Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Sectarian Laws In Scotland, Laws to combat sectarianism
mitchell
post 2nd Jul 2011, 10:53pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
32 arrested for Sectarian offences.
Story from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-13993505

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 2nd Jul 2011, 10:57pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (GG @ 2nd Jul 2011, 01:20pm) *
Dunvegan, or anyone else, please make sure that if you read any such provocative rantings on this forum, you use the report button to bring them to my attention.

GG.

Totally agree with you on this as I cant see any rantings on this thread.
only from the mentioned posters post earlier.

+Quote Post
benny
post 2nd Jul 2011, 11:35pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (wombat @ 2nd Jul 2011, 11:11pm) *
rolleyes.gif care tae elaborate on the "secret grip" benny?

and dont tell me its a secret biggrin.gif

Aye, nae bother, Wombat.

Ye put yer pinkie in, ye put yer pinkie out,
Ye take yer index finger, an ye shoogle it about,
Ye ask, "How auld's yer granny?", an ye gie yer haun a flip,
An that's the masonci grip. Oy! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
wombat
post 2nd Jul 2011, 11:37pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 2nd Jul 2011, 11:49pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196

rolleyes.gif i feel like dancing after your post benny ,hope no one's offended by my "green "shoes?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 3rd Jul 2011, 12:41am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (benny @ 2nd Jul 2011, 11:28pm) *
Aye, nae bother, Wombat.

Ye put yer pinkie in, ye put yer pinkie out,
Ye take yer index finger, an ye shoogle it about,
Ye ask, "How auld's yer granny?", an ye gie yer haun a flip,
An that's the masonci grip. Oy!

The Compass and Square - tools that I've used in my childhood, through my aircraft career and in my cellar in retirement.
In '64 I saw a Masonic ring in the window of a Blackpool jeweler and knew I must have it. It was, to me, sheer beauty; a compass and square in gold on a deep blue background. When I went in to look closer at it I found it was a reversible signet ring; the stone was on a pivot, so I was sold ... and bought the ring and had my initial signature inscribed on the reverse but rarely showed that side.
I shared a room in Blackpool with a Glasgow lad who was at that time assistant manager in the Foxhall Hotel. He now and again asked me; to my mind, silly questions - one of which was how auld's yer granny?
On answering Och, jesus, she's been deid fur dunkies years he flew across the room and dived on me bringing me from the bed to the floor under a rain of blows wi' me thinking he'd flipped his bliddy lid. By the time I'd got him quietened down he was callin' me an imposter (I hadn't given the ring a thought).
But I had a lot of bad luck with the ring; the pivot kept breakin' off (I wore it all the time; even to work) and I was always paying to have it repaired. At Clydebridge Steel Works I gave it; in bits, to a workmate, showing him the signature on the reverse joking that he'd have to change his name. He said he'd wear it right side up because he was no imposter.
I wished him luck anyway.
I'd loved to have kept that ring purely because of the insignia with the compass and square but the number of times I've nearly lost fingers because of rings (I used to wear 2 on each hand ; now none rolleyes.gif ) it's probably just as well I gave it away.

* when he asked how auld's yer granny? I might have given him ma maw's co-op divi number if I'd known what he was after. tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Jul 2011, 12:57am
Post #37

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (mitchell @ 2nd Jul 2011, 10:46pm) *
32 arrested for Sectarian offences.
Story from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-13993505

No, mitchell, if you read the report, it says: "... six of these [32 arrests were] for sectarian offences". Assuming all six 'offences' result in convictions in a court of law, then that is six people out of 8,000 ... less than 0.1%.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 3rd Jul 2011, 01:05am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Maybe so GG, but those identified at committing the offences were among the followers.
So what did the other 26 get lifted for?

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 3rd Jul 2011, 01:59am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 3rd Jul 2011, 10:34am) *
The Compass and Square - tools that I've used in my childhood, through my aircraft career and in my cellar in retirement.
In '64 I saw a Masonic ring in the window of a Blackpool jeweler and knew I must have it. It was, to me, sheer beauty; a compass and square in gold on a deep blue background. When I went in to look closer at it I found it was a reversible signet ring; the stone was on a pivot, so I was sold ... and bought the ring and had my initial signature inscribed on the reverse but rarely showed that side.
I shared a room in Blackpool with a Glasgow lad who was at that time assistant manager in the Foxhall Hotel. He now and again asked me; to my mind, silly questions - one of which was how auld's yer granny?
On answering Och, jesus, she's been deid fur dunkies years he flew across the room and dived on me bringing me from the bed to the floor under a rain of blows wi' me thinking he'd flipped his bliddy lid. By the time I'd got him quietened down he was callin' me an imposter (I hadn't given the ring a thought).
But I had a lot of bad luck with the ring; the pivot kept breakin' off (I wore it all the time; even to work) and I was always paying to have it repaired. At Clydebridge Steel Works I gave it; in bits, to a workmate, showing him the signature on the reverse joking that he'd have to change his name. He said he'd wear it right side up because he was no imposter.
I wished him luck anyway.
I'd loved to have kept that ring purely because of the insignia with the compass and square but the number of times I've nearly lost fingers because of rings (I used to wear 2 on each hand ; now none rolleyes.gif ) it's probably just as well I gave it away.

* when he asked how auld's yer granny? I might have given him ma maw's co-op divi number if I'd known what he was after. tongue.gif laugh.gif

'Never be out of a job in Scotland wearing a "grippers" ring TH!!!!

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Jul 2011, 02:13am
Post #40

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (mitchell @ 3rd Jul 2011, 12:58am) *
Maybe so GG, but those identified at committing the offences were among the followers.
So what did the other 26 get lifted for?

I think we should await a full report from Strathclyde Police as to the nature of the alleged offences; however, looks like the work done by the Orange Lodge and Glasgow City Council has been very worthwhile.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 3rd Jul 2011, 04:04am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Yes but at a cost to the taxpayer.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 3rd Jul 2011, 04:31am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
THH,the type of ring you are referring to is commonly known as a swivel ring and is commonplace within the craft.The grip which has been parodied is very discreet and I would defy anyone who is not in the craft to say they recognise it.I make no secret of being a Mason and have been since 1975.Non sectarian and charitable organisation.Due to my views changing since my initiation I have not been an attender at Lodge meetings for many a year but I live by the principles of Freemasonery.
Ive had many a chuckle over the years and cant begin to describe some of the handshakes and "knowing looks."
Quite simply,for the uninitiateds' information a member of the craft can ask someone if he is a brother by giving him a challenge when meeting simply by giving him "the slip", so dont be fooled if you find yourself in a vice like grip getting your knuckles cracked.......it just doesnt happen.
Other innoccuous questions might follow but in reality a mason will know when he is in anothers company very quickly.
I hope this wee bit of Sunday morning trivia has been interesting.
On a more serious note Id like to point out that there is a world of difference between Freemasonry and any other Loyalist/Republican/"religious" organisations which have a narrower overall view and concepts. rolleyes.gif
Any man can be a Freemason,all you have to do is ask.

+Quote Post
benny
post 3rd Jul 2011, 09:57am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
As a simple cowan, Joop, ah'd like tae point out that, while there might be a world of difference between Freemasonry and such other organisations as you mentioned, there isn't always a world of difference between Freemasons and the members of such organisations. Ah've known some very bigoted Freemasons - despite the high falutin principles of the craft, On the other hand, ah've also known some very nice guys who were Freemasons. so ah'm no decryin Freemasonry as an institution, only pointin oot that there are baddies as well as goodies within the ranks.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 3rd Jul 2011, 11:17am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Benny,Ive no doubt what you say is true as there is a big cross section of people in it.
There are principles which I try to adhere to but again you are talking from personal experience and I have absolutely no reason disbelieve you.
Joop
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
fourbytwo
post 3rd Jul 2011, 06:18pm
Post #45

Resident
Member No.: 665
Never did me any good.....and I always show the '2 and a half' to anyone interested....
(have a close look at my avatar)... laugh.gif

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.