Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jeremy Corbyn Wins Labour Leadership, Elected leader in a landslide victory
john.mcn
post 12th Sep 2015, 11:50am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34223157

Will they split?

Veteran left-wing MP Jeremy Corbyn has been elected leader of the Labour Party by a landslide.

Mr Corbyn, who began the contest as a rank outsider, saw off a challenge from frontbenchers Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall.

He gained 251,417 or 59.5% of first preference votes - 40% more than his nearest rival Mr Burnham, who got 19%.

Ms Cooper was third on 17% and Ms Kendall a distant fourth with 4.5% of the vote.

Follow the latest updates and reaction to Corbyn's victory on our live page
A total of 422,664 people cast a vote - a turnout of 76%. Former minister and Gordon Brown ally Tom Watson was elected deputy leader.

Corbyn supporters chanted "Jez we did" as he took to the stage, putting on his glasses to deliver his acceptance speech.

In his victory speech, the left winger, who has spent his entire 32 year career in the Commons on the backbenches, promised to fight for a more tolerant and inclusive Britain - and to tackle "grotesque levels of inequality in our society".

He said the leadership campaign "showed our party and our movement, passionate, democratic, diverse, united and absolutely determined in our quest for a decent and better society that is possible for all".

"They are fed up with the inequality, the injustice, the unnecessary poverty. All those issues have brought people in, in a spirit of hope and optimism."

He said his campaign had given the lie to claims that young Britons were apathetic about politics, showing instead that they are "a very political generation that were turned off by the way in which politics was being conducted. We have to, and must, change that."

Mr Corbyn added: "The fight back now of our party gathers speed and gathers pace."

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 12th Sep 2015, 12:33pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
There's a fairly decent factual summary of the situation up to now from Michael Settle, UK Political Editor, in the Evening Times today. What is most interesting for me is this paragraph:

He has espoused the usual hard Left causes focusing on: fighting welfare cuts; proposing higher taxes, higher spending and higher borrowing; opposing Trident as well as Nato and EU membership; calling for renationalisation of the railways and energy companies; supporting Irish republicanism and the cause of Palestine.

In his article, Settle mentions the term "hard left" three times, but in whose world other than the priviliged elites (like Settle?) are policies such as fighting welfare cuts, renationalisation of the railways and energy companies, and proposing higher taxes in one of the most unequal countries in the world "hard Left" policies? In referring to such sensible, moderate and highly popular policies (even amongst Tory voters), Settle is simply espousing the warped, privileged viewpoint that, in the same article, he appears to denigrate the "right-wing Press" for having.

The fact is that the US-owned Evening Times and The Herald are effectively now institutionalised as part of the "right-wing Press", and very much a significant factor contributing to the reason that the city steadfastly refuses to recognise the inherent and endemic problems that if faces under astonishingly poor Labour governance.

Full article here:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1371650...bour_leadership

Good luck to Jeremy Corbyn ... he's going to need it! smile.gif

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 12th Sep 2015, 12:55pm
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister, issued an immediate warning that Scotland's appetite for independence may grow if Labour remains divided.

"We congratulate Jeremy Corbyn on his victory and hope that we can work constructively with him in a progressive alliance against Tory austerity.

"We also call on him to give an early commitment that Labour MPs will join the SNP in voting against the £100 billion renewal of Trident.

"However, the reality today is that at a time when the country needs strong opposition to the Tories, Jeremy Corbyn leads a deeply, and very bitterly, divided party.

"Indeed, if Labour cannot quickly demonstrate that they have a credible chance of winning the next UK general election, many more people in Scotland are likely to conclude that independence is the only alternative to continued Tory government.

"In the meantime, it is clearer than ever that the only credible and united opposition to the Tories, north and south of the border, is the SNP."

In his victory speech, Mr Corbyn said "the fightback now of our party gathers speed and gathers pace" throughout the UK.

"I'm delighted that Kezia Dugdale is here today, our leader in Scotland," he said.

"We're all going to be campaigning in Scotland for those great Labour traditions in Scotland."

In a statement, Ms Dugdale said: "Today shows politics has changed. People are calling for radical change and straight talk.

"Jeremy's election shows that the party has listened to that call, and I look forward to working with him and meeting him to discuss his priorities later today.

"I have already said that I want people to take another look at the Labour Party. I want to say that again today. I hope that those who were lost to us in the past will start to listen again as both Jeremy and I put forward radical policies that we hope will win back support for Labour.

"We've now got the chance for a fresh start and new leadership in both Scotland and across the UK.

"I've said I want my leadership to be about shaking up the establishment in Scotland, and Jeremy wants to do the same across the UK. What people want is real change - not just in their politics, but in their lives. Today offers the chance for that change."

Scottish Conservative leader Ruth Davidson also released a statement, but, as usual, it's not worth even a quick copy and paste job! huh.gif

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
flam
post 12th Sep 2015, 06:57pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
My own personal opinion is Jeremy Corbyn may be a great Labour leader, but he will never be a Prime Minister,he is of the Red Flag, so his first port of call is to tell Russia to stop arming Assad
The Tories will be rejoicing tonight and for the next 20 years, but he was democratically elected and no one can take that away from

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 12th Sep 2015, 07:20pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Amazing how someone becoming their 'boss' can change a persons mind, last month Kezia Dugdale was warning a Jeremy Corbyn would leave labour “carping on the sidelines”, not thats he won she's saying "Today shows politics has changed. People are calling for radical change and straight talk. huh.gif

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 12th Sep 2015, 09:28pm
Post #6

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
QUOTE (flam @ 12th Sep 2015, 08:05pm) *
My own personal opinion is Jeremy Corbyn may be a great Labour leader, but he will never be a Prime Minister,he is of the Red Flag, so his first port of call is to tell Russia to stop arming Assad
The Tories will be rejoicing tonight and for the next 20 years, but he was democratically elected and no one can take that away from

Spot on!

I think this has handed the Conservatives a guarantee of government for a generation and beyond but it could also change the political view in Scotland. As people become more and more skeptical of they may indeed embrace Corbyn or they may embrace Nationalism and we are now in uncharted territory.

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 12th Sep 2015, 10:46pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
We all know it will be up to the UK electorate to decide if he will be the next Prime Minister.

I just hope by the time the next election comes along, he will have clear policies on the economy, the NHS, Nationalisation of public transport and energy suppliers, and the 'hot topic', immigration.

Whatever his policies are, they should concentrate the minds of the other political parties to come up with policies that the electorate prefer.

His election as Labour leader will surely raise the interest level in the electorate, to take part in the election, just as the Scottish Independence Referedum did.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 13th Sep 2015, 08:18am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
At least he is from the left side.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 13th Sep 2015, 08:50am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
That's right! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 13th Sep 2015, 09:48am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
I'm beginning to like this man ...

"Replacing Trident would be a costly mistake. Corbyn, a long-term CND member, says plans to replace the nuclear missile system should be ditched. He believes the project's £100bn price tag could be better spent "on our national well-being"."

I like this too ...

" Far more allotments would be good for the UK. He has a plot near his constituency in north London and told the Commons in 2008 that councils and builders "should be doing their best to ensure that every new development includes some allotment space"."

Can you imagine Cameron even knowing what an allotment is?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34209478

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 13th Sep 2015, 10:13am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
On second thoughts - I've gone off him ...

"Ireland should be united. Corbyn has long supported British withdrawal from Northern Ireland and invited Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams to the House of Commons as far back as 1984. He was criticised for observing a minute's silence for eight IRA members killed by the SAS in 1987 and once employed Irish Republican Ronan Bennett as a member of staff at Westminster."

I don't think that most of the people in NI will be too thrilled by this thinking.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 13th Sep 2015, 11:25am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Corbyn while having some views that i agree with is a complete loon.

Rent controls should be re-introduced, linking private rents to local earnings, and more council houses should be built. He also believes that council tenants' right to buy their homes should be extended to private sector renters.

Right to buy from private owners??? WTF!!! They already have a right to buy, when the owner sells it. Is he proposing compulsory purchases backed by the UK government (he will never be PM but humour me) where the owner will be forced by law to sell to a tenant, possibly when the market is low and at a loss, simply because it's fits in with his simplistic hippy commune viewpoint...

Labour are finished for a generation at least, the last Tory rule of 18 years doesn't seem that long now.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Sep 2015, 11:39am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 13th Sep 2015, 12:21pm) *
On second thoughts - I've gone off him ...

"Ireland should be united. Corbyn has long supported British withdrawal from Northern Ireland and invited Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams to the House of Commons as far back as 1984. He was criticised for observing a minute's silence for eight IRA members killed by the SAS in 1987 and once employed Irish Republican Ronan Bennett as a member of staff at Westminster."

I don't think that most of the people in NI will be too thrilled by this thinking.

On the other hand, many are not too thrilled by the thinking of many in NI.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 13th Sep 2015, 04:17pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 13th Sep 2015, 12:33pm) *
Right to buy from private owners??? WTF!!! They already have a right to buy, when the owner sells it. Is he proposing compulsory purchases backed by the UK government

Terribly Thatcherite, dontcha think?

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
flam
post 13th Sep 2015, 04:39pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Jeremy Corbyn stands for more or less of everything that the SNP stands for,Except he states that Scotland must stay in the United Kingdom, will this take a little drop of voters away from the SNP.He was at one time friends with the I.R.A., Hamas and other terrorist groups Etc.
Should we trust him?
But the man was democratically elected

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.