Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paisley Regal Cinema & The Abc Minors, End of an era for Paisley cinema
GG
post 16th Jan 2009, 09:15pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A forthcoming demolition in Paisley High Street will signal the end of a great era for many present and former Paisley 'Buddies'. The old Paisley Regal Cinema, which changed its name to the ABC in the 1960s, was one of a great tradition of cinemas in the town which once boasted seven cinemas, rivaling Glasgow as the place that had more picture houses per head of population than anywhere in Europe.

The building ceased to be a cinema in 1981 when the ABC closed, thereafter it functioned as a bingo hall and social club run by County Bingo, then Gala, until its eventual closure on March 5th 2006.

The building though will always be associated with the ABC Minors club which ran during the 1950s and 1960s, when generations of kids would gleefully sing along to the ABC Minor's song, or, accompanied by live music, to vociferous renditions of the day's theme tunes to the epic children's dramas of the day like Dick Barton Special Agent, Laurel and Hardy, The Bowery Boys, Tarzan, or Old Mother Riley.

Ellen Farmer, chair of the Old Paisley Society, reflected with sadness that the building was to be bulldozed, when she said:
"Unless there’s another use for it, I suppose there’s nothing else to be done with the building. I think back to my own children and they went to the ABC Minors and they’re in their 40s now. I went as well when I was younger!

It’s sad, a lot of people will have a lot of fond memories of the building and will be sorry to see it go."

Buddie Michael Fedigan added:
"What was once a architectural art nouveau gem in the history of Paisley’s cinema’s past has been left to rot and decay. It shall be a sad day in the history of Paisley to see the building go.

Why couldn’t it have been re-opened as a cinema in the heart of Paisley instead of having to travel to Linwood or Glasgow to see a movie?

This is yet another blow to the Paisley High Street."

Surveyor Gordon Speir from Central Demolitions who will oversee the process said:
"We started on-site this week. The building has a lot of asbestos in it so we’ll be working on removing that over the next two to three weeks.

It won’t take long to come down. We’ll probably do it over a weekend because there will be some road closures because of where it is situated. We don’t have an exact timetable yet but the building will definitely be down by the end of next month."

For anyone who's trying to recall the ABC Minor's Song, here it is:

The ABC Minors' Song
(Sung to the tune of "Blaze Away")

We are the boys and girls well known
as Minors of the ABC
And every Saturday we line up
To see the films we like
And shout aloud with glee
We love to laugh and have a singsong
Such a happy crowd are we
We're all pals together
The minors of the ABC

Attached Image
ABC Minors' Badge

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 9th Feb 2009, 10:38pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
I remember going to the Paisley Regal in the late 60s with my pal to see our first X-rated film called 'And God created woman' starring Brigitte Bardot. No idea what the film was about, we just ogled Brigitte! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 9th Feb 2009, 11:27pm
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon
I don't suppose they played the ABC Minors' Song before that one then Rab!

Here's the tune for anyone who wants to sing along:

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Gary Marshall*
post 30th May 2009, 09:40pm
Post #4

Thank you so much for the words to the ABC minors song. This takes me back to 1965 when I lived in London and used to visit the ABC Cinema in Stoke Newington every Saturday morning.
I wonder who wrote this little ditty?

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 31st May 2009, 09:21pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Attached Image

More photos and info here

+Quote Post
**Chris**
post 11th Feb 2010, 07:23pm
Post #6

I used to be Asst Manager at the ABC Paisley 1976-1979.

Great memories. great times.

Soory to hear the old ship has sunk... Chris Lock

+Quote Post
GG
post 5th Sep 2012, 10:22pm
Post #7

Administrator
Group Icon
Brilliant wee ABC Minors clip here:

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=0941&se...earch_fuzzy=yes

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.