Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Sectarian Laws In Scotland, Laws to combat sectarianism
bilbo.s
post 18th Jun 2011, 05:07pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Perhaps not. I wish we hadn't either. Some people on there are hardly representative of the general board membership, just as the bigots in Glasgow are a small, if vocal and visible, minority.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 18th Jun 2011, 06:25pm
Post #17

The posts seem very moderate on this forum.... even in the Old Firm Thread which is always going to be open to attracting some 'hysterical' individuals.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 19th Jun 2011, 04:38am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (GG @ 18th Jun 2011, 09:24pm) *
I read a very interesting comment article on this subject last month in the Scotsman. Written by Michael Fry, it raises a number of issues which suggest that the new laws are both inappropriate and superfluous.

Read the full article here:
http://news.scotsman.com/religiousissuesin...sary.6774395.jp

GG.

See what hate crimes in the U.S.A. will do to you in terms of sentencing.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 19th Jun 2011, 04:45am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 19th Jun 2011, 03:15am) *
Perhaps not. I wish we hadn't either. Some people on there are hardly representative of the general board membership, just as the bigots in Glasgow are a small, if vocal and visible, minority.

Never read it until I read this post. I never will again. One of the worst offending bigots is offensive in every post he makes and that is just "the nature of the beast". I see nothing to be gained or any value to this forum by allowing the "same old, same old" a board to sound of their puerile prejudices and vexatious frustration.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 30th Jun 2011, 05:00pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
New sectarian laws what difference would they make, don't flash yer cross,jasus my wife gave me a celtic cross fer my 65th birthday as in the Celtic race or Celts if you like she is of Irish decadency me I'm a proud heilinman so we are Celts ,if for talking sake i went to an auld firm geme and had my Celtic cross which only has a lot of runes inscribed on it would i be up fer arrest,and would some one who waved an union jack and sang the national anthem according to his beliefs tae me he is a guy who would rather stay lets say doon in London and could walk by the big castle doon there and pay homage tae her maj every day tae his way o work.

Man I got nae axe tae grind wie him 'god luv him'' ,my thoughts on this kind of post are why in the first place are they posted, it only inspires more sectarian unrest and brings the bigots on BOTH sides oot o there holes tae unleash there bigoted credos ,me I have had my say on this subject christ what a snide wee nation we live in ,wance upon a time an 18 year auld guy wis conscripted intae the Brit Army he went wey a swagger, an why not he was a jock in his reasoning he came fey the best country in the world, he would show these English lads what it was tae be ah son o SCOTLAND my god now if this same lad joined the brit army he would not be so self assured ,what is happening to this country o oors damned if i know

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 30th Jun 2011, 05:25pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (auldbutcher @ 30th Jun 2011, 04:53pm) *
... she is of Irish decadency ...

I take it you meant decendantcy AB unsure.gif
Otherwise the rest of your post can be taken as read, I guess. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 1st Jul 2011, 03:05am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Heather @ 19th Jun 2011, 12:43am) *
I don't know if Religios bigotry still exists in some Companies but I know for a fact it did exist as I was turned down for a job in an office in the 1970s because of my Religion.

When I phoned the Job Centre and told the woman who sent me for the interview what had been said to me she was embarrassed and said I had all the Accounts experience the Company was looking for and she was sure I would get the job and apologised for what must have been a very upsetting experience.

Then she said there was a lot of questions she could ask me, but would be sacked if she asked my Religion.
Then in the background I heard another voice call out, " what were you thinking about sending someone with a name like hers to that place ". ohmy.gif

One of my brothers had a similar experience, but he had been warned about the Company before going for the interview. He was in his 20s at the time and when asked straight out what school he went to and what his Religion was he lied about his school and his Religion and got the job.
In a short time he was found out and the boss did everything to get try and get rid of him but as my brother said, he kept his head down and worked hard until he got another job else where.

I being so long unemployed, living in the west of Scotland, a veritable storefront of bigotry, was taken to a job interview by a salesman at Fraser and Love's store in Paisley as he had been asked to bring along a friend to fill a vacancy. The supervisor politely asked my name education status and school. He then said "we will send for you and let you know when the position is available"
"Wont you need my address as well as my school to do that?" I replied. The friend who set me up with the interview was embarrassed to the extreme and incidentally was an "Orangeman" from a well known "Orange" family.

+Quote Post
fourbytwo
post 1st Jul 2011, 10:56am
Post #23

Resident
Member No.: 665
cool.gif Already made comment on this, see 18th June, and sad to say its as if I had forecast the future.
All the lawyers and legal experts are already booking their expensive holidays, as they forsee a plethera of appeals against wrongful arrest etc, etc.
As stated before, it is noticeable that the only section of society NOT commenting upon these new Regulations, are the Police....as it so obviously gives them even more power to arrest and detain, and further reduce personal liberties......
I remain to be convinced otherwise......!

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 2nd Jul 2011, 01:09am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
QUOTE (fourbytwo @ 1st Jul 2011, 10:49am) *
cool.gif Already made comment on this, see 18th June, and sad to say its as if I had forecast the future.
All the lawyers and legal experts are already booking their expensive holidays, as they forsee a plethera of appeals against wrongful arrest etc, etc.
As stated before, it is noticeable that the only section of society NOT commenting upon these new Regulations, are the Police....as it so obviously gives them even more power to arrest and detain, and further reduce personal liberties......
I remain to be convinced otherwise......!

Therein lies the truth.

Go about Glasgow in your daily business and look, actively, for all this bigotry and sectarianism, I guarantee you will have to search far and wide, you will find it but will you find enough to warrant legislation?. I believe that it will all lead to more and more laws. And god knows what as a result, if you tolerate this, then your children will be next.

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 2nd Jul 2011, 02:31am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
I see that the silly season gets underway in Glasgow.
The Orange walk. rolleyes.gif
The police will quite rightly be serious on Booze and bigotry.
Report here from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-13993505

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 2nd Jul 2011, 03:51am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
The race relations act has been in force since the 1960s. As Rangers. F.C.
(love that acronym) were still denying Catholics the right to play for their club, for whatever reason were exempted by this law which would have not been tolerated In England. I cant help feeling that as a Catholic I was made to endure humiliation at the hands of "Scottish" bigots. I am assured by many good people here that this is no longer the case. If it is no longer the case why is there such a proposal to ban sectarianism in public. My best friend and boozing buddy before leaving Scotland was an "orangeman" with King Billy , no surrender and orange lilies tattooed along his arms. he was a hard man and wee were separated by his terms in "Peterhied". He was always at pains to assure me that his affiliations meant nothing to him and should never interfere with our friendship. He was not the only "card carrying Orangeman" I am in debt to. So I can safely say I am not bigoted towards Protestants as a whole, however, that bigotry existed then and I am not of the opinion that this has changed in my absence. Judging by some of the provocative rantings on this forum, I am proved not wrong.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 2nd Jul 2011, 07:33am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
My wife is a practising Roman Catholic, who was born on the 12 of July.
Since we where married (42 years) she has only ever had one birthday party on the day where non family members were invited, not because of any bigtory on our part concerning the 12th celebrations as we both come from mixed families. (my wife has a Rangers supporting brother. I have a Rangers supporting brother)(My wifes mother was Catholic , father Protestant. My mother Catholic father Protestant)
Even here in South Africa, Scots people that we thought we knew, people we met on a daily basis and considered good friends. (men, woman and children) those same people would display their religious intolerances that i consider verges on hatred for all things catholic.
The bile and abuse that comes out of their mouths when they work themselves up into a tribal frenzy (only discription for it) is complety un-acceptable.
I would support any attempt to stamp it out on both sides of the divide

+Quote Post
GG
post 2nd Jul 2011, 12:27pm
Post #28

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 2nd Jul 2011, 03:44am) *
... Judging by some of the provocative rantings on this forum, I am proved not wrong.

Dunvegan, or anyone else, please make sure that if you read any such provocative rantings on this forum, you use the report button to bring them to my attention.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
benny
post 2nd Jul 2011, 04:34pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 2nd Jul 2011, 04:44am) *
The race relations act has been in force since the 1960s. As Rangers. F.C.
(love that acronym) were still denying Catholics the right to play for their club, for whatever reason were exempted by this law which would have not been tolerated In England. . . . .

The Race Relations Act had nothing to do with religon, so I don't see how Rangers could have claimed exemption under it. It was designed to prevent discrimination on grounds of race, not on any other grounds.

Funnily enough, I too have experienced discrimination when applying for work, and I'm not a Catholic, although my name - O'Hara - may have fooled them. First of all there was the firm (masonic) handshake on introduction, which of course I didn't return, not being of the Brotherhood. Then, a quick look at my school, which must have thrown them - no a "Saint" in sight. This may have been counteracted by the fact that I had an "O" level in Latin, because ah got another firm handshake on leavin - jist tae gie me a second chance tae pass the secret grip. Ah failed miserably again though, and didnae get the job. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
wombat
post 2nd Jul 2011, 10:18pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
rolleyes.gif care tae elaborate on the "secret grip" benny?

and dont tell me its a secret biggrin.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.