Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

56 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Immigration Worries, Its no a new worry
john.mcn
post 5th Nov 2014, 10:49pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (Dylan @ 5th Nov 2014, 08:22pm) *
Lost me !

Well Dylan it seems as long as they make money you will turn a blind eye to the negatives of mass immigration, forget about the young people born here, or even older people out there looking for jobs who will just have to compete with all the newcomers.. Forget about the parents of kids in school who have seen their education suffer because more time is needed for kids who struggle with english. You're alright with yer wee pension you got when you took early retirement 20 years ago, as long as Corrie is on and you can get a pensioners pony down the bowling club you can sit on your pedestal and mock the ones who are concerned with no control of numbers that can come here.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 5th Nov 2014, 10:52pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (angel @ 5th Nov 2014, 07:47pm) *
I agree Dylan , countries as a whole do benefit from immigration
and reading the posts on this thread , as an emmigrant myself
I am so very happy that I was not immigrating to the UK,

Hello Angel

Yes you were an immigrant, but it was controlled immigration, not an open doors policy. Please don't tell me you just jumped on a ship or aeroplane and turned up in Canada, then said. " I think I will stay here. I will get a house provided by the state, and if I don't want to work, the state will keep me, and give me a car. The state will also pay for the upkeep of my children

I bet you think I am making this up.

Well this week there was a documentary on TV regarding a the town of Leicester, in England. It is now officially the first town in England where the 'white' English residents are in the minoriity. There are now more Mosques and Indian Temples than there are English Christian churches of all denominations.

Appearing in the program was a young woman from Somalia. She had come to this country when she was 14. She now has four children, is unmarried and is unemployed. She said the reason she is unemployed is because her culture does not allow her to work if there are men on the premises where she is employed. She lives in a modern Council house rent free is on benefit payments and receives payments for her four children. She was filmed driving her own car, again paid for by the tax payer.

The programme involved people from Poland, and Indian people who had emigrated to the UK in the 1960's. The people from India were horrified at the benefite people coming to this country receive. When they came here they were children. Their parents went out to work. They invited the Somalian woman to stay with them overnight. She said she would but only on condition that the husband stayed away for the night. Her culture does not allow her to stay in a house with a strange man present. I wonder how she managed to have 4 children, especially as she is unmarried?

Go on tell me that Canada would have treated you like that when you emigrated there.

Again, referring to your statement:

"Countries as a whole do benefit from immigration."

Once again, I have to emphasise that this is true if it is controlled immigration.

I have friends who live in Canada. I believe Canada is having immigration problems?

Wasn't there trouble a few years ago when an Indian Temple was attacked, because the assailants mistook it for a Moslem Mosque?, somewhere in the Toronto area?

What is happening now is that unknown numbers of people are moving from one country to another, some coming because of organised criminal gangs. There are 10 million illegal immigrants in the USA.
I can't give you the figures for the UK because the UK Government doesn't know.

There is a myth about, that EU migrants are taking jobs in the UK because British people wont work for low wages on offer. A relative of mine had a job with a hotel group. Some EU people moved into the area. He was told his wages would now be frozen, because they had employed EU people who were prepared to work for less than they were paying him.He left because the EU guys took over all the jobs.

What has happened in this country is that there are very few people still alive who remember the fight the working class of this country had to put up to get a decent standard of living. We don't need more uncontrolled immigration to this country.

On a recent visit to a local museum, there were photos of women and children down coal mines. The children were shovelling coal into carts and the women were pulling the loaded carts, like horses. This was the generation that fought for us to have a better standard of living. They didn't envisage that people from other countries would come here to reap the benefits of their fight.

It is a pity that television wasn't around in those days. It would maybe have made today's British population realise that this country hasn't always been the Utopia immigrants want to come to. Our ancestors had to fight for it, and we are giving it all away cheaply, because we don't want to be accused of being racist.

When we become the minority as has happened in other parts of the world, it will be too late.

Regards

Danny Harris

Regards to All

+Quote Post
angel
post 6th Nov 2014, 02:46am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Danny , there are quite a few countries who are trying to deal with their immigration problems including Canada , it's not only the UK or Scotland .

In regards to your first paragraph on that great diatribe you have posted , which refers to our thought's when we immigrated to Canada, it is not worth a reply .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 6th Nov 2014, 03:14am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Regarding Danny's post.....and the piece about Leicester "Welcome to the club Leicester"!!!!!.....this is the beginning,and it comes fast!!...a recent statistic showed that 80% of residents in cities in and around Los Angeles County were an ethnic majority....all the large school districts have ethnic majorities....there are 5 Hispanic children born compared with 1 white American child...and yes' 100's of million's are spent on 'English speaking' classes,and the stats prove this,California schools rank 46th in the nation when it comes to English and math!....the city I live in has a population about the same as Glasgow and all the schools are in the 98% range of ethnic students....this has all happened just over the last two decades.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 6th Nov 2014, 07:37am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 5th Nov 2014, 11:06pm) *
Well Dylan it seems as long as they make money you will turn a blind eye to the negatives of mass immigration, forget about the young people born here, or even older people out there looking for jobs who will just have to compete with all the newcomers.. Forget about the parents of kids in school who have seen their education suffer because more time is needed for kids who struggle with english. You're alright with yer wee pension you got when you took early retirement 20 years ago, as long as Corrie is on and you can get a pensioners pony down the bowling club you can sit on your pedestal and mock the ones who are concerned with no control of numbers that can come here.

Gibberish .

BTW.

I do not play bowls !.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 6th Nov 2014, 08:20am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (angel @ 6th Nov 2014, 05:03am) *
In regards to your first paragraph on that great diatribe you have posted , which refers to our thought's when we immigrated to Canada, it is not worth a reply .

Its not worth a reply Pat because you know it to be the truth, there's not one expat on this board who is not wherever they are in the world because of the Skills, Experience or Qualifications that they or their partner possessed.

Its not immigration that's the UK's problem its the uncontrolled open door policy that has been used by corrupt politicians like Bliar and Brown for their own purposes.

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 6th Nov 2014, 11:32am
Post #22

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
Danny

Very good and considered post.
Well done!
Angel wont answer you as she knows that what you say is the truth.

Thanks to poor politicians we are now, for immigrants, the land of milk and honey.
The example of the somalian woman with four children refusing to work in case any strange men were there is what this country has slumped too. She, and her four children should be put on a plane back to Somalia and good riddance to them.
That wont happen, of course, they've 'Got Rights!' and don't they know it!
When we are the minority culture you can bet your bottom dollar we won't have any rights!
Alex

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 6th Nov 2014, 12:23pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dylan @ 6th Nov 2014, 07:54am) *
Gibberish .

BTW.

I do not play bowls !.

I didn't say you played bowls.

What part is gibberish, the part where i accuse you of not caring for your fellow 'countrymen/women' because you dont care for their job prospects, and that you support open door immigration policy simply because some number cruncher says it makes more than it costs while ignoring the social aspects of it?

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 6th Nov 2014, 12:34pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
What part is gibberish ?

All of it !.

You take specious nonsense to a new level !.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 6th Nov 2014, 01:31pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder

So are you saying that if xxx amount of non UK citizens move to an area and start applying for jobs it wont have an effect on the local populations chance of gaining employment?
Are you also saying that if families came over with their kids who couldn't speak English very well that it wouldn't have an effect on the schools and pupils?

Remember old Broons pledge british jobs for british workers, then it was revealed that the vast majority of jobs created during labours time in office went to non UK citizens. Then we had labour criticising the Tories because they did the same thing but was marginally worse, thats a bit like admitting they're stupid but using the excuse the Tories are 'stupider'

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
petunia
post 6th Nov 2014, 01:32pm
Post #26

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 6,822
You are so right DG years ago when I came to Canada I had to have a job to come to I was also checked at the airport and asked how much money I had etc. to make sure I wasn't going to be a burden to the country. The people coming to Canada in those days mostly arrived with jobs to go to and were encouraged to go to other parts of the country apart from the big cities like Toronto and Vancouver now however it has all changed they come from all over the world legal or not they have lost control and yes I was told when I came into the country and I am a white Anglo Saxon Protestant when in Rome do as the Romans do (in other words fit in) but these days Canadians have to fit in with the immigrants or they will be labels racist. In Toronto for instance there are people from every country in this world living there and a lot of them are probably on welfare and have English classes for "NEW" immigrants all paid for by the taxpayer (me) who had to fend for myself when I came here and I still am the immigrants now have got it made in the shade , Angel lives in an area with a very large population of immigrants so I guess she wants to be politically correct in her thinking or like a lot of people including our governments looking the other way on immigration until one day they wake up and we are all big minorities in our own countries and life will never be as we know it

+Quote Post
ktv
post 6th Nov 2014, 02:01pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
the problem with ending our so called "open door policy" for eu citizens is that if we do end it then other countries might do the same.

then we'll have nearly 6 million extra "brits" who currently live abroad back on our door steps looking for work, using our hospitals etc etc so nothing would change at all.

as ive said repeatedly, the gov slash our services with massive cuts over decades then when the system cant cope they have to blame some one for it...oh look jonny foreigner is using "our" hospital

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 6th Nov 2014, 03:23pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (ktv @ 6th Nov 2014, 04:18pm) *
the problem with ending our so called "open door policy" for eu citizens is that if we do end it then other countries might do the same.

then we'll have nearly 6 million extra "brits" who currently live abroad back on our door steps looking for work, using our hospitals etc etc so nothing would change at all.

Your theory and fears are all conjecture ktv, I don't know where you get the 6mill figure from? whether it includes people who have retired say to Spain or like myself having left the country voluntarily, but in the two scenarios i detailed that type of person can support themselves without using up valuable resources from the country they have chosen to live in, there's a big, nay a huge difference from going to live somewhere where through your SKILLS or FINANCIAL means you are able to support yourself and your family and the economic immigrant you see swamping the UK with neither Job prospects or financial means to support themselves and their dependents.

And if your worried about having to show a passport when you travel, I can remember the time when people would boast about the number of foreign stamps in their passport laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 6th Nov 2014, 03:28pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
I suppose there's also the pressure on, say, the Spanish schools when all those Brits turn up with kids who don't speak Spanish.

Not just stamps on you passport. I miss the foreign currency too. The Euro is boring.

+Quote Post
angel
post 6th Nov 2014, 04:02pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (angel @ 5th Nov 2014, 06:47pm) *
I agree Dylan , countries as a whole do benefit from immigration and reading the posts on this thread , as an immigrant myself I am so very happy that I was not emmigrating to the UK,

the above post Dave is / are my thought's on immigration , nothing more nothing less , however it is'nt perfect and never will be , lot's of mistakes made by Canadian and UK governments also with other countries who are facing the same problems ,ie , more or less. , in fact their policies have created an attitude of intolerance towards those immigrants whom they let into the countries in the first place .

Danny's first paragraph in his post ....... Hello Angel

Yes you were an immigrant, but it was controlled immigration, not an open doors policy. Please don't tell me you just jumped on a ship or aeroplane and turned up in Canada, then said. " I think I will stay here. I will get a house provided by the state, and if I don't want to work, the state will keep me, and give me a car. The state will also pay for the upkeep of my children

It does not warrant a reply ,, I consider it to be insulting . and for the rest of his post I have read all that stuff before , quite boring .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

56 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.