Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Earthquake In Italy, Condolences from Christchurch
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 25th Aug 2016, 09:53am
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Watching the heartbreaking scenes on TV from Amatrice and surrounding hamlets, I feel very sad for all residents who have lost loved ones and for those who are still missing.

Sadly, these very old buildings have proved to be death traps for so many people. Having gone through major earthquakes here over the last 5 years, we are still very conscious of how fragile life can be.

Fortunately for us, the newer buildings, although damaged, were not killers. Over 100 lives lost in Christchurch were in one business building which collapsed. Most of the other fatalities in the city were a result of masonry falling from the older buildings. Many of those older buildings have since had to be demolished. Christchurch is still a work in progress and it will be another 5 years before we can say the city will be finished.

My heart goes out to those people in Italy, grieving for lost loved ones, hoping to find those missing, and all the time having to cope with ongoing aftershocks and loss of amenities.

To the Italian people, Christchurch people know how you are feeling and are deeply sympathetic.

Kia Kaha (stay strong).

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 25th Aug 2016, 10:01am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Well said SKL, it's a terrible tragedy, i'll certainly think twice before complaining about the weather.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 25th Aug 2016, 02:54pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Just terrible news.

Last time I saw the death toll was in the hundreds. Lets hope the European governments can get together and assist in an effective way.... and soon!!

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 25th Aug 2016, 10:52pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
A touching post KWL. When such an incident(s) has happened close to home, you can feel for people who are now going through the same ordeals as the people of your country.

As Jagz has said, we here in Scotland should consider ourselves lucky that the rain is all we have to moan about weatherwise.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 26th Aug 2016, 11:33am
Post #5

City Key Holder
You are right, Danny. I had lived in Christchurch for 48 years when we got hit by the first big one, 7.1 magnitude, in 2010. Even though we knew the country had major fault lines and we had numerous smaller quakes, nothing prepared us for the big one. Even then, we thought how lucky we were to have so little damage but nothing prepared us for the horrible aftershocks, leading up to the disastrous 6.3 shake five months later.

Even that one did little damage to my house but it was very hard living for 12 days without water, or sewerage. Also, several of my family were forced out of their homes and had to move in with me. The anxiety during those times was immense but we pulled together and helped each other out. It made us stronger I guess but we live in hope it doesn't happen again in Christchurch.

Buildings around New Zealand now have to be earthquake strengthened - a good sign for the future. I pity the people in and around Amatrice as there are very tough times ahead for them.

Be thankful for the rain in Scotland, Danny! We are having some very welcome rain today, the first real rain this winter. Canterbury farmers have had drought conditions for two years now and must be a lot happier today.

Regards,

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 29th Aug 2016, 09:14pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hello again KWL

I am 'posting' again because your original post gave no indication of what you and your family had been through. Now that you have given more details, I have to express my admiration for the very quiet way you painted a picture for us, of what must have been a traumatic experience for you and all concerned.

You certainly have a good reason for understanding what the people in Italy are going through.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
carmella
post 29th Aug 2016, 11:12pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Earthquakes are such sudden and terrible things, my heart was heavy when I heard about this as it happened in the wee small hours, people had no chance. I can only imagine what 2 minutes felt like that took their lives, and shattered the lives of the survivors so terrible.

Now these people need to be having a roof over their heads before the winter comes October to March very cold and with snow. I feel so sorry for them all.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 30th Aug 2016, 11:01am
Post #8

City Key Holder
Thanks for your interest, Danny. Unfortunately, when major disasters happen around the world, the news reports soon end and although financial and practical help is welcomed from other countries, the people affected are soon left to pick up the pieces and get on with life.

Christchurch and Canterbury had I think around 12,000+ aftershocks, several of them over 6.0 magnitude. It is not over yet - last Sunday we had five aftershocks ranging from 2.5 to 3.8, small in comparison to earlier shakes but still enough to wake us up! We have all become quite expert in picking the intensity now.

The seaside suburbs were badly hit in 2011 and left thousands of people homeless, also the hillside suburbs where my sister and brother-in-law lived. Their house was split in two, with the lower section parting company from the rest. Fortunately they both ran outside as the entire kitchen, where my sister had been making lunch, came down and would surely have trapped her had she not run. I know many older people, friends and family, who have never completely got over the earthquakes, so they have had a major impact on all our lives.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
GG
post 30th Aug 2016, 11:00pm
Post #9

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow Mass for victims of Italian earthquake

A mass has been held in Glasgow to remember the victims of last week's earthquake in central Italy.

At least 290 people were killed and hundreds more injured when the 6.2-magnitude quake struck in the early hours of Wednesday, 100km (65 miles) north-east of Rome.

The town of Amatrice was among the worst affected areas.

The service at St Andrew's Cathedral was led by the Archbishop of Glasgow, Philip Tartaglia.

It follows a similar event in Edinburgh on Sunday.

Ronnie Convery, director of communications for the Archdiocese of Glasgow, said there had been wide interest in the service from Scotland's Italian community.

"We are looking at something like 400 new arrivals from Italy every month at the moment in Glasgow and Edinburgh," he said.

"It's those people I notice on social media who have really taken up the information about the mass today.

"It's also interesting that in many cases people are not necessarily practicing Catholics but they just want to have that opportunity to be together, to meet, to do something."

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37213052

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.