Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nasa, Earthlike planet discovery imminent
Rabbie
post 8th Jan 2010, 11:28am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Astronomers say they are on the verge of finding planets like Earth orbiting other stars, a key step in determining if we are alone in the universe.

A top Nasa astronomer and other leading scientists say that within four or five years they should discover the first Earth-like planet where life could develop, or may have already.

A planet close to the size of Earth could even be found this year if preliminary hints from a new space telescope pan out.

At the annual American Astronomical Society conference in Washington this week, each discovery involving so-called "exoplanets" - those outside our solar system - pointed to the same conclusion: quiet planets like Earth where life could develop are probably plentiful, despite a violent universe of exploding stars, crushing black holes and colliding galaxies.

Nasa's new Kepler telescope and a wealth of new research from the suddenly hot and competitive exoplanet field generated noticeable buzz at the convention.

Scientists are talking about being at "an incredible special place in history" and closer to answering a question that has dogged humanity since the beginning of civilisation.

"The fundamental question is: are we alone? For the first time, there's an optimism that sometime in our lifetimes we're going to get to the bottom of that," said Simon "Pete" Worden, an astronomer who heads Nasa's Ames Research Centre.

"If I were a betting man, which I am, I would bet we're not alone -- there is a lot of life."

Even the Roman Catholic Church has held scientific conferences about the prospect of extraterrestrial life, including a meeting last November.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 8th Jan 2010, 02:41pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
It's obvious that there are exoplanets which support other life forms. Where else could the half of the bummers in our governments have come from Rabbie? rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 8th Jan 2010, 04:10pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
'Even the Roman Catholic Church has held scientific conferences about the prospect of extraterrestrial life, including a meeting last November.'

You bet they are! They will have a lot of explaining to do - along with the others!

+Quote Post
weemagreegur
post 8th Jan 2010, 04:46pm
Post #4

Special Visitor
Member No.: 4,397
Ah hope there is a god that keeps mankind well an truly tethered here on earth tae we learn some basics aboot how tae keep oor livin space healthy. Wid be interested, though in how the various churches wid welcom the competition o different life forms, even different religions if mankind his managed tae get that faur afore. Ah hope we ur forced intae look bit don't touch situation fur aeons yet, at least tae we evolve enough o a brain tae no assume we kin dae as we please wi ither planets and ither lifeforms. Course, it is merr than possible the lifeforms on ither planets, if there ur any will see us as fresh fodder, tainted though we might be.

Bit ur we even gonny be permitted tae look wayyyy oot intae space if we let oorsels be chained tae religions that wid enslave aw oor minds? Whit's the chances o mulsim Britain educatin anybiddy beyond the koran, if it isny in the interests o the mad mullahs?

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 8th Jan 2010, 10:14pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (weemagreegur @ 8th Jan 2010, 04:44pm) *
Bit ur we even gonny be permitted tae look wayyyy oot intae space if we let oorsels be chained tae religions that wid enslave aw oor minds?

What religions do you have in mind that "enslave minds"?

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 8th Jan 2010, 10:27pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 8th Jan 2010, 02:39pm) *
It's obvious that there are exoplanets which support other life forms. Where else could the half of the bummers in our governments have come from Rabbie? :rolleyes

England?

tongue.gif

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 9th Jan 2010, 01:54am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 8th Jan 2010, 10:12pm) *

Alex. Is that a tongue I see in your cheek? Take your pick! laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 9th Jan 2010, 02:19am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Rab @ 9th Jan 2010, 02:52am) *
Alex. Is that a tongue I see in your cheek? Take your pick! laugh.gif

Rab, is that a pick I see in your tongue? you've a cheek tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Tam blair
post 9th Jan 2010, 03:49am
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,005
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 9th Jan 2010, 02:17am) *
Rab, is that a pick I see in your tongue? you've a cheek tongue.gif

T H, After you've picked your cheek wi your tongue, whit then. unsure.gif

--------------------
Ozzie down under

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 9th Jan 2010, 12:33pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Tam blair @ 9th Jan 2010, 03:47am) *
T H, After you've picked your cheek wi your tongue, whit then. unsure.gif

You Take Your Pick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sstrj15XpWQ...layer_embedded#

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 9th Jan 2010, 12:48pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Rab @ 9th Jan 2010, 01:52am) *
Alex. Is that a tongue I see in your cheek? Take your pick!

Och, I just glimpsed a nice fat trout slipping by in the water, and thought I'd put out a hook to see if I could reel him in...

Just sitting here with my gutting knife and sharpening stone... shick, shick, shick

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 9th Jan 2010, 05:54pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Attached Image Can't wait!

+Quote Post
Tam blair
post 9th Jan 2010, 08:24pm
Post #13

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,005
QUOTE (Rab @ 9th Jan 2010, 12:31pm) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Ozzie down under

+Quote Post
weemagreegur
post 11th Jan 2010, 08:17pm
Post #14

Special Visitor
Member No.: 4,397
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 8th Jan 2010, 11:12pm) *

Well, ah believe that any religion that insists on wan interpretation o preferred ancient tomes, and will not tolerate any re-consideration or examination of the tenets and dogma haunded doon fur generations, binds its adherents as firmly as any glue. Aye, some religions encourage folk tae question everything, bit the predominant three, Judaism, christianity,and islam, are not open to questions by the uncovinced. Death or torment are great persuaders, but no proof of anything but might for wrong.

If ever there wis a time for real wonder and awe at this wonderful universe, this is it, when we kin see before oor very eyes whit is oot there. Of course, even that his tae be taken on some sort of faith; fur aw we know it is aw smoke an mirrors. Bit seein it is wonderful disny prove how it came aboot. Nae religion ah know aboot admits that we don't know an mibbe wurny meant tae know.

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 11th Jan 2010, 09:20pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (weemagreegur @ 11th Jan 2010, 08:15pm) *
Well, ah believe that any religion that insists on wan interpretation o preferred ancient tomes, and will not tolerate any re-consideration or examination of the tenets and dogma haunded doon fur generations, binds its adherents as firmly as any glue.
Aye, some religions encourage folk tae question everything, bit the predominant three, Judaism, christianity,and islam, are not open to questions by the uncovinced.

The empirical evidence is against the notion that adherents are firmly bound to the religion because it will not tolerate examination of the tenets of the faith. If it were true, you would not be able to explain why it is that church attendances and memberships are falling. I have no experience of Judaism or Islam, but the tenets of Christianity are regularly examined and re-considered ; the practice of Christianity in the twenty-first century is in many ways different from that of even a hundred years ago. If Christianity did not admit different interpretations, there would be only one stream of Christian thought and perspective, and this is patently untrue ; the empirical evidence is against your argument.

Death or torment are great persuaders, but no proof of anything but might for wrong.

What do you have in mind as "death or torment"?

Nae religion ah know aboot admits that we don't know an mibbe wurny meant tae know.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.