Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Firm Antics: Mountain Or Molehill?, Legitimate concern or gross over-reaction
enrique
post 7th Mar 2011, 11:24am
Post #16

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
laugh.gif i am in ma 60s now and in my early years followed Rangers, the old firm games were always a bit hairy to go to , but most fans screwed the bobbin and stayed clear of the trouble that was around you , there always was and still is a minority of people who look for trouble, nowadays though as well as the people at the game you have thousands in the pubs and clubs getting well bladdered before and during the game, so its obvious the chances of trouble are multiplied , i am afraid for me the police chief who is up in arms and calling for the old firm games to be banned is in cloud cookoo land , maybe the police have it too easy nowadays , in my area if you see a policeman you feel like asking for his autograph as it is so rare nowadays, so when there is a bit of trouble they seem to take offence to be asked to do their job, the argument of domestic violence , i cant really go with that as these numpties dont need a fitbaw match for that , they do that when anything upsets them, the answer for me is get the clubs to ban supporters who are looking for trouble and arrest as many as possible , but give the courts the ammunition to really hammer these people, none of this community service as a punishment, a couple of years in the Bar-L will soon dampen their ardour
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Callands Reb...
post 7th Mar 2011, 01:10pm
Post #17

Visitor
Member No.: 9,211
Having Protestant and Catholic backgrounds, I tend to leave this game alone as my inlaws are staunch "Rangers".

One might get a doing if he mentioned Celtic.

But politicians need to keep the hell out of this game.

They've screw up the world as is, led by the "YANKS' a truly sorry bunch of 500 so leave footbal to the footballers, the "League" can handle the necessary means to apportion finers or whatever.

Rivalries are rivalries, I see the same intensity in the English Premier League, i.e. kicking, head butting and elbows.

Simply don't go to the game, its been this way for 40 years I know of.

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 7th Mar 2011, 01:42pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
Nice to see weeshuggie being so objective and totally non-partisan. laugh.gif

Speaking as someone who actually attends games I think it's all been blown out of proportion, although some of the combatant club officials need to refrain from the winding-up of opponents whilst getting so easily wound up themselves.
When I suggest a lot worse has gone on in the past, it's not to defend the scenes from Wednesday night, but more to question the motives for this sudden involvement of sundry police officers and politicians.
Quite possibly, the police, under pressure like all public sectors to reduce costs, would like to hand over the full charge of policing to the two clubs thereby freeing up the money they have to pay out of their budget and so intend to make the most of highlighting the situation to push their case.
The politicians? Well, history tells us that when the country is in such a state, they dearly love any opportunity to deflect attention away from their own failings (somebody already mentioned Salmond's tendency to jump onto any convenient bandwagon). Maybe they should be focussing their attention on the circumstances that make Scotland such a hell-hole of binge-drinking and violence on a weekly basis and then, just maybe, the general level of behaviour in Scotland - and not just at football matches - would significantly improve.
"T in the park" to an increasing degree year on year seems to suffer from a wide-spread drug problem, binge drinking, stabbings, sexual assaults and multiple arrests - I await the day that Salmond and Co jump on the bandwagon to ban that event.

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
rabatat
post 7th Mar 2011, 02:17pm
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,094
Don't think Salmond will jump on the "T in the Park" bandwagon – the only wagons he boards are the ones approaching an election.

+Quote Post
**misterglasgow**
post 7th Mar 2011, 02:23pm
Post #20

The recent Old Firm controversy is the end product ( release valve) ... of the Act of Settlement ... i.e No Catholic allowed on the throne ... and also the barring of a Roman Cathoilic being allowed to act as Prime Minister.

One good way of looking at this situation is ... 'Well at least we are not shooting each other ... The battle is on the playing field ....

+Quote Post
TX4
post 7th Mar 2011, 02:43pm
Post #21

Visitor
Member No.: 6,709
Another Old Firm match another wee spat.

However if you take McCoist and Lennon out of the equation,everyone else involved were not brought up in the Rangers /Celtic tradition.

You also have police chief,s calling for the fixture to be banned. If their wishes were to be granted would that not be the first step to a police state?

You also have wee Salmond putting His tuppence worth in, how many Old firm games has he been to where he has actually bought a ticket to watch the match? He usually gets His tickets from freejunketslapupmeal.com.

Before both teams had their stadiums re-developed, Old Firm matches were watched by 100,000 plus at Ibrox and 80,000 plus at Parkhead, in the days when you could actually take booze into the game.

Perhaps the police chief's should do some research and compare the arrest rates then to the figures of today, as Ibrox holds 50% and Celtic park 80% of their capacities.

Old Firm games have been a tradition of growing up in the West of Scotland for over 100 Years. And even if both sides played each other every week, you would still get capacity crowds. So to call for them to be banned would be like asking David Coulthard to win a formula 1 Grand Prix in a home made bogey.

+Quote Post
PabloDav
post 7th Mar 2011, 03:30pm
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,824
QUOTE (weeshuggie @ 6th Mar 2011, 11:45pm) *
No Jupiter, time has already told, hundreds of rangers bigots encouraged by some idiotic you tube post contacted the police demanding action. I have just discovered that 40% of Rangers supporters have deaf sisters who are absolutely crap at lip reading, must be Scottish education flaw. The whole farce has been created to deflect attention away from the thuggery of Rangers players. Diouf says in the Record that Lennon is no racist, however that won't stop the religiously bigoted, did I say religiously, religious, these morons couldn't find a religious arena wae a satnav that only located rosary beads and presbyterian bibles.
Mountain out a mole hill, yes in Lennon's case and no in Rangers case where their outrageous actions have been covered up by a smear and typical idiotic claim of racism.

Death threats, threats to his family, bullets in the post, all for having your team win a few games. The cry is that Lennon incited all this hatred. Paddy McCourt and Nial Mc Ginn were sent bullets too, their contribution to inciting hatred, they are Catholic and from Northern Ireland. Yes how the media change the facts.

Obviously a Celtic supporter Sir.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 7th Mar 2011, 06:40pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
Paplo boy canny work whit team you support ,hard wan tae work oot innit weeshug laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 7th Mar 2011, 06:47pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (auldbutcher @ 7th Mar 2011, 08:03pm) *
Paplo boy canny work whit team you support ,hard wan tae work oot innit weeshug laugh.gif wink.gif

Ye could ay ask whit school he went tae. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
jimmy gee
post 7th Mar 2011, 07:03pm
Post #25

Settling In
Member No.: 3,646
I cant believe all the hype the old firm game is getting are the media with all there lies trying to start a bloodbath at the next old firm game all we saw was two teams going at it hammer and tongs two coaches having a wee handbag fight yet the media have turned it into world war three and we have the mindless bigots believing there gutter press lets bring back some sanity for all our sakes.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 7th Mar 2011, 07:09pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Can anyone say what was supposed to have been said and lip read?

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 7th Mar 2011, 07:17pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
No but if you are desperate to know try the Sunday Mail website

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 7th Mar 2011, 07:36pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Thanks Ashfield but Ill forego that literary pleasure.

+Quote Post
**ANDY**
post 7th Mar 2011, 09:13pm
Post #29

Very well said, Sir. I wholeheartedly agree - best to give that rag a miss!

Save our heroes.

+Quote Post
*Taggart*
post 7th Mar 2011, 09:14pm
Post #30

I think it is disgraceful the way that politicians try to hijack any high-profile or controversial event as a way of trying to divert attention from the fact that is them who are failing to do the jobs they are paid very well to do (with or without lavish expenses). A couple of weeks ago a middle-aged woman was attacked and raped in Glasgow city centre by a gang of fiends. It was the latest in a series of similar assaults in Glasgow. One Glasgow MSP was subsequently forced to resign after he suggested that the victim might be a prostitute who had put herself in harms way.

Politicians are employed to deal with the underlying causes of problems in society in a professional, responsible and effective manner. It is totally unacceptable that Glasgow's politicians not only consistently fail to do their jobs, but also are prepared to jump on any and every bandwagon that comes along that might divert attention from their own laziness and incompetence.

When are we going to have politicians in this once-great city who are (i) conscientious, (ii) productive and (iii) fit for purpose?

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.