Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

94 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coronovirus?, How it spreads!
carmella
post 26th Feb 2020, 11:50am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Perhaps my thoughts are a bit off the wall, but here goes.

This virus started life in China as we all know. However, here’s the thing. It has now spread far and wide we assume by human contact in the vicinity of it.

I wondered with China exporting world wide in massive quantities, how do we know this virus has not been transported to the rest of us, when being packed by people in China who may have had the virus before symptoms appeared or, through businesses large and small who sell on Ebay?

Just a thought, or do the rest of you think this unlikely?

Hmmmmmm!

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zascot
post 26th Feb 2020, 12:58pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Don`t pop the bubble wrap. The air inside comes from China. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 26th Feb 2020, 01:48pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
We have a friend of my daughter staying with us at the moment.
She works in China as an English teacher and was in SA when the latest virus broke out.
She has been stuck here ever since as the airline have cancelled all flights.
Yesterday she was told she can go back next week.
A 13 hour flight to Hong Kong a 5 hour layover at the airport a 3 hour flight to Shanghai and because she lives close to the province that is infected the flights into her province are also stopped so its a 5 train journey.
Dont know what she earns but it must be worth it.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 26th Feb 2020, 04:32pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Oh my Dave what a time of it. I actually think foreign workers in China are quite well paid, plus I don’t imagine the cost of living for westerners is high.

Regardless, that is not a journey I would want, with the train part being the exception laugh.gif

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 26th Feb 2020, 05:32pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Apparently its a high speed bullet train on top of it. The part she's not looking forward to is the cross city trip from airport to train station with two suitcases.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 26th Feb 2020, 07:55pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Oh she must be fit, that would be too much for me these days!

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 26th Feb 2020, 10:27pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (carmella @ 26th Feb 2020, 11:50am) *
Perhaps my thoughts are a bit off the wall, but here goes.

This virus started life in China as we all know. However, here’s the thing. It has now spread far and wide we assume by human contact in the vicinity of it.

I wondered with China exporting world wide in massive quantities, how do we know this virus has not been transported to the rest of us, when being packed by people in China who may have had the virus before symptoms appeared or, through businesses large and small who sell on Ebay?

Just a thought, or do the rest of you think this unlikely?

Hmmmmmm!

Carmella, your thoughts are not off the wall. The effect of the Coronavirus, is now being felt by the financial sectors across the world. Such is the world’s dependence on China for our non-food products, that the halt on Chinese exports worldwide has sent the stock markets plummeting.

It has also had an affect on the travel industry. Airlines must be very worried.

Could we be on the road to a return to 1928?

I wonder if this will result in return of manufacturing to the UK?

Danny

+Quote Post
carmella
post 26th Feb 2020, 11:27pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Only time will tell, Danny. You know when stocks and shares are involved, the Markets are really concerned. I think many businesses will be suffering.

As for your last point, wouldn’t it be wonderful if manufacturing did indeed return to these shores, giving the jobs to our people. Alas, I can’t see it though.

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 27th Feb 2020, 11:24am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
My daughter told me this morning if she could get a job in China at the same rate as her friend she would be off like a shot leaving me to look after her daughter.
lol

+Quote Post
carmella
post 27th Feb 2020, 11:44am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Oh now there’s an idea LoL. It might be cheaper for you, nah you would miss her too much.

Watching the news this morning, and despite all the countries affected now, we have been told not to change travel plans, and perhaps we have been scared with all we’ve heard.

I’m not easily scared, however, I am not a gambler so I don’t think I would take a chance.

This is rapidly becoming a pandemic, and each country will deal with it in a different way. Some better than others.

I certainly think public gatherings should be cancelled. They are saying too this could go on for yeas. Gosh, I hope not?

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
taurus
post 27th Feb 2020, 08:40pm
Post #11

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
the big supermarkets here are limiting hand cleansers 2 per customer. Well that`s the Dettol variety, I couldn`t believe the shelf was bare yesterday,but I still bought the other handwipes,made in China !! I hope for the best.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 27th Feb 2020, 09:47pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
No cases in Scotland yet, hope it stays that way.

I have a thing about germs so I’m constantly using hand gel, particularly when I’m out.

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
taurus
post 28th Feb 2020, 02:40am
Post #13

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
we are the same Carmella,escalators,public toilet doors,we`re a bit OCD regarding that. Our 2 big supermarkets have hand cleaner dispensers,which I use to clean the trolley handle every time. I have only ever seen one young woman do it in the 3 years we`ve lived in this suburb. I was so pleased to think that someone else would be thinking along the same lines as me I went over and spoke to her. According to the news this morning the experts are saying every one in the world can expect to get it. I hope that`s just media beat up.
we are soon going in to winter,flu season anyway,so I imagine the doctor`s will be packed out this year with everyone panicking even if it`s just a cold.They say it`s to do with the Chinese eating wild animals,we see them on Border Security getting the bags searched and bringing in some weird and horrible stuff in the name of medicine.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 28th Feb 2020, 08:13am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Well taurus there’s a thing I have never seen hand sanitiser at out sipermarkets. Just a detail that would help over here too.

Unless I have my gloves on, or it is summer time, I won’t touch anything without using the sanitiser!

Good point thumbup.gif

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 28th Feb 2020, 08:31am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 28th Feb 2020, 10:13am) *
Well taurus there’s a thing I have never seen hand sanitiser at out sipermarkets. Just a detail that would help over here too.

Unless I have my gloves on, or it is summer time, I won’t touch anything without using the sanitiser!

Good point thumbup.gif

Have it here at all the bigger supermarkets. but then Taurus and I live on backward continents. unlike the ultra modern UK
tongue.gif

+Quote Post

94 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd Jun 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.