Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Happy St. Andrew's Day, To one and all, near and far.
Heather
post 27th Nov 2009, 01:04am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Our Parish, St. Bridget's Baillieston always celebrate St. Andrews Day.

We have a special Mass on the nearest Saturday to St. Andrews Day. It is always on a Saturday so people who are working can attend.
We used to have a Ceilidh dance in the evening as well, but for some reason it has not been held these last couple of years. It was nice with Saltire's all around the hall and small one's on the table decoration.

After Mass we have a buffet breakfast in the Chapel Hall.

10'0'clock Mass this Saturday the 28th, all welcome. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 1st Dec 2009, 11:11pm
Post #32

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
My wife and I have traditional Haggis dinner on St Andrew's Day. It was Macsweens and was very nice. No drink though as it fell on a Monday.

I saw the BBC Scotland evening news interviewing people in the street about St Andrews day. Very few knew anything about it.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
RonD
post 1st Dec 2009, 11:39pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 26th Nov 2009, 01:40pm) *
Aye, any excuse fer a phish up!

Ye make that sound like a bad thing????? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 2nd Dec 2009, 11:25pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Like Weir I was in Edinburgh over the weekend and the atmosphere was electric.Weather was cold and misty but the city was pulsating with energy.There was an international on at Murrayfield and the city was awash in guys with kilts ,myself included.The St Andrews Cross was flying everywhere as people made their way out to the stadium.Princes Street is still a mess as the tram tracks go down but the gardens were packed as the Xmas festivities get under way and and a big promotion for St Andrews Day in St Andrews Square.It still amazes me how many foreign tourists are in the capital now that we are in winter...cheap flights with Ryan Air and Easyjet are still bringing in tourists from all over Europe...They even do the Ghost walks in Spanish now.....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
enrique
post 3rd Dec 2009, 11:16am
Post #35

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
QUOTE (rossmckenzie @ 2nd Dec 2009, 11:23pm) *
Like Weir I was in Edinburgh over the weekend and the atmosphere was electric.Weather was cold and misty but the city was pulsating with energy.There was an international on at Murrayfield and the city was awash in guys with kilts ,myself included.The St Andrews Cross was flying everywhere as people made their way out to the stadium.Princes Street is still a mess as the tram tracks go down but the gardens were packed as the Xmas festivities get under way and and a big promotion for St Andrews Day in St Andrews Square.It still amazes me how many foreign tourists are in the capital now that we are in winter...cheap flights with Ryan Air and Easyjet are still bringing in tourists from all over Europe...They even do the Ghost walks in Spanish now.....

In spanish eh, hole moses that could be an EL of a walk

+Quote Post
Heather
post 5th Dec 2009, 02:59am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Well hopefully some children will grow up knowing about St. Andrew.

On the feast day itself, our St. Bridgets Primary School children sang out lustily the hymn to St. Andrew at a Mass for the whole school.
Then afterwards, they had a Ceilidh in the Parish Centre. smile.gif

You'll notice it wasn't just the girls dancing, the boys were having a good time as well.

It looks to me they were doing, 'The Dashing white Sergeant', in this picture'. laugh.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Dec 2009, 03:09am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
For the uninitiated among us can you please supply the lyrics of the St Andrew's hymn.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Heather
post 5th Dec 2009, 03:28am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
THH, I don't know all the words, but I'll get them for you. My g'daughter's will know them. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Dec 2009, 04:51am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Nice one Heather. wink.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 5th Dec 2009, 05:45pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
hole moses ...haha sounds like Gino D'Acampo this weeks king of the jungle....especially when his willie was under attack with red ants..a was squirming just watching him.Must admit i like Gino but a thought Kim was one tough old burd,well up for anything...things she did just made me admire her...well gutsy lady

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 5th Dec 2009, 05:58pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Never thought Ex pats probably dont have a clue who Kim is...big bosum half of Kim and Aggie...brrrrr
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heather
post 5th Dec 2009, 10:21pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Ross, can you tell me what those clowns in the jungle have to do with St. Andrews Day????

--------------------

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 6th Dec 2009, 01:16am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Fairly simple Heather "hole moses that could be an EL of a walk"......simply a comment by Enrique the original poster and exactly the same phase used by Gino D’Acamapo which I thought was quite cool.....I actually thought that this st Andrews day post was an important one and yet only seven people posted on it

--------------------

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 6th Dec 2009, 05:57pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached ImageHeres some of my recieved well wishes from friends at hame in Glesga ive plenty more where these came from via emails n on Bebo & springburn remaniscence site etc.Wish id thought tae get oan here tae that day ahm Sorry ahve been away a wee while but it sure is grand tae be back.

Aye ah would suggest many folks at hame and abroad still concern themselves with St Andrews day judging by the many st andrews day wishes I reieved from both strangers in the shopping centre here in Aussie as well as from freends frae hame.We celabrated with Steak pie frae the scottish shop so we did ,we took the time tae recognise the day & raised a Glass or 2 tae.

The down under Aussie people seem tae be very taken with it also the scottish people in general every one seems to want to claim Scottish heritage here its amazing what yer Glesga accent can dae fur ye doon under friend,People just want ye tae talk awe the time & chat aboot the traditions & great warriors etc of Bonnie Scotland the Brave.Everyone Luvs the scots here.I have certainly gotten more patriotic for the things of hame since ahve been here some 21 yrs now I need to feel the closeness tae ma ain folk n ma heilan hame ye know witta mean even though I left it I still love it always will . I Meant tae say,there were also many banners in all the shops as well despite the fact there was christmas decorations everywhere St Andrew got his day here in OZ.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Elma
post 7th Dec 2009, 03:38am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Bit different here, at least in this area of Canada. No-one I spoke too realized it was St.Andrew's Day and most didn't even know who he was. There was no mention on TV or radio and certainly no St.Andrew's Cross flags. The only patron saint who is remembered here is St.Patrick with all the green hoopla, etc.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.