Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Daniel Blake, Read and Weep
Melody
post 14th May 2016, 02:29pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Not shocking I know but shockingly cruel as has become the norm in the UK as in other lands also.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/1...brutally-moving
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyball
post 14th May 2016, 03:25pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 32,769
QUOTE (Melody @ 14th May 2016, 03:29pm) *
Not shocking I know but shockingly cruel as has become the norm in the UK as in other lands also.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/1...brutally-moving

Certainly a harsh reminder, if we needed it, that while the rich get richer by fair means or foul, the poor get poorer!

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th May 2016, 08:03pm
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Thanks Melody, I rarely go to the pictures now because of all the rubbish that is passed off as the 'latest blockbuster', but will certainly go to see this.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 16th May 2016, 07:11pm
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
looks interesting, hope we get it over here in canada.

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd May 2016, 11:08pm
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Brilliant! smile.gif

Cannes 2016: Ken Loach's I, Daniel Blake wins Palme d'Or

British director Ken Loach's film I, Daniel Blake has won the Palme d'Or at Cannes Film Festival.

It was the 79-year-old's second award for best picture at the festival after 2006's The Wind That Shakes the Barley.

Loach attacked the "dangerous project of austerity" as he accepted the award for his film about a middle-aged widower and the UK welfare system.

Kent-born director Andrea Arnold won the competition's Jury Prize for her road movie American Honey.

Irish cinematographer Robbie Ryan shot both films.

It was the 13th time that Loach, a social campaigner for most of his career and the director of more than 50 movies, has competed at the event.

I, Daniel Blake, which stars stand-up comedian Dave Johns in the title role, was written by long-time Loach collaborator Paul Laverty.

It documents what happens when an older man living in Newcastle has a heart attack and can no longer do his job.

He is declared fit for work, meaning his benefits are stopped, and he begins to go hungry.

Accepting the festival's top prize from actor Mel Gibson, Loach said: "We must give a message of hope, we must say another world is possible.

"The world we live in is at a dangerous point right now. We are in the grip of a dangerous project of austerity driven by ideas that we call neo-liberalism that have brought us to near catastrophe."

Loach told the press conference he was "quietly stunned" to have won the award with "the same little gang" from his first win in 2006.

Asked about his plans for the future, Loach gave nothing away, saying: "When you get very old you're just pleased to see the sunrise the next day, so we'll just take each day as it comes." [...]

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36355313

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Melody
post 23rd May 2016, 07:45am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Yeh!!!! Great I was just going to post that news Martin. clap.gif

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.