Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nasa, Earthlike planet discovery imminent
TeeHeeHee
post 17th Jan 2010, 11:51pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Och, that's no funny. I've got a cataract on my left eye too. sad.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 25th Jan 2010, 11:30am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Wee update from the Astronomer Royal.

The chance of discovering life on other worlds is greater than ever, according to Britain's leading astronomer.

Lord Rees, the president of the Royal Society and Astronomer Royal, said
"Such a discovery would be a moment which would change humanity. It would change our view of ourselves and our place in the cosmos."

His comments come as scientists gather in London for an international conference to discuss the prospect of discovering extra-terrestrial life. Scientists have been scanning the skies for radio broadcasts from intelligent life for 50 years, and so far they have only heard static.

Lord Rees went on to add.

But the chances of discovering life now were better than ever.

Technology has advanced so that for the very first time we can actually have the realistic hope of detecting planets no bigger than the earth orbiting other stars. (We'll be able to learn) whether they have continents and oceans, learning what type of atmosphere they have.

Although it is a long shot to be able to learn more about any life of them, then it's tendous progress to be able to get some sort of image of another planet, rather like the earth orbiting another star.

The recent deployment of space telescopes capable of detecting earth-like planets around distant stars now make it possible to focus the search.

And finally...

Were we to find life, even the simplest life, elsewhere that would clearly be one of the great discoveries of the 21st Century. "I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms that we can't conceive, and there could, of course, be forms of intelligence beyond human capacity, beyond as much as we are beyond a chimpanzee.

Well, I am not so sure how far "beyond" chimps some people are. Still it is only a matter of time before something pops up on the screen. Let's hope it isn't anything like too much like us lot and is a just a wee bit more environmentally friendly and disnea regard us as a "food source."

Mind ye, who in their right mind would want to come to a polluted world thats running out of resources with a booming population.

Yikes...

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 4th Feb 2010, 08:04am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Just when Obama is cutting back on NASA's funding, we get a once in a lifetime picture from that old work-horse the Hubble Telescope. Coincidently pointing in the right direction at the right time the Hubble photographed this cosmic collision between two asteroids travelling at 5 times the speed of a bullet, or two as the case may be, 90,000 000 kilometers away between Mars and Jupiter ... By comparison the sun is 150.000,000 kilometers away (in the other direction rolleyes.gif )
Courtesy of CNN (ahem)
Attached Image

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
carmella
post 23rd Feb 2010, 07:18pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I would consider myself to be a logical thinker (maybe others would disagree, however.) But, it has always been logical for me to believe that within our own solar system, earth may well be the only inhabited planet perhaps!

Outside of our solar system, I cannot possibly even begin to think that there is not life out there somewhere - it's just doesn't make sense to me.

I struggle at times even with the notion that in all the outer limits of space, the only planet containing life as we perceive it, is Earth.

I wish I could live long enough to find out if I am right or wrong - but I just don't see any evidence of a positive nature which is beyond reproach, being discovered whilst I live.

Sad really!

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Feb 2010, 10:33pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Some amazing creatures have been discovered in the depths of our oceans which was until fairly recently assumed to be hostile to life at such great depths. I think the idea was that the pressure would be too great beneath a depth of 400 meters or that where the Sun's light doesn't penetrate there could be no life. Now it is known that there are life forms which have adapted perfectly to live in the deepest regions of the ocean and other forms which manage quite well without the sun, thank you very much.
So who can say what, if indeed any, forms of life exist under the panzer ice which covers some of the moons orbiting the great gas planets in our solar system. If life could be brought pan stellar to our planet and those of our system then, for me at any rate, it stands to reason that some of the planets orbiting other favourable stars must also be capable of sustaining life of some form or other.
Of course you may already understand that it interests me deeply to read of the Gods whom the Bible explains to us descended from and took with them three prophets (one of whom they shortly brought back) up into the heavens.
They didn't come from out of a clear blue sky but imaginably a bit further out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 24th Feb 2010, 10:21pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 23rd Feb 2010, 07:16pm) *
I wish I could live long enough to find out if I am right or wrong - but I just don't see any evidence of a positive nature which is beyond reproach, being discovered whilst I live.

Well speaking as outsider, you Earthlings are strange species.

Carmella, I feel that it is a certainty there are other lifeforms, the distances are vast, the speed of light is a natural speed limit. which would hamper any attempts at travelling these distances in a normal lifetime, ignoring time dilation. The simplest explaination tends to be the best!

Electomagnetic signals from other civilisations would be weak as to be barely detectable. The Human made electomag bubble is expanding since the first radio broadcast, there is natural radio emission from electrical storms, all this jumbled up with all the other natural background noise and what not going make for a lot of work for the egg heads here on earth and the wee green men, dependent on thier level of technology.

I would not be so quick so say that life will not be detected in your lifetime, perhaps we are on the cusp of amazing new discoverys that will change the way we think forever. There is almost certainly life, but it might be just as we know it. Just look how wonderfully diverse life is on these wee lump of rock. We know less about what is lurking in our ocean than we do the back side of the moon.

Also, ponder just how fast technology has advanced in the last 50 years, whats the next 10 going to bring!

Keeping the faith here and keep looking out for "those little green men!" an a don't mean them bunch o' mud splashers frea Parkhied.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 24th Feb 2010, 10:59pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 23rd Feb 2010, 08:16pm) *
Outside of our solar system, I cannot possibly even begin to think that there is not life out there

I wish I could live long enough to find out if I am right or wrong .

Carmella, many moons ago He Who Dance With Cats speak on great GG Boards and tell of Red Sister, She Who Dance With Wee Grey Men.
She Who Dance With Wee Grey Men come from Hopi Tribe.
Hopi no speak with fork tongue like paleface brother.
She Who Dance With Wee Grey Men, live in land far away, many days on Iron Horse.
This land of big chief Sitting Bilbo.
Me ask big chief Sitting Bilbo send smoke signal, pow wow with She Who Dance With Wee Grey Men.
Smoke heap big piece in pipe unsure.gif ...... smoke heap big peace pipe wub.gif
(He Who Dance With Cats speak with forked tongue)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 24th Feb 2010, 11:35pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Reading this thread have decided to make a confession. I know you are not going to believe me when I tell you that I am really a visitor from the planet Tishllub which is one of the major planets of our sun named Navog located 27 light years from Earth in the spiral galaxy of Kitrap. Whatever. I must tell you that I observed you for many aeons from Tishllub before travelling to Earth some 60 of your years ago.
It is only fair to reveal my true image to you all .........
Attached Image
I hope you will not be too upset by my appearance which I understand may be a surprise to you as you are accustomed to the earthling image I have taken on and displayed here in the past.
Yes, there is life 'out there' and I am the living proof. There are many other planets in many galaxies, such as Slabrog, Notlac, Xorbi and Kollop . These are the homes of creatures that you would not recognise as 'human' in earthling terms, but diversely strange-looking to you.Their habits and lifestyle would be beyond your comprehension. I have become familiar with your earthling traits and have passed as one of you for many of your years now and no-one has ever seen my true self till now. Be grateful earthlings that you have had a Tishlluber like me within your community here on Earth but be aware that I can no longer survive your atmosphere and must return to my home and family very soon. Here is my son who is now about 450 of your years old now
Attached Image I miss him so much.
To conclude. Yes, we are out there and when I return home and report, be assured we will be staying 'out there'
Attached Image

Your friend Bar.

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 24th Feb 2010, 11:40pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (Rab @ 24th Feb 2010, 11:33pm) *
I hope you will not be too upset by my appearance

Big improvement, to tell the truth.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 24th Feb 2010, 11:41pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Ahhh so yer that wee guy that pretends to be an Azgard on Stargate, ye've been rummbit, ya wee bugger.

Now where did a pit ma pest control plasma plasma blaster, ach Zapp Brannigan must have it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
carmella
post 25th Feb 2010, 12:23am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 24th Feb 2010, 11:39pm) *
Ahhh so yer that wee guy that pretends to be an Azgard on Stargate, ye've been rummbit, ya wee bugger.

Now where did a pit ma pest control plasma plasma blaster, ach Zapp Brannigan must have it.

Oh don't tell me you are a big Dr. Who fan tae laugh.gif

You've been rumbled!!

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 25th Feb 2010, 12:30am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 25th Feb 2010, 12:21am) *
Oh don't tell me you are a big Dr. Who fan tae laugh.gif

You've been rumbled!!

Who?... <ducks ahint the sofa> Time he had a sex change!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 25th Feb 2010, 12:33am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 24th Feb 2010, 11:38pm) *
Big improvement, to tell the truth.

Aye, ye can pit yer mask back oan noo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 25th Feb 2010, 07:37pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 25th Feb 2010, 12:31am) *
Aye, ye can pit yer mask back oan noo.

You mean death-mask! Those who offend me will regret.

+Quote Post
auchenshuggle
post 25th Feb 2010, 09:22pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,409
your appearance does not upset me rab, it must be you way of easing your kind on us mere earthlings. as many of us look like that on a sunday morning anyway, and then revert back to our "EARTHLY LOOK", is that just to not frighten us so much? sad.gif

--------------------
i saw a coo upon a hill its no there noo it mustve vanished.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.