04am) *
two irrelevant characters

You couldn't be clearer. wink.gif

Our democracy is taking a hammering at the moment, but it does steer us clear of particular pitfalls.

Our current Prime and First Ministers may be proven losers, but those clammering for the "freedoms" in question should be very careful what they wish for.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 1st Apr 2019, 07:13pm
Post #3965

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 1st Apr 2019, 05:50pm) *
You couldn't be clearer. wink.gif
but those clammering for the "freedoms" in question should be very careful what they wish for.

laugh.gif WHY? they ca

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 1st Apr 2019, 07:27pm
Post #3966

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (wombat @ 1st Apr 2019, 07:13pm) *
laugh.gif WHY? they cant make up their mind either laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 3rd Apr 2019, 05:24pm
Post #3967

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 27th Mar 2019, 10:22am) *
Yes i am, who voted Thatcher in and kept her in power all those years?

I'll give you a clue, it wasn't Scottish nationalists. wink.gif

What an amazing statement to make. Of course Scot Nats didn’t vote for Margaret Thatcher. The Scot Nats wouldn’t have voted for any Tory, thought you would have known that without stating the obvious. The part I queried was you saying it was the Brit Nats who were responsible for her becoming Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. As you know she served more than one Premiership, indeed she served for more than 11 years, after the results of General Elections. Some people in Scotland must have voted for her, after all. Moreover, I personally know several people who voted for her, and they were not Tories.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 7th Apr 2019, 09:40pm
Post #3968

Mega City Key Holder
No sooner did FM Sturgeon voice her concern this week that (surprise, surprise) the SNP and therefore everyone in Scotland we're being ignored in last-ditch negotiations between PM May and Labour leader Corbyn, when the House of Commons voted by a majority of a single vote to force the PM into requesting an extension to Article 50 to avoid a no-deal Brexit. I was glad to see our FM proven wrong, if only just.

The UK parliament is now overruling its PM on a frequent basis in relation to Brexit, as the rest of us watch on in a mixture of bemusement and excitement.

This week is the latest in which a deadline is looming. By Friday Brexit may actually happen, or not. So many outcomes are possible. Here's the one my hopes are on...

• PM May sticks to her guns and the nation braces itself for a no-deal Brexit so that she can tell Leave supporters that she is delivering Brexit
  • In full knowledge that MPs won't vote for that
  • Corbyn demands a second referendum as the only way to avoid a hard Tory Brexit thereby appealing to the sensible majority who oppose no-deal
  • PM May reluctantly accepts
  • The EU grants an extension to allow for another referendum
  • The public votes by over 60% to completely revoke article 50 and ultimately remain
  • FM Sturgeon is forced to resign by reasonably admitting that all prospect of another Scottish independence referendum is gone for a generation

Wishful thinking? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 8th Apr 2019, 11:03am
Post #3969

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
What would be the referendum [or should I say people's vote] question be?

As for Wee Nicola, I suspect she agrees with Eck, The dream will never die.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 9th Apr 2019, 11:44am
Post #3970

Mega City Key Holder
I don't think we can have another one until a Political solution is reached meaning either a deal or no deal. There has to be an end point to the negotiations - who wants another 12 months of this? agree.gif

So without adversely splitting the vote for either side, the re-run should again be binary: the deal/no-deal vs remain. I'm now of the opinion that the original vote in 2016 was close enough to merit a confirmatory referendum and I imagine that would be as close a contest as the last one, for which both the Leave and Remain camps would probably accept a 50.001% margin of victory.

What do you think?

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 9th Apr 2019, 12:13pm
Post #3971

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Remainers want a re-run because they are certain [probably rightly] that the public have been
frightened enough by all the scare stories.I remain baffled as to what kind of Union would
apparently deny us access to medicines!
If Scotland has a second referendum I doubt the Selfie Queen would accept a narrow defeat.
Incidentaly despite the experience of brexit the Nats still think Scexit will be a walk in the park,the westminster govt they have been attacking for years will be expected to give them everything they
demand.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 9th Apr 2019, 03:00pm
Post #3972

Mega City Key Holder
This is why I have to commend FM Sturgeon for pushing so forcefully against Brexit when leaving the EU would give her good cause and chance of holding and winning a second indyref.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 15th Apr 2019, 09:19am
Post #3973

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
It never ceases to amaze me that the SNP don’t want to be told what to do by the British government yet are quite happy, nay blissful at being ruled by a Parliament whose members we know nothing about, who tell us how to run our country, our borders, and for me the bigger issue, our laws!

I am not, and have never been a fan of the SNP, there is no single issue which I can ever imagine my arm being twisted or persuaded enough to vote for them.

We had a referendum, the people spoke, end of story.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 15th Apr 2019, 02:32pm
Post #3974

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 15th Apr 2019, 10:19am) *
It never ceases to amaze me that the SNP don’t want to be told what to do by the British government yet are quite happy, nay blissful at being ruled by a Parliament whose members we know nothing about, who tell us how to run our country, our borders, and for me the bigger issue, our laws!

I am not, and have never been a fan of the SNP, there is no single issue which I can ever imagine my arm being twisted or persuaded enough to vote for them.

We had a referendum, the people spoke, end of story.

You are entitled to vote for who ever you want to, that’s your prerogative. What you feel for the SNP, I feel for the Tories. Even if hell froze over I would not countenance voting for a party that has so little regard for those in society who are poor or lack the skills to manage their lives. That aside, please spare us the guff in you first paragraph about the operation of the EU parliament and not making our own laws.

For anyone not clear on the process (again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCQYEN9Imrc

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 16th Apr 2019, 09:47am
Post #3975

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (carmella @ 3rd Apr 2019, 05:24pm) *
Some people in Scotland must have voted for her, after all. Moreover, I personally know several people who voted for her, and they were not Tories.

I have never said no one in Scotland ever voted for Thatchers Tories, i knew some who did, why would you try to make out that i said i did?

+Quote Post

274 Pages V  « < 263 264 265 266 267 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Jun 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.