Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

29 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last Glasgow Royal Wedding Party Cancelled, No 'Wills and Kate' street parties in Glasgow
benny
post 10th Apr 2011, 05:50pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
The spokesman for the Shettleston Historical Society is quoted as saying:

"In this neck of the woods, a street party about celebrating anything to do with royalty is a bit of a no no.

If it had been about Celtic or Rangers winning the treble, I guess there would have been a lot of demand.

There is some support for the royal couple but not to the extent of having a street party, so we gave up on the idea.

We have instead written to the couple to ask if we can use their photograph on a booklet of important local marriages which we may produce."

Important local marriages? Whit part o Shettleston dis Kate come frae?

The last party ah remember fur a Royal wis the Queen's coronation party in 1953 - ah wis only 5 years auld at the time.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ionnsaigh
post 10th Apr 2011, 06:01pm
Post #17

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,122
QUOTE (frankbuntain @ 10th Apr 2011, 05:08pm) *
SHAME ON YOU GLASGOW!!!!!

Quite frankly - Glasgow and Glaswegians, have more to think about than, lets have a party and celebrate the marriage of a couple of English Aristocrats.

Oh aye an another wee thing - a never knew, they were from Shettleston.

--------------------
The Dear Green Place.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Apr 2011, 06:10pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Ah mind o´a George Middleton fae the Bowery in Shettleston but Saxe-Coburgs were prominent by their absence. Mind you, we were aw staunch Jacobites an that probably deterred them. laugh.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JohnG
post 10th Apr 2011, 06:43pm
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,677
Why would anyone want to sit in the street and celebrate the wedding of someone they don't know? They could be perfectly decent people but to me, and thousands like me the issue is what the represent. As Shelley said about Royalty sic 'They are the straw that ties the robbers bundle, the pinnacle of corruption'. In other words they are the justification for inherited wealth and privlege.

+Quote Post
*Ross Holmes*
post 10th Apr 2011, 06:57pm
Post #20

In 70+ years in Glasgow [or just outside latterly] I have never heard of a street party. Has anyone ever considered the weather?

+Quote Post
chas1937
post 10th Apr 2011, 07:05pm
Post #21

Special Visitor
Member No.: 10,795
Main reason I will be watching is that the English(note English) are great at putting on a terrific spectacle for all the world too see.The ordinary TV during day is rubbish so be nice to see something special.I saw all the other Royal Occasions so no point in missing this one.Hope their marriage lasts bit happier and longer than some of their predecessors and when you think Duke of Windsor had to give up Throne because he wanted too marry Wallis Simpson changed days right enough

+Quote Post
JBG
post 10th Apr 2011, 07:19pm
Post #22

Visitor
Member No.: 4,916
QUOTE (frankbuntain @ 10th Apr 2011, 06:08pm) *
SHAME ON YOU GLASGOW!!!!!

I guess there isn't much royal sentimentality in Glasgow?

+Quote Post
RonD
post 10th Apr 2011, 07:31pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Important local marriages? Whit part o Shettleston dis Kate come frae?
The middleton part biggrin.gif

The last party ah remember fur a Royal wis the Queen's coronation party in 1953 - ah wis only 5 years auld at the time.

Ah'ma ages with you Benny, The coronation wiz 4 days before ma fifth birthday.. dae the sums !

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Apr 2011, 07:35pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
I guess there wasn´t much across the Pond in 1773 and onwards. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
DaveEE
post 10th Apr 2011, 07:46pm
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,588
Im missing something here who cares about an English royal wedding i look at myself as a proud Scot but then again i have to register myself as British that gets up my nose as well why don't we all pull down every St Andrews cross in Scotland and put up St Georges crosses for the day and i would like to think i just heard the whole of Glasgow scream AYE THAT'LL BE RIGHT STICK YIR ST GEORGE'S CROSS UP YIR ROYAL ANUS

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Apr 2011, 08:14pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Boy, are you slow at the unpacking ! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
margitsback
post 10th Apr 2011, 08:34pm
Post #27

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,388
Who can blame anyone for not being interested in royal weddings, this country is in recession and most people are struggling to make ends meet and in my opinion the last thing our elected crooks should be spending money on is a wedding,especially a royal one no doubt costing hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers cash,and did HMQE2 show any interest in coming to Scotland with her royal regalia after she was crowned,no,sorry that should read HMQE1 as theres never been a QE2 in Scotland.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Apr 2011, 09:32pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (DaveEE @ 10th Apr 2011, 08:03pm) *
Im missing something here who cares about an English royal wedding i look at myself as a proud Scot but then again i have to register myself as British that gets up my nose as well why don't we all pull down every St Andrews cross in Scotland and put up St Georges crosses for the day and i would like to think i just heard the whole of Glasgow scream AYE THAT'LL BE RIGHT STICK YIR ST GEORGE'S CROSS UP YIR ROYAL ANUS

It took close on 5 years tae rattle your cage rolleyes.gif
Must be an otherwise easy goin' kind of a chap, What? biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Apr 2011, 09:39pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (margitsback @ 10th Apr 2011, 08:51pm) *
... theres never been a QE2 ...

QE2 is a ship. wink.gif
EIIR (Queen Elizabeth II) is your Regent cool.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
**kennyjenkins**
post 10th Apr 2011, 10:26pm
Post #30

I am almost completely overcome with indifference

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.